Reduced stress dose with rapid acquisition CZT SPECT MPI in a non-obese clinical population: Comparison to coronary angiography
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cadmium Zinc Telluride (CZT) SPECT camera technology has the potential to reduce patient’s radiation exposure and shorten imaging time. This study evaluated the correlation of low stress tracer dose, rapid CZT SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging (MPI) to coronary angiography in a <200-lbs population to further validate its ability to achieve both goals while preserving diagnostic accuracy.
All patients who had a low-dose stress (≤15 mCi) Tc-99m sestamibi SPECT MPI study using a CZT camera (GE Discovery NM 530c) with 3- to 5-minute image acquisition over a 2-year period followed by a coronary angiogram within 2 months were included. Patients with a history of coronary revascularization, left ventricular dysfunction, and LBBB or paced rhythms were excluded. Both MPI studies and coronary angiograms were interpreted by blinded readers and coronary artery disease (CAD) was defined as ≥70% stenosis.
A total of 71 patients were included with a mean age of 64 years, 55% male, and a BMI of 25.4 kg/m2 with an average stress dose of 13.3 mCi. Exercise stress was performed in 54% of patients and vasodilator pharmacologic stress in 46%. Sensitivity was 89%, specificity was 66%, and accuracy was 78% for detecting obstructive CAD.
In this group of non-obese patients undergoing low stress dose imaging, high-efficiency CZT SPECT imaging demonstrated a high sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy for detecting obstructive epicardial CAD with a greatly reduced imaging time.
- Garcia, EV, Faber, TL, Esteves, FP (2011) Cardiac dedicated ultrafast SPECT cameras: New designs and clinical implications. J Nucl Med 52: pp. 210-217 CrossRef
- Einstein, AJ, Moser, KW, Thompson, RC, Cerqueira, MD, Henzlova, MJ (2007) Radiation dose to patients from cardiac diagnostic imaging. Circulation 116: pp. 1290-1305 CrossRef
- Henzlova, MJ, Duvall, WL (2011) The future of SPECT MPI: Time and dose reduction. J Nucl Cardiol 18: pp. 580-587 CrossRef
- Sharir, T, Ben-Haim, S, Merzon, K, Prochorov, V, Dickman, D, Berman, DS (2008) High-speed myocardial perfusion imaging initial clinical comparison with conventional dual detector anger camera imaging. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 1: pp. 156-163 CrossRef
- Sharir, T, Slomka, PJ, Hayes, SW, DiCarli, MF, Ziffer, JA, Martin, WH (2010) Multicenter trial of high-speed versus conventional single-photon emission computed tomography imaging: Quantitative results of myocardial perfusion and left ventricular function. J Am Coll Cardiol 55: pp. 1965-1974 CrossRef
- Esteves, FP, Raggi, P, Folks, RD, Keidar, Z, Askew, JW, Rispler, S (2009) Novel solid-state-detector dedicated cardiac camera for fast myocardial perfusion imaging: Multicenter comparison with standard dual detector cameras. J Nucl Cardiol 16: pp. 927-934 CrossRef
- Buechel, RR, Herzog, BA, Husmann, L, Burger, IA, Pazhenkottil, AP, Treyer, V (2010) Ultrafast nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging on a new gamma camera with semiconductor detector technique: First clinical validation. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 37: pp. 773-778 CrossRef
- Herzog, BA, Buechel, RR, Katz, R, Brueckner, M, Husmann, L, Burger, IA (2010) Nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging with a cadmium-zinc-telluride detector technique: Optimized protocol for scan time reduction. J Nucl Med 51: pp. 46-51 CrossRef
- Gimelli, A, Bottai, M, Giorgetti, A, Genovesi, D, Kusch, A, Ripoli, A (2011) Comparison between ultrafast and standard single-photon emission CT in patients with coronary artery disease: A pilot study. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 4: pp. 51-58 CrossRef
- Songy, B, Lussato, D, Guernou, M, Queneau, M, Geronazzo, R (2011) Comparison of myocardial perfusion imaging using thallium-201 between a new cadmium-zinc-telluride cardiac camera and a conventional SPECT camera. Clin Nucl Med 36: pp. 776-780 CrossRef
- Duvall, WL, Croft, LB, Godiwala, T, Ginsberg, E, George, T, Henzlova, MJ (2010) Reduced isotope dose with rapid SPECT MPI imaging: Initial experience with a CZT SPECT camera. J Nucl Cardiol 17: pp. 1009-1014 CrossRef
- Duvall, WL, Croft, LB, Ginsberg, ES, Einstein, AJ, Guma, KA, George, T (2011) Reduced isotope dose and imaging time with a high efficiency CZT SPECT camera. J Nucl Cardiol 18: pp. 847-57 CrossRef
- Nkoulou, R, Pazhenkottil, AP, Kuest, SM, Ghadri, JR, Wolfrum, M, Husmann, L (2011) Semiconductor detectors allow low-dose-low-dose 1-day SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging. J Nucl Med 52: pp. 1204-1209 CrossRef
- Nakazato, R, Tamarappoo, BK, Kang, X, Wolak, A, Kite, F, Hayes, SW (2010) Quantitative upright-supine high-speed SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging for detection of coronary artery disease: Correlation with invasive coronary angiography. J Nucl Med 51: pp. 1724-1731 CrossRef
- Duvall, WL, Sweeny, JM, Croft, LB, Barghash, MH, Kulkarni, NK, Guma, KA (2011) Comparison of high efficiency CZT SPECT MPI to coronary angiography. J Nucl Cardiol 18: pp. 595-604 CrossRef
- Fiechter, M, Ghadri, JR, Kuest, SM, Pazhenkottil, AP, Wolfrum, M, Nkoulou, RN (2011) Nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging with a novel cadmium-zinc-telluride detector SPECT/CT device: First validation versus invasive coronary angiography. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 38: pp. 2025-30 CrossRef
- Gimelli A, Bottai M, Genovesi D, Giorgetti A, Di Martino F, Marzullo P. High diagnostic accuracy of low-dose gated-SPECT with solid-state ultrafast detectors: Preliminary clinical results. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2011. Sept 2 [Epub ahead of print].
- Hansen, CL, Goldstein, RA, Berman, DS, Churchwell, KB, Cooke, CD, Corbett, JR (2006) Myocardial perfusion and function single photon emission computed tomography. J Nucl Cardiol 13: pp. e97-e120 CrossRef
- Henzlova, MJ, Cerqueira, MD, Hansen, CL, Taillefer, R, Yao, SS (2009) ASNC Imaging Guidelines for nuclear cardiology procedures: Stress protocols and tracers. J Nucl Cardiol 16: pp. 331 CrossRef
- Henzlova, MJ, Cerqueira, MD, Mahmarian, JJ, Yao, SS (2006) Stress protocols and tracers. J Nucl Cardiol 13: pp. e80-e90 CrossRef
- Hendel, RC, Berman, DS, Carli, MF, Heidenreich, PA, Henkin, RE, Pellikka, PA (2009) ACCF/ASNC/ACR/AHA/ASE/SCCT/SCMR/SNM 2009 appropriate use criteria for cardiac radionuclide imaging: A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force, the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, the American College of Radiology, the American Heart Association, the American Society of Echocardiography, the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, and the Society of Nuclear Medicine. Circulation 119: pp. e561-e587 CrossRef
- Cerqueira, MD, Weissman, NJ, Dilsizian, V, Jacobs, AK, Kaul, S, Laskey, WK (2002) Standardized myocardial segmentation and nomenclature for tomographic imaging of the heart: A statement for healthcare professionals from the Cardiac Imaging Committee of the Council on Clinical Cardiology of the American Heart Association. J Nucl Cardiol 9: pp. 240-245 CrossRef
- Fazel, R, Krumholz, HM, Wang, Y, Ross, JS, Chen, J, Ting, HH (2009) Exposure to low-dose ionizing radiation from medical imaging procedures. N Engl J Med 361: pp. 849-857 CrossRef
- Berrington de Gonzalez, A, Kim, KP, Smith-Bindman, R, McAreavey, D (2010) Myocardial perfusion scans: Projected population cancer risks from current levels of use in the United States. Circulation 122: pp. 2403-2410 CrossRef
- Cerqueira MD, Allman KC, Ficaro EP, Hansen CL, Nichols KJ, Thompson RC, et al. ASNC Information Statement: Recommendations for reducing radiation exposure in myocardial perfusion imaging 2010. http://www.asnc.org/imageuploads/RadiationReduction060110.pdf.
- Borges-Neto, S, Pagnanelli, RA, Shaw, LK, Honeycutt, E, Shwartz, SC, Adams, GL (2007) Clinical results of a novel wide beam reconstruction method for shortening scan time of Tc-99m cardiac SPECT perfusion studies. J Nucl Cardiol 14: pp. 555-565 CrossRef
- Depuey, EG, Bommireddipalli, S, Clark, J, Leykekhman, A, Thompson, LB, Friedman, M (2011) A comparison of the image quality of full-time myocardial perfusion SPECT vs wide beam reconstruction half-time and half-dose SPECT. J Nucl Cardiol 18: pp. 273-80 CrossRef
- Herzog, BA, Husmann, L, Buechel, RR, Pazhenkottil, AP, Burger, IA, Valenta, I (2010) Rapid cardiac hybrid imaging with minimized radiation dose for accurate non-invasive assessment of ischemic coronary artery disease. Int J Cardiol 153: pp. 10-3 CrossRef
- Reduced stress dose with rapid acquisition CZT SPECT MPI in a non-obese clinical population: Comparison to coronary angiography
Journal of Nuclear Cardiology
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 19-27
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- coronary artery disease
- diagnostic and prognostic application
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mount Sinai Division of Cardiology (Mount Sinai Heart), Mount Sinai Medical Center, One Gustave L Levy Place, P.O. Box 1030, New York, NY, 10029, USA
- 2. Mount Sinai Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Medical Center, One Gustave L Levy Place, P.O. Box 1030, New York, NY, 10029, USA