Is the effect of high fat diet on lipid and carbohydrate metabolism related to inflammation?
- Islam Ahmed Abd El-Hamid IbrahimAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Zagazig University Email author
- , Mona Fouad Mahmoud Abd El-AzizAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Zagazig University
- , Ahmed Fahmy AhmedAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Zagazig University
- , Mohamed Abd El-Aal MohamedAffiliated withDepartment of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Zagazig University
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Obesity is an emerging health problem in world wide countries. High fat diet (HFD), which is the main cause of obesity, induces inflammation and affects both lipid and carbohydrate metabolism. This study investigates the effect of inflammation induced by HFD on lipid and carbohydrate metabolism. This study involves two parts, in vivo and in vitro. In the in vivo part, adult male albino rats were fed a HFD for 8 and 14 weeks. After each feeding period, the following parameters were measured (body weight, blood glucose levels, oral glucose tolerance, serum insulin, insulin resistance, total cholesterol, HDLc, LDLc, triglycerides, free fatty acids, neutrophils percentage and serum CRP levels) in addition to pancreas tissue histopathology. In the in vitro part, insulin release from isolated perfused pancreas preparations was measured. Pancreas preparations were isolated from adult male albino rats fed a HFD for 16 weeks. Feeding rats a HFD for 8 and 14 weeks induced inflammation, impaired lipid profile and carbohydrate metabolism. Feeding rats a HFD for 16 weeks increased in vitro glucose-stimulated insulin release. HFD induces inflammation which plays an important role in the impairment of lipid and carbohydrate metabolism.
KeywordsDiabetes Insulin resistance Obesity Inflammation
- Is the effect of high fat diet on lipid and carbohydrate metabolism related to inflammation?
Mediterranean Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 203-209
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Milan
- Additional Links
- Insulin resistance