Motion frozen 18F-FDG cardiac PET
PET reconstruction incorporating spatially variant 3D Point Spread Function (PSF) improves contrast and image resolution. “Cardiac Motion Frozen” (CMF) processing eliminates the influence of cardiac motion in static summed images. We have evaluated the combined use of CMF- and PSF-based reconstruction for high-resolution cardiac PET.
Static and 16-bin ECG-gated images of 20 patients referred for 18F-FDG myocardial viability scans were obtained on a Siemens Biograph-64. CMF was applied to the gated images reconstructed with PSF. Myocardium to blood contrast, maximum left ventricle (LV) counts to defect contrast, contrast-to-noise (CNR) and wall thickness with standard reconstruction (2D-AWOSEM), PSF, ED-gated PSF, and CMF-PSF were compared.
The measured wall thickness was 18.9 ± 5.2 mm for 2D-AWOSEM, 16.6 ± 4.5 mm for PSF, and 13.8 ± 3.9 mm for CMF-PSF reconstructed images (all P < .05). The CMF-PSF myocardium to blood and maximum LV counts to defect contrasts (5.7 ± 2.7, 10.0 ± 5.7) were higher than for 2D-AWOSEM (3.5 ± 1.4, 6.5 ± 3.1) and for PSF (3.9 ± 1.7, 7.7 ± 3.7) (CMF vs all other, P < .05). The CNR for CMF-PSF (26.3 ± 17.5) was comparable to PSF (29.1 ± 18.3), but higher than for ED-gated dataset (13.7 ± 8.8, P < .05).
Combined CMF-PSF reconstruction increased myocardium to blood contrast, maximum LV counts to defect contrast and maintained equivalent noise when compared to static summed 2D-AWOSEM and PSF reconstruction.
- Panin VY, Kehren F, Michel C, Casey M. Fully 3-D PET reconstruction with system matrix derived from point source measurements. IEEE Trans Med Imaging 2006;25:907-21. CrossRef
- Le Meunier L, Slomka P, Dey D, Ramesh A, Thomson L, Hayes S, et al. Enhanced definition PET for cardiac imaging. J Nucl Cardiol 2010;17:414-26. CrossRef
- Slomka PJ, Nishina H, Berman DS, Kang X, Akincioglu C, Friedman JD, et al. “Motion-frozen” display and quantification of myocardial perfusion. J Nucl Med 2004;45:1128-34.
- Kudo T. Metabolic imaging using PET. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2007;34:49-61. CrossRef
- Jonsson C, Odh R, Schnell PO, Larsson SA. A comparison of the imaging properties of a 3-and 4-ring biograph PET scanner using a novel extended NEMA phantom. IEEE Nucl Sci Symp Conf Rec 2007;4:2865-7.
- Townsend D, Jakoby B, Long M, Carr C, Hubner K, Guglielmo C, et al. Performance and clinical workflow of a new combined PET/CT scanner. J Nucl Med 2007;48:437.
- Kadrmas D, Casey M, Conti M, Jakoby B, Lois C, Townsend D. Impact of time-of-flight on PET tumor detection. J Nucl Med 2009;50:1315. CrossRef
- Slomka P, Dorbala S, Berman D, Gerlach J, Germano G, DiCarli M. Automated quantification and normal limits for myocardial perfusion stress/rest Rb-82 PET/CT. J Nucl Med 2009;50:1164. CrossRef
- Cerqueira M, Weissman N, Dilsizian V, Jacobs A, Kaul S, Laskey W et al. Standardized myocardial segmentation and nomenclature for tomographic imaging of the heart a statement for healthcare professionals from the Cardiac Imaging Committee of the Council on Clinical Cardiology of the American Heart Association. 2002. p. 539-42
- Suzuki Y, Slomka P, Wolak A, Ohba M, Suzuki S, De Yang L, et al. Motion-frozen myocardial perfusion SPECT improves detection of coronary artery disease in obese patients. J Nucl Med 2008;49:1075. CrossRef
- Kaul S, Wismer G, Brady T, Johnston D, Weyman A, Okada R, et al. Measurement of normal left heart dimensions using optimally oriented MR images. Am J Roentgenol 1986;146:75.
- Yu M, Guaraldi M, Mistry M, Kagan M, McDonald J, Drew K, et al. BMS-747158-02: A novel PET myocardial perfusion imaging agent. J Nucl Cardiol 2007;14:789-98. CrossRef
- Le Meunier L, Slomka P, Ramesh A, Thomson L, Hayes S, Tamarappoo B, et al. Enhanced dual gated cardiac perfusion PET using a new F-18 imaging agent (BMS747158). J Nucl Med 2010;51:522.
- Motion frozen 18F-FDG cardiac PET
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Nuclear Cardiology
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 259-266
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Metabolism: PET
- cardiac motion frozen
- point spread function
- cardiac imaging
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departments of Imaging and Medicine, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 3. Siemens Healthcare Molecular Imaging, 810 Innovation Dr, Knoxville, TN, 37932, USA
- 2. Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA