Successful treatment of ulcerative colitis complicated by Sweet’s syndrome by corticosteroid therapy and leukocytapheresis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ulcerative colitis is occasionally complicated by dermatological disorders presenting as extra-intestinal manifestations, including erythema nodosum and pyoderma gangrenosum. Sweet’s syndrome is considered to be a rare cutaneous disease in patients with ulcerative colitis. To date, only 17 cases of Sweet’s syndrome complicating ulcerative colitis have been reported in the English literature. Here, we report a case of a 41-year-old male who had been suffering from ulcerative colitis for 20 years. He was admitted to hospital with hematochezia, diarrhea and fever, and painful erythematous nodules on the face and arms. Histological examination of skin biopsies showed inflammatory cell infiltration composed mainly of neutrophils without evidence of necrotizing vasculitis, and the condition was diagnosed as Sweet’s syndrome. The patient was treated with prednisolone and leukocytapheresis and the erythematous nodules on the skin, as well as the abdominal symptoms and endoscopic findings of ulcerative colitis, immediately improved. In this paper we report on this case and review the literature concerning ulcerative colitis and Sweet’s syndrome.
- Sweet RD. An Acute Febrile Neutrophilic Dermatosis. Br J Dermatol. 1964;76:349–56. CrossRef
- Fett DL, Gibson LE, Su WP. Sweet’s syndrome: systemic signs and symptoms and associated disorders. Mayo Clin Proc. 1995;70:234–40. CrossRef
- Sitjas D, Puig L, Cuatrecasas M, De Moragas JM. Acute febrile neutrophilic dermatosis (Sweet’s syndrome). Int J Dermatol. 1993;32:261–8. CrossRef
- Cohen PR, Kurzrock R. Sweet’s syndrome: a neutrophilic dermatosis classically associated with acute onset and fever. Clin Dermatol. 2000;18:265–82. CrossRef
- Benton EC, Rutherford D, Hunter JA. Sweet’s syndrome and pyoderma gangrenosum associated with ulcerative colitis. Acta Derm Venereol. 1985;65:77–80.
- Hommel L, Harms M, Saurat JH. The incidence of Sweet’s syndrome in Geneva. A retrospective study of 29 cases. Dermatology. 1993;187:303–5. CrossRef
- von den Driesch P. Sweet’s syndrome (acute febrile neutrophilic dermatosis). J Am Acad Dermatol 1994;31:535-56; quiz 557-60.
- Salmon P, Rademaker M, Edwards L. A continuum of neutrophilic disease occurring in a patient with ulcerative colitis. Australas J Dermatol. 1998;39:116–8. CrossRef
- Sarkany RP, Burrows NP, Grant JW, Pye RJ, Norris PG. The pustular eruption of ulcerative colitis: a variant of Sweet’s syndrome? Br J Dermatol. 1998;138:365–6. CrossRef
- Diaz-Peromingo JA, Garcia-Suarez F, Sanchez-Leira J, Saborido-Frojan J. Sweet’s syndrome in a patient with acute ulcerative colitis: presentation of a case and review of the literature. Yale J Biol Med. 2001;74:165–8.
- Bassi A, Hyde J, Foster P. Image of the month. Sweet’s syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2003;124:287. CrossRef
- Vazquez J, Almagro M, del Pozo J, Fonseca E. Neutrophilic pustulosis and ulcerative colitis. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2003;17:77–9. CrossRef
- Paoluzi OA, Crispino P, Amantea A, Pica R, Iacopini F, Consolazio A, et al. Diffuse febrile dermatosis in a patient with active ulcerative colitis under treatment with steroids and azathioprine: a case of Sweet’s syndrome. Case report and review of literature. Dig Liver Dis. 2004;36:361–6. CrossRef
- Ytting H, Vind I, Bang D, Munkholm P. Sweet’s syndrome–an extraintestinal manifestation in inflammatory bowel disease. Digestion. 2005;72:195–200. CrossRef
- Malheiros AP, Teixeira MG, Takahashi MD, de Almeida MG, Kiss DR, Cecconello I. Sweet syndrome associated with ulcerative colitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2007;13:1583–4. CrossRef
- Natour M, Chowers Y, Solomon M, Khaikin M, Barshack I, Ayalon A, et al. Sweet’s syndrome in association with ulcerative colitis and dyserythropoietic anemia. Digestion. 2007;75:142–3.
- Ali M, Duerksen DR. Ulcerative colitis and Sweet’s syndrome: a case report and review of the literature. Can J Gastroenterol. 2008;22:296–8.
- Kang W, Hao C, Nie Q. Clinical challenges and images in GI. Sweet syndrome in association with ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 2009;136:1507, 1846.
- Best J, Dechene A, Esser S, Gerken G, Canbay A. Pregnancy-associated Sweet’s syndrome in an acute episode of ulcerative colitis. Z Gastroenterol. 2009;47:753–7. CrossRef
- Sutherland LR, Martin F, Greer S, Robinson M, Greenberger N, Saibil F, et al. 5-Aminosalicylic acid enema in the treatment of distal ulcerative colitis, proctosigmoiditis, and proctitis. Gastroenterology. 1987;92:1894–8.
- Lichtiger S, Present DH, Kornbluth A, Gelernt I, Bauer J, Galler G, et al. Cyclosporine in severe ulcerative colitis refractory to steroid therapy. N Engl J Med. 1994;330:1841–5. CrossRef
- Kalmus Y, Kovatz S, Shilo L, Ganem G, Shenkman L. Sweet’s syndrome and subacute thyroiditis. Postgrad Med J. 2000;76:229–30. CrossRef
- Petermann A, Tebbe B, Distler A, Sieper J, Braun J. Sweet’s syndrome in a patient with acute Crohn’s colitis and longstanding ankylosing spondylitis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 1999;17:607–10.
- Yoo WH, Moon SK, Park TS, Baek HS. A case of Sweet’s syndrome in patient with dermatomyositis. Korean J Intern Med. 1999;14:78–81.
- Rahier JF, Lion L, Dewit O, Lambert M. Regression of Sweet’s syndrome associated with Crohn’s disease after anti-Tumour Necrosis Factor therapy. Acta Gastroenterol Belg. 2005;68:376–9.
- Sigurbjornsson FT, Bjarnason I. Leukocytapheresis for the treatment of IBD. Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;5:509–16. CrossRef
- Arseneau KO, Cominelli F. Leukocytapheresis in ulcerative colitis: a possible alternative to biological therapy? Dig Liver Dis. 2009;41:551–2. CrossRef
- Hanai H. Leucocytapheresis for inflammatory bowel disease in the era of biologic therapy. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;20:596–600. CrossRef
- Okuma K, Mitsuishi K, Hasegawa T, Tsuchihashi H, Ogawa H, Ikeda S. A case report of steroid and immunosuppressant-resistant pyoderma gangrenosum successfully treated by granulocytapheresis. Ther Apher Dial. 2007;11:387–90. CrossRef
- Fujimoto E, Fujimoto N, Kuroda K, Tajima S. Leukocytapheresis treatment for pyoderma gangrenosum. Br J Dermatol. 2004;151:1090–2. CrossRef
- Successful treatment of ulcerative colitis complicated by Sweet’s syndrome by corticosteroid therapy and leukocytapheresis
Clinical Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 151-156
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Ulcerative colitis
- Sweet’s syndrome
- Neutrophilic dermatosis
- Author Affiliations
- 1. First Department of Medicine, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 1-20-1 Handayama Higashi-ku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, 431-3192, Japan
- 2. Center for Clinical Research, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Shizuoka, Japan
- 3. Department of Molecular Diagnosis, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Shizuoka, Japan