Lessons for Nuclear Cardiology from the DCRI/ACCF/AHA radiation think tank
- Andrew J. Einstein MD, PhD
- … show all 1 hide
This issue of the Journal contains a summary1 of proceedings of a think tank on patient radiation safety in adult cardiology, held in Tyson’s Corner, Virginia in February 2011. The summit was convened by the Duke Clinical Research Institute together with the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association, and included participation by numerous professional societies sharing this concern, including ASNC. The think tank included a plenary session with talks on various aspects of the problem of patient radiation safety by luminaries in cardiac imaging as well as by industry and regulatory experts, a friendly debate on the benefits and risks of ionizing radiation for cardiovascular care, and breakout groups which developed goals—and strategies for accomplishing these goals—related to four critical issues: risk estimation, measuring and reporting radiation dose, dose-reduction strategies, and education and communication about radiation.
An emphasis of the think tank and its pr ...
- Douglas PS, Carr JJ, Cerqueira MD, et al. Developing an action plan for patient radiation safety in adult cardiovascular medicine: proceedings from the Duke University Clinical Research Institute/American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association think tank held on February 28, 2011. J Nucl Cardiol 2012. doi:10.1007/s12350-012-9545-6.
- Einstein, AJ (2012) Effects of radiation exposure from cardiac imaging how good are the data?. J Am Coll Cardiol 59: pp. 553-565 CrossRef
- http://www.imagewisely.org/. Accessed March 20, 2012.
- http://choosingwisely.org/. Accessed March 20, 2012.
- Zhou, H, Randers-Pehrson, G, Waldren, CA, Vannais, D, Hall, EJ, Hei, TK (2000) Induction of a bystander mutagenic effect of alpha particles in mammalian cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: pp. 2099-2104 CrossRef
- Olivieri, G, Bodycote, J, Wolff, S (1984) Adaptive response of human lymphocytes to low concentrations of radioactive thymidine. Science 223: pp. 594-597 CrossRef
- Kennedy, AR, Cairns, J, Little, JB (1984) Timing of the steps in transformation of C3H 10T 1/2 cells by X-irradiation. Nature 307: pp. 85-86 CrossRef
- Low-dose extrapolation of radiation-related cancer risk ICRP Publication 99. Ann ICRP 35: pp. 1-140
- Barcellos-Hoff, MH, Brenner, DJ, Brooks, AL (2011) Low-dose radiation knowledge worth the cost. Science 332: pp. 305-306 CrossRef
- Cerqueira, MD, Allman, KC, Ficaro, EP (2010) Recommendations for reducing radiation exposure in myocardial perfusion imaging. J Nucl Cardiol. 17: pp. 709-718 CrossRef
- Fazel, R, Dilsizian, V, Einstein, AJ, Ficaro, EP, Henzlova, M, Shaw, LJ (2011) Strategies for defining an optimal risk-benefit ratio for stress myocardial perfusion SPECT. J Nucl Cardiol 18: pp. 385-392 CrossRef
- Depuey, EG, Mahmarian, JJ, Miller, TD (2012) Patient-centered imaging. J Nucl Cardiol 19: pp. 185-215 CrossRef
- Hendel, RC, Berman, DS, Carli, MF (2009) ACCF/ASNC/ACR/AHA/ASE/SCCT/SCMR/SNM 2009 Appropriate Use Criteria for Cardiac Radionuclide Imaging: A Report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force, the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, the American College of Radiology, the American Heart Association, the American Society of Echocardiography, the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, and the Society of Nuclear Medicine. J Am Coll Cardiol 53: pp. 2201-2229 CrossRef
- Lessons for Nuclear Cardiology from the DCRI/ACCF/AHA radiation think tank
Journal of Nuclear Cardiology
Volume 19, Issue 3 , pp 407-409
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, 622 West 168th Street, PH 10-203, New York, NY, 10032, USA