Advancing the paradigm for cardiovascular imaging research
- Michael S. Lauer MD
- … show all 1 hide
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The views expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the NHLBI, the NIH, or the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
- Frolkis JP, Pothier CE, Blackstone EH, Lauer MS. Frequent ventricular ectopy after exercise as a predictor of death. N Engl J Med 2003;348:781-90. CrossRef
- Becker MC, Galla JM, Nissen SE. Left main trunk coronary artery dissection as a consequence of inaccurate coronary computed tomographic angiography. Arch Intern Med 2011;171:698-701. CrossRef
- Schilling FH, Spix C, Berthold F, Erttmann R, Fehse N, Hero B, et al. Neuroblastoma screening at one year of age. N Engl J Med 2002;346:1047-53. CrossRef
- Iglehart JK. Health insurers and medical-imaging policy—a work in progress. N Engl J Med 2009;360:1030-7. CrossRef
- Lauer MS. Elements of danger—the case of medical imaging. N Engl J Med 2009;361:841-3. CrossRef
- Farrell D, Jensen E, Kocher B, Lovegrove N, Melhem F, Mendonca L, et al. Accounting for the cost of US health care: A new look at why Americans spend more. From the McKinsey Global Institute, December 2008. http://www.mckinsey.com/mgi/reports/pdfs/healthcare/US_healthcare_report.pdf. Accessed October 11, 2011.
- Gorman C. How new heart-scanning technology could save your life. Time Magazine, August 28, 2005. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1098960,00.html. Accessed October 11, 2011.
- Berenson A, Abelson B. The evidence gap: Weighing the costs of a CT scan’s look inside the heart. New York Times, June 29, 2008. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/business/29scan.html?pagewanted=all. Accessed October 11, 2011.
- Hillman BJ, Goldsmith JC. The uncritical use of high-tech medical imaging. N Engl J Med 2010;363:4-6. CrossRef
- Bonow RO. Sixth Annual Mario S. Verani, MD Memorial Lecture: Cardiovascular imaging—added value or added cost? J Nucl Cardiol 2008;15:170-7. CrossRef
- Douglas PS. Improving imaging: Our professional imperative. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;48:2152-5. CrossRef
- Emanuel EJ, Fuchs VR. The perfect storm of overutilization. JAMA 2008;299:2789-91. CrossRef
- Buys SS, Partridge E, Black A, Johnson CC, Lamerato L, Isaacs C, et al. Effect of screening on ovarian cancer mortality: The prostate, lung, colorectal and ovarian (PLCO) cancer screening randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2011;305:2295-303. CrossRef
- Chou R, Crosswell JM, Dana T, Bougatsos C, Blazina I, Fu R, et al. Screening for prostate cancer: A review of the evidence for the US Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2011 (published on-line on October 7, 2011). http://www.annals.org/content/early/2011/10/07/0003-4819-155-11-201112060-00375.1.abstract?sid=96428cf2-4030-4c81-80c6-20805aba7cc8.
- Young LH, Wackers FJ, Chyun DA, Davey JA, Barrett EJ, Taillefer R, et al. Cardiac outcomes after screening for asymptomatic coronary artery disease in patients with type 2 diabetes: The DIAD study: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2009;301:1547-55. CrossRef
- Lord SJ, Irwig L, Simes RJ. When is measuring sensitivity and specificity sufficient to evaluate a diagnostic test, and when do we need randomized trials? Ann Intern Med 2006;144:850-5.
- Lauer MS. Pseudodisease, the next great epidemic in coronary atherosclerosis? Comment on “Impact of coronary computed tomographic angiography results on patient and physician behavior in a low-risk population”. Arch Intern Med 2011;171:1268-9. CrossRef
- Black WC, Czum JM. Screening coronary CT angiography: No time soon. J Am Coll Radiol 2007;4:295-9. CrossRef
- Feinstein AR, Sosin DM, Wells CK. The Will Rogers phenomenon. Stage migration and new diagnostic techniques as a source of misleading statistics for survival in cancer. N Engl J Med 1985;312:1604-8. CrossRef
- Lauer MS. What now with screening electrocardiography? Ann Intern Med 2011;155:395-7.
- Aberle DR, Adams AM, Berg CD, Black WC, Clapp JD, Fagerstrom RM, et al. Reduced lung-cancer mortality with low-dose computed tomographic screening. N Engl J Med 2011;365:395-409. CrossRef
- Tonino PA, De Bruyne B, Pijls NH, Siebert U, Ikeno F, van’t Veer M, et al. Fractional flow reserve versus angiography for guiding percutaneous coronary intervention. N Engl J Med 2009;360:213-24. CrossRef
- Dorbala S, Beller GA, Shaw LJ, Udelson JE, Iskandrian AE. Advancing the research mission of ASNC. J Nucl Cardiol 2011;18:534-5. CrossRef
- Advancing the paradigm for cardiovascular imaging research
Journal of Nuclear Cardiology
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 5-8
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Cardiovascular Sciences, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), 6701 Rockledge Drive, Room 8128, Bethesda, MD, 20892, USA