Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the liver concomitant with primary colon cancer: report of a case
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A 55-year-old Japanese female was admitted to our hospital to treat colon cancer. Computed tomography revealed a 2.6 × 2.0 cm liver mass considered to be liver metastasis. She synchronously underwent right colectomy with D3 lymph node dissection and subsegmentectomy 8 under the diagnosis of advanced colon cancer with liver metastasis. The pathology examination revealed the liver nodule was pure squamous cell carcinoma (SCC), whereas histology of colon cancer was a well differentiated tubular adenocarcinoma containing no squamous component. The patient underwent intensive checkup by imaging for a primary site of SCC. However, no lesion considered as possible primary site of SCC was found. Therefore, the liver nodule was finally diagnosed as a primary hepatic SCC. Primary SCC of the liver is a rare and high-grade malignant tumor. Recurrent multiple liver nodule was found at 13 months after surgery and the patient died of cancer 17 months after surgery.
- Caratozzolo E, Massani M, Recordare A, Ciardo L, Antoniutti M, Jelmoni A, et al. Squamous cell liver cancer arising from an epidermoid cyst. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg. 2001;8:490–3. CrossRef
- Lombardo FP, Hertford DE, Tan LK, Kazam E, Ramirez de Arellaro E. Epidermoid cyst of the liver complicated by microscopic squamous cell carcinoma: CT, ultrasound, and pathology. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1995;19:131–4. CrossRef
- Weimann A, Klempnauer J, Gebel M, Maschek H, Bartels M, Ringe B, et al. Squamous cell carcinoma of the liver originating from a solitary non-parasitic cyst case report and review of the literature. HPB Surg. 1996;10:45–9. CrossRef
- Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum. General rules for clinical and pathological studies on cancer of the colon, rectum and anus, 7th edn. Tokyo: Kanehara-shuppan; 2006 (in Japanese).
- Imai T. Ein Fall von zystischem Teratom der Leber, in welchem Plattenepithelkrebs entstand. Trans Soc Pathol Jpn. 1934;24:578–80.
- Banbury J, Conlon KC, Ghossein R, Brennan MF. Primary squamous cell carcinoma within a solitary nonparasitic hepatic cyst. J Surg Oncol. 1994;57:210–2. CrossRef
- Nieweg O, Slooff MJ, Grond J. A case of primary squamous cell carcinoma of the liver arising in a solitary cyst. HPB Surg. 1992;5:203–8. CrossRef
- Roediger WE, Dymock RB. Primary squamous carcinoma of the liver. Clinical and histopathological features. Aust N Z J Surg. 1991;61:720–2. CrossRef
- Yagi H, Ueda M, Kawachi S, Tanabe M, Aiura K, Wakabayashi G, et al. Squamous cell carcinoma of the liver originating from non-parasitic cysts after a 15 year follow-up. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004;16:1051–6. CrossRef
- Clements D, Newman P, Etherington R, Lawrie BW, Rhodes J. Squamous carcinoma in the liver. Gut. 1990;31:1333–4. CrossRef
- Bloustein PA, Silverberg SG. Squamous cell carcinoma originating in an hepatic cyst: case report with a review of the hepatic cystcarcinoma association. Cancer. 1976;38:2002–5. CrossRef
- Lynch MJ, Mcleod MK, Weatherbee L, Gilsdorf JR, Guice KS, Eckhauser FE. Squamous cell cancer of the liver arising from a solitary benign nonparasitic hepatic cyst. Am J Gastroenterol. 1988;83:426–31.
- Monteagudo M, Vidal G, Moreno M, Bella R, Diaz M, Colomer O, et al. Squamous cell carcinoma and infection in a solitary hepatic cyst. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1998;10:1051–3. CrossRef
- Greenwood N, Orr WM. Primary squamous-cell carcinoma arising in a solitary non-parasitic cyst of the liver. J Pathol. 1972;107:145–8. CrossRef
- Vick DJ, Goodman ZD, Ishak KG. Squamous cell carcinoma arising in a ciliated hepatic foregut cyst. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1999;123:1115–7.
- Furlanetto A. Dei Tos AP. Squamous cell carcinoma arising in a ciliated hepatic foregut cyst. Virchows Arch. 2002;441:296–8. CrossRef
- Hsieh CB, Chen CJ, Yu JC, Chang TM, Gao HW, Liu YC. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the liver arising from a complex liver cyst: report of a case. Surg Today. 2005;35:328–31. CrossRef
- Zhang X, Wang Z, Dong Y. Squamous cell carcinoma arising in a ciliated hepatic foregut cyst: case report and literature review. Pathol Res Pract. 2009;205:498–501. CrossRef
- Iimuro Y, Asano Y, Suzumura K, Yada A, Hirano T, Iijima H, et al. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the liver: an uncommon finding in contrast-enhanced ultrasonography imaging. Case Rep Gastroenterol. 2011;5:628–35. CrossRef
- Spaggiari M, Di Benedetto F, Ballarin R, Losi L, Cautero N, De Ruvo N, et al. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the liver associated with Caroli’s disease: a case report. Onkologie. 2011;34:193–5. CrossRef
- Song E, Kew MC, Grieve T, Isaacson C, Myburgh JA. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the liver occurring in association with hepatolithiasis. Cancer. 1984;53:542–6. CrossRef
- Arase Y, Endo Y, Hara M, Kumada H, Ikeda K, Yoshiba A. Hepatic squamous cell carcinoma with hypercalcemia in liver cirrhosis. Acta Pathol Jpn. 1988;38:643–50.
- Gresham GA 3rd. Squamous cell carcinoma of the liver. Hum Pathol. 1985;16:413–6. CrossRef
- Lee HL, Liu YY, Yeh CN, Chiang KC, Chen TC, Jan YY. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the liver: a successful surgically treated case. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12:5419–21.
- Naik S, Waris W, Carmosino L, Mehrishi A, Saif MW. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the liver. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2009;18:487–9.
- Kaji R, Sasaki N, Tateishi I, Nagata E, Okabe Y, Yoshida T, et al. A case report of primary hepatic squamous cell carcinoma that remarkably responded to low dose arterial injection of anti-cancer drugs. Kurume Med J. 2003;50:71–5. CrossRef
- Suzuki E, Hirai R, Ota T, Shimizu N. Primary adenosquamous carcinoma of the liver: case report. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg. 2002;9:769–73. CrossRef
- Bosman FT, Carnerio F, Hruban RH, Theise ND. WHO classification of tumors of the digestive system. Int Agency Res Cancer. 2010; 217–27.
- Yitta S, Liang MK, Berman R, Carter JJ, Yee HT, Marks JL. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the colon associated with hypercalcemia and hyperleukocytosis: report of a case. Dig Surg. 2005;22:371–4. CrossRef
- Schneider TA 2nd, Birkett DH, Vernava AM 3rd. Primary adenosquamous and squamous cell carcinoma of the colon and rectum. Int J Colorectal Dis. 1992;7:144–7. CrossRef
- Lundquest DE, Marcus JN, Thorson AG, Massop D. Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the colon arising in a villous adenoma. Hum Pathol. 1988;19:362–4. CrossRef
- Chou YY, Lee WJ, Su CT, Hsu HC. Case report: primary cystic keratinizing squamous cell carcinoma of the liver in a patient with treated nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1997;12:229–32. CrossRef
- Boscolo G, Jirillo A, Da Pian P. Complete remission of poorly differentiated squamous liver carcinoma after systemic chemotherapy and surgery: a case report. Tumori. 2005;91:71–2.
- Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the liver concomitant with primary colon cancer: report of a case
Clinical Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 134-138
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Primary liver cancer
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- Adenosquamous carcinoma
- Colon cancer
- Double cancer
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Saga University Faculty of Medicine, Nabesima 5-1-1, Saga, Saga, 849-8501, Japan
- 2. Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Saga University Faculty of Medicine, Saga, Japan
- 3. Department of Radiology, Saga University Faculty of Medicine, Saga, Japan