Date: 09 Apr 2010
Are people with normal radionuclide perfusion imaging studies better-off if they are obese?
See related article on doi:10.1007/s12350-010-9214-6
- Rodgers A, Vaughan P. World Health Report 2002. Reducing risks, promoting healthy life. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2002. Available from http://www.who.int/whr/2002/en/. Accessed 3/10/10.
- Lavie, CL, Milani, RV, Ventura, HO (2009) Obesity and cardiovascular disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 53: pp. 1925-1932 CrossRef
- Flegal, KM, Carroll, MD, Ogden, CL, Curtin, LR (2010) Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008. JAMA 303: pp. 235-241 CrossRef
- Ogden CL, Carroll MD, McDowell MA, Flegal KM. Obesity among adults in the United States—No change since 2003–2004. NCHS data brief no 1. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2007.
- Després, J (2006) Is visceral obesity the cause of the metabolic syndrome?. Ann Med 38: pp. 52-63 CrossRef
- Mathieu P, Lemieux I, Després JP. Obesity, inflammation, and cardiovascular risk. Clin Pharmacol Ther Advance online publication. 2010 Mar 3. doi:10/1038/cipt.2009.311.
- Motivala, AA, Rose, PA, Kim, HM, Smith, YR, Bartnik, C, Brook, RD, Muzik, O, Duvernoy, CS (2008) Cardiovascular risk, obesity, and myocardial blood flow in postmenopausal women. J Nucl Cardiol 15: pp. 510-517 CrossRef
- Madala, MC, Franklin, BA, Chen, AY (2008) Obesity and age of first non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 52: pp. 979-985 CrossRef
- Wanahita, N, Messerli, FH, Bangalore, S (2008) Atrial fibrillation and obesity—Results of a meta-analysis. Am Heart J 155: pp. 310-315 CrossRef
- Messerli, FH, Nunez, BD, Ventura, HO, Snyder, DW (1987) Overweight and sudden death: increased ventricular ectopy in cardiomyopathy of obesity. Arch Intern Med 147: pp. 1725-1728 CrossRef
- Byers, T (2000) Body-mass index and mortality (with author reply). N Engl J Med 342: pp. 286-289 CrossRef
- Manson, JE, Willett, WC, Stampfer, MJ (1995) Body weight and mortality among women. N Engl J Med 333: pp. 677-685 CrossRef
- Calle, EE, Thun, MJ, Petrelli, JM (1999) Body-mass index and mortality in a prospective cohort of U.S. adults. N Engl J Med 341: pp. 1097-1105 CrossRef
- Peeters, A, Barendregt, JJ, Willekens, F, Mackenbach, JP, Al Mamun, A, Bonneux, L (2003) Obesity in adulthood and its consequences for life expectancy: A life-table analysis. Ann Intern Med 138: pp. 24-32
- Ades, PA, Savage, PD (2010) The obesity paradox: Perception vs knowledge. Mayo Clin Proc 85: pp. 112-114 CrossRef
- Uretsky, S, Messerli, FH, Bangalore, S (2007) Obesity paradox in patients with hypertension and coronary artery disease. Am J Med 120: pp. 863-870 CrossRef
- Oreopoulos, A, Padwal, R, Kalantar-Zadeh, K (2008) Body mass index and mortality in heart failure: A meta-analysis. Am Heart J 156: pp. 13-22 CrossRef
- Horwich, TB, Fonarow, GC, Hamilton, MA, MacLellan, WR, Woo, MA, Tillisch, JH (2001) The relationship between obesity and mortality in patients with heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 38: pp. 789-795 CrossRef
- Kalantar-Zadeh, K, Block, G, Horwich, T, Fonarow, GC (2004) Reverse epidemiology of conventional cardiovascular risk factors in patients with chronic heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 43: pp. 1439-1444 CrossRef
- Romero-Corral, A, Montori, VM, Somers, VK (2006) Association of bodyweight with total mortality and with cardiovascular events in coronary artery disease: A systematic review of cohort studies. Lancet 368: pp. 666-678 CrossRef
- Lopez-Jimenez, F, Jacobsen, SJ, Reeder, GS, Weston, SA, Meverden, RA, Roger, VL (2004) Prevalence and secular trends of excess body weight and impact on outcomes after myocardial infarction inthe community. Chest 125: pp. 1205-1212 CrossRef
- Minutello, RM, Chou, ET, Hong, MK (2004) Impact of body mass index on in-hospital outcomes following percutaneous coronary intervention (report from the New York State angioplasty registry). Am J Cardiol 93: pp. 1229-1232 CrossRef
- Gruberg, L, Mercado, N, Milo, S (2005) Impact of body mass index on the outcome of patients with multivessel disease randomized to either coronary artery bypass grafting or stenting in the ARTS trial: the obesity paradox II?. Am J Cardiol 95: pp. 439-444 CrossRef
- Galal, W, Gestel, Y, Hoeks, SE (2009) The obesity paradox in patients with periopheral arterial disease: The influence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest 134: pp. 896-898
- Lavie, CJ, Milani, RV, Ventura, HO, Cardenas, GA, Mehra, MR, Messerli, FH (2007) Disparate effects of left ventricular geometry and obesity on mortality in patients with preserved left ventricular ejection fraction. Am J Cardiol 100: pp. 1460-1464 CrossRef
- McAuley, P, Myers, J, Abella, J, Froelicher, V (2007) Body mass, fitness and survival in veteran patients: Another obesity paradox?. Am J Med 120: pp. 518-524 CrossRef
- Kang, X, Shaw, LJ, Hayes, SW (2006) Impact of body mass index on cardiac mortality in patients with known or suspected coronary artery disease undergoing myocardial perfusion single-photon emission computed tomography. J Am Coll Cardiol 47: pp. 1418-1426 CrossRef
- Uretsky S, Supraiwala A, Singh P, et al. Impact of weight on long term survival among patients without known coronary artery disease and a normal stress SPECT MPI. J Nucl Cardiol 2010;17 (in press).
- Adams, KF, Schatzkin, A, Harris, TB, Kipnis, V, Mouw, T, Ballard-Barbash, R, Hollenbeck, A, Leitzmann, MF (2006) Overweight, obesity, and mortality in a large prospective cohort of persons 50 to 71 years old. N Engl J Med 355: pp. 763-778 CrossRef
- Willett, WC, Hu, FB, Colditz, GA, Manson, JE (2005) Underweight, overweight, obesity and excess deaths. JAMA 294: pp. 551-553 CrossRef
- Greenberg, JA (2003) Removing confounders form the relationship between mortality risk and systolic blood pressure at low and moderately increased systolic blood pressure. J Hypertens 21: pp. 49-56 CrossRef
- McAuley, PA, Kokkinos, PF, Oliveira, RB, Emerson, BT, Myers, JN (2010) Obesity paradox and cardiorespiratory fitness in 12,417 male veterans aged 40 to 70 years. Mayo Clin Proc 85: pp. 115-121 CrossRef
- McAuley, PA, Sui, X, Church, TS, Hardin, JW, Myers, JN, Blair, SN (2009) The joint effects of cardiorespiratory fitness and adiposity on mortality risk inmen with hypertension. Am J Hypertens 22: pp. 1062-1069 CrossRef
- Rozanski, A, Blumenthal, JA, Davidson, KW, Saab, PG, Kubzansky, L (2005) The epidemiology, pathophysiology, and management of psychosocial risk factors in cardiac practice. The merging field of behavioral cardiology. J Am Coll Cardiol 45: pp. 637-651 CrossRef
- Rozanski, A, Blumenthal, JA, Kaplan, J (1999) Impact of psychological factors on the pathogenesis of cardiovascular disease and implications for therapy. Circulation 99: pp. 2192-2217
- Messerli FH, Sundgaard-Riise, Reisin E, Dreslinski G, Dunn FG, Frohlich E. Disparate cardiovascular effects of obesity and arterial hypertension. Am J Med 1983;74:808-12.
- Lavie, CJ, Milani, RV, Ventura, HO (2007) Obesity, heart disease, and favorable prognosis—Truth or paradox?. Am J Med 120: pp. 825-826 CrossRef
- Beddhu, S, Pappas, LM, Ramkumar, N, Samore, M (2003) Effects of body size and body composition on survival in hemodialysis patients. J Am Soc Neprol 14: pp. 2366-2372 CrossRef
- Lavie, CJ, Osman, AF, Milani, RV, Mehra, MR (2003) Body composition and prognosis in chronic systolic heart failure: The obesity paradox. Am J Cardiol 91: pp. 891-894 CrossRef
- Alpert, JS (2010) So, Doctor, what’s so bad about being fat? Combating the obesity epidemic in the United States. Am J Med 123: pp. 1-2 CrossRef
- Are people with normal radionuclide perfusion imaging studies better-off if they are obese?
Journal of Nuclear Cardiology
Volume 17, Issue 3 , pp 350-353
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors