Transabdominal color Doppler ultrasonography for the diagnosis of small intestinal and vesical varices in a patient successfully treated with percutaneous transhepatic obliteration
- Takahiro Sato
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A 52-year-old asymptomatic female was admitted to our hospital in January 2008 with enlarged esophageal varices due to alcoholic liver cirrhosis. Color Doppler ultrasonographic examination showed images of vessels on the small intestinal wall around the umbilical area and the anterior wall of the bladder. Images of the vessels were obtained for the small intestinal wall and the anterior wall of the bladder with computed tomography. Percutaneous transhepatic portography was performed, and hepatofugal blood flow was observed in the inferior epigastric vein connected to the superior mesenteric vein and the contrast medium passed into the small intestinal varices and the vesical varices, which drained into the right ovarian vein. Percutaneous transhepatic obliteration was then successfully performed via the afferent veins of the small intestinal varices and vesical varices. One week after the treatment, color Doppler ultrasonography showed a remarkable decrease in blood flow in the varices.
- Walsh G, Williams MP. Case report: giant pararectal varices-computed tomographic appearances. Br J Radiol. 1995;68:203–4. CrossRef
- Kinkhabwala M, Mousavi A, Iyer S, Adamsons R. Bleeding ileal varicosity demonstrated by transhepatic portography. Am J Roentgenol. 1977;129:514–6.
- Norton ID, Andrews JC, Kamath PS. Management of ectopic varices. Hepatology. 1988;28:1154–8. CrossRef
- Lebrec D, Benhamou JP. Ectopic varices in portal hypertension. Clin Gastroenterol. 1985;14:105–21.
- Bhagwat SS, Borwankar SS, Ramadwar RH, Naik AS, Gajaree GI. Isolated jejunal varices. J Post Med. 1995;41:43–4.
- Migou S, Hashizume M, Tsugawa K, et al. Jejunal variceal bleeding after esophageal transaction in a patient with idiopathic portal hypertension. Hepatogastroenterology. 1998;45:503–7.
- Sato T, Yasui O, Kurosawa T, Hashimoto M, Asanuma Y, Koyama K. Jejunal varix with extrahepatic portal obstruction treated by embolization using interventional radiology: report of a case. Surg Today. 2003;33:131–4. CrossRef
- Ota S, Suzuki S, Mitsuoka H, et al. Effect of a portal venous stent for gastrointestinal hemorrhage from jejunal varices caused by portal hypertension after pancreatoduodenectomy. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg. 2005;12:88–92. CrossRef
- Lim LG, Lee YM, Tan L, Chang S, Lim SG. Percutaneous paraumbilical embolization as an unconventional and successful treatment for bleeding jejunal varices. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:3823–6. CrossRef
- Falchuck KR, Aiello MR, Trey C, Costello P. Recurrent gastrointestinal bleeding from ileal varices associated with intraabdominal adhesions: case report and review of literature. J Gastroenterol. 1982;77:859–60.
- Arst HF, Reynolds JD. Acute ileal variceal hemorrhage secondary to esophageal sclerotherapy. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1986;5:603–4. CrossRef
- Hojhus JH, Pedersen SA. Cirrhosis and bleeding ileal varices without previous intraabdominal surgery. A case report. Acta Chir Scand. 1986;152:479–80.
- Lewis P, Warren BF, Bartolo DC. Massive gastrointestinal hemorrhage due to ileal varices. Br J Surg. 1990;77:1277–8. CrossRef
- Ohtani T, Kajiwara E, Suzuki N, Kawasaki A, Sadoshima S, Sakata H, et al. Ileal varices associated with recurrent bleeding in a patient with liver cirrhosis. J Gastroenterol. 1999;34:264–8. CrossRef
- Kobayashi K, Yamaguchi J, Mizoe A, Isomoto I, Koshiishi T, Izawa K, et al. Successful treatment of bleeding due to ileal varices in a patient with hepatocellular carcinoma. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2001;13:63–6. CrossRef
- Guth E, Katz MD, Hanks SE, Teitelbaum GP, Ralls P, Korula J. Recurrent bleeding from ileal varices treated by transjugular intrahepatic shunt: value of Doppler ultrasonography in diagnosis and follow-up. J Ultrasound Med. 1996;15:67–9.
- Varanasi RV, Fleischer AS, Darwin PE, King CE, Haluszka O. Colonoscopic sclerotherapy of ileal varices. Gastrointest Endosc. 2000;52:109–11. CrossRef
- Sano K, Shuin T, Takebayashi S, et al. A case of vesical varices as a complication of portal hypertension and manifested gross hematuria. J Urol. 1989;141:369–71.
- Lugagne PM, Castaing D, Conort P, Guerrieri M, Bousquet O, Chatelain C. Portal hypertension––a rare cause of haematuria. Prog Urol. 1992;2:294–8.
- Loganathan G, Shyamkumar NK, Kurian G, Eapen CE, Korah IP, Gnanaraj L, Chandy GM. Vesical varix in cirrhosis of liver. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2000;19:193–4.
- Gaspar Y, Detry O, Leval J. Vesical varices in a patient with portal hypertension. N Engl J Med. 2001;345:1503–4. CrossRef
- The Veterans Affairs Cooperative Variceal Sclerotherapy Group. Prophylactic sclerotherapy for esophageal varices in men with alcoholic liver disease. N Engl J Med. 1991;324:1779–84. CrossRef
- Goff GV, Reveille RM, Stiegmann GV. Endoscopic sclerotherapy versus endoscopic variceal ligation: esophageal symptoms, complications and motility. Am J Gastroenterol. 1988;83:1240–4.
- Kanagawa H, Mima S, Kouyama H, Gotoh K, Uchida T, Okuda K. Treatment of gastric fundal varices by balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration. Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1996;11:51–8. CrossRef
- Haruta I, Isobe Y, Ueno E, Toda J, Mitsunaga A, Noguchi S, et al. Balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration (BRTO), a promising nonsurgical therapy for ectopic varices. Am J Gastroenterol. 1996;91:2594–7.
- Sato T, Yamazaki K, Toyota J, Karino Y, Ohmura T, Akaike J. Ileal varices treated with balloon-occluded retrograde transvenous obliteration. Gastroenterol Res. 2009;2:122–5.
- Ueno N, Sasaki A, Tomiyama T, Tano S, Kimura K. Color Doppler ultrasonography in the diagnosis of cavernous transformation of the portal vein. J Clin Ultrasound. 1997;25:227–33. CrossRef
- Komatsuda T, Ishida H, Konno K, et al. Color Doppler findings of gastrointestinal varices. Abdom Imaging. 1998;23:45–50. CrossRef
- Maruyama H, Okugawa H, Yoshizumi H, Kobayashi S, Yokosuka O. Hemodynamic features of gastrorenal shunt: a Doppler study in cirrhotic patients with gastric fundal varices. Acad Radiol. 2008;15:1148–54. CrossRef
- Sato T, Yamazaki K, Akaike J. Diagnosis of gastric varices and evaluation of the effectiveness of treatment using transabdominal color Doppler ultrasonography. J Ultrasound Med. 2009;28:1125–31.
- Tang SJ, Zanati S, Dubcenco E, et al. Diagnosis of small-bowel varices by capsule endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2004;60:129–35. CrossRef
- De Palma G, Rega M, Masone S, et al. Mucosal abnormalities in patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension: a capsule endoscopy study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2005;62:529–34. CrossRef
- Goulas S, Triantafyllidou K, Karagiannis S, et al. Capsule endoscopy in the investigation of patients with portal hypertension and anemia. Can J Gastroenterol. 2008;22:469–74.
- Transabdominal color Doppler ultrasonography for the diagnosis of small intestinal and vesical varices in a patient successfully treated with percutaneous transhepatic obliteration
Clinical Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 3, Issue 4 , pp 214-218
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Color Doppler
- Small intestinal varices
- Percutaneous transhepatic obliteration
- Portal hypertension
- Vesical varices
- Takahiro Sato (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Gastroenterology, Sapporo Kosei General Hospital, Kita 3 Higashi 8, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, 060-0033, Japan