The relationship of myocardial contraction and electrical excitation—the correlation between scintigraphic phase image analysis and electrophysiologic mapping
Phase imaging derived from equilibrium radionuclide angiography presents the ventricular contraction sequence. It has been widely but only indirectly correlated with the sequence of electrical myocardial activation.
We sought to determine the specific relationship between the sequence of phase progression and the sequence of myocardial activation, contraction and conduction, in order to document a noninvasive method that could monitor both.
In 7 normal and 9 infarcted dogs, the sequence of phase angle was correlated with the epicardial activation map in 126 episodes of sinus rhythm and pacing from three ventricular sites.
In each episode, the site of earliest phase angle was identical to the focus of initial epicardial activation. Similarly, the serial contraction pattern by phase image analysis matched the electrical epicardial activation sequence completely or demonstrated good agreement in approximately 85% of pacing episodes, without differences between normal or infarct groups.
A noninvasive method to accurately determine the sequence of contraction may serve as a surrogate for the associated electrical activation sequence or be applied to identify their differences.
- Botvinick EH, Frais MA, Shosa DW, O’Connell JW, Pacheco-Alvarez JA, Scheinman M, et al. An accurate means of detecting and characterizing abnormal patterns of ventricular activation by phase image analysis. Am J Cardiol 1982;50:289-98. CrossRef
- Botvinick E, Dunn R, Frais M, O’Connell W, Shosa D, Herfkens R, et al. The phase image: Its relationship to patterns of contraction and conduction. Circulation 1982;65:551-60.
- Frais M, Botvinick E, Shosa D, O’Connell W, Scheinman M, Hattner R, et al. Phase image characterization of ventricular contraction in left and right bundle branch block. Am J Cardiol 1982;50:95-104. CrossRef
- Dae M, Wen YM, Botvinick E, Scheinman M. EKG left anterior fascicular block reveals diverse patterns on scintigraphic phase analysis. Am Heart J 1989;117:861-9. CrossRef
- Botvinick EH, Frais M, O’Connell JW, Faulkner D, Scheinman MM, Morady F, et al. Phase image evaluation of patients with ventricular pre-excitation syndromes. J Am Coll Cardiol 1984;3:799-814.
- Schechtmann N, Botvinick E, Dae M, Scheinman MM, O’Connell JW, Davis J, et al. The scintigraphic characteristics of ventricular pre-excitation through Mahaim fibers with the use of phase analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989;13:882-90. CrossRef
- Cohen TJ, Tucker KJ, Abbott JA, Botvinick EH, Foster E, Schiller NB, et al. Usefulness of adenosine in augmenting ventricular preexcitation for noninvasive localization of accessory pathways. Am J Cardiol 1992;69:1178. CrossRef
- Oeff M, Scheinman MM, Abbott JA, Botvinick EH, Griffin JC, Herre JM, et al. Phase image triangulation of accessory pathways in patients undergoing catheter ablation of posteroseptal pathways. PACE 1991;14:1072-80.
- Rosenqvist M, Isaaz K, Botvinick EH, Dae MW, Cockrell J, Abbott JA, et al. Relative importance of activation sequence compared to atrioventricular synchrony in left ventricular function. Am J Cardiol 1991;67:148-56. CrossRef
- Botvinick E, Davis J, Dae M, O’Connell J, Schechtmann N, Abbott J, et al. Localization of ventricular tachycardia exit site and subsequent contraction sequence and functional effects with bedside radionuclide angiography. J Am Coll Cardiol Imaging 2008;1:605-13.
- O’Connell JW, Schreck C, Moles M, Badwar N, DeMarco T, Olgin J, et al. A unique method by which to quantitate synchrony with equilibrium radionuclide angiography. J Nucl Cardiol 2005;12:441-50. CrossRef
- Cleland JG, Daubert JC, Erdmann E, Freemantle N, Gras D, Kappenberger L, et al. Longer-term effects of cardiac resynchronization therapy on mortality in heart failure. Eur Heart J 2006;27:1928-32. CrossRef
- Rivero-Ayerza M, Theuns DA, Garcia-Garcia HM, Boersma E, Simoons M, Jordaens LJ. Effects of cardiac resynchronization therapy on overall mortality and mode of death: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Eur Heart J 2006;27:2682-8. CrossRef
- Pires LA, Abraham WT, Young JB, Johnson KM. MIRACLE and MIRACLE-ICD Investigators. Clinical predictors and timing of New York Heart Association class improvement with cardiac resynchronization therapy in patients with advanced chronic heart failure. Am Heart J 2006;151:837-43. CrossRef
- Ypenburg C, Schalij MJ, Bleeker GB, Steenjijk P, Boersma E, Dibbets-Schneider P, et al. Impact of viability and scar tissue on response to cardiac resynchronization therapy in ischaemic heart failure patients. Eur Heart J 2007;28:33-41. CrossRef
- Harris A. Delayed development of ventricular ectopic rhythms following experimental coronary occlusion. Circulation 1950;1:318-24.
- Kelback H. Technetium-99m labeling of red blood cell: In vitro evaluation of a new approach. J Nucl Med 1986;271:1770-5.
- Kupersmith J, Krongrad E, Waldo AL. Conduction intervals and conduction velocity in the human cardiac conduction system. Studies during open-heart surgery. Circulation 1973;47:776.
- Fauchier L, Marie O, Casset-Senon D, Babuty D, Cosnay P, Fauchier JP. Interventricular and intraventricular dyssynchrony in idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. A prognosis study with Fourier phase analysis of radionuclide angioscintigraphy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002;40:2022-30. CrossRef
- Kerwin WF, Botvinick EH, O’Connell JW, Merrick SH, DeMarco T, Chatterjee K, et al. Ventricular contraction abnormalities in dilated cardiomyopathy: Effect of biventricular pacing to correct interventricular dyssynchrony. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;35:1221-7. CrossRef
- Badhwar N, O’Connell JW, Green D, Botvinick EH. Equilibrium radionuclide angiogram derived measures of dyssynchrony correlate with clinical outcomes in heart failure patients. J Nucl Med 2008;49:128P (abstr).
- Burri H. The quest for an optimal left ventricular lead position for cardiac resynchronization therapy. Heart Rhythm 2006;3:1293-4. CrossRef
- Badhwar N, Viswanathan M, O’Connell JW, DeMarco T, Schreck C, Lee BK, et al. Utility of equilibrium gated radionuclide angiography to guide coronary sinus lead placement in heart failure patients requiring cardiac resynchronization therapy. J Nucl Med 2006;47:1P (abstr).
- Zaret BL. Cardiac imaging and cardiac resynchronization therapy: Time to get in phase. J Am Coll Cardiol Imaging 2008;1:614-6.
- Botvinick EH, O’Connell JW, Kadkade PJ, Glickman SL, Dae MW, Cohen TJ, et al. The potential added value of three-dimensional reconstruction and display of SPECT gated blood pool images. J Nucl Cardiol 1998;25:509-14.
- The relationship of myocardial contraction and electrical excitation—the correlation between scintigraphic phase image analysis and electrophysiologic mapping
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Journal of Nuclear Cardiology
Volume 16, Issue 5 , pp 792-800
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- equilibrium radionuclide angiograms
- phase image analysis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Heart Failure and Pulmonary Hypertension, Alta Bates Hospital, Berkeley, CA, USA
- 2. Departments of Medicine, Cardiovascular Division, and Radiology, Nuclear Medicine Section, and the Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, Box 0214, San Francisco, CA, 94143, USA
- 3. Evera Medical, Inc., Foster City, CA, USA