Infliximab treatment for Crohn’s disease in a patient with IgA nephropathy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We describe herein a case of IgA nephropathy in a 34-year-old woman with Crohn’s disease (CD) treated with infliximab. CD first appeared at the age of 15 years. An elemental diet was started for remission maintenance. Ten years later, the patient suffered from a recto-vaginal fistula and subtotal colectomy with stoma formation was performed. At the age of 33 years, the patient was investigated for painless macroscopic hematuria and proteinuria. Renal biopsy revealed IgA nephropathy. Mizoribine was started but proteinuria persisted. Due to diarrhea she was admitted to our hospital, and scheduled maintenance therapy with infliximab was initiated. After the first infliximab infusion, the patient presented significant clinical improvement in both diarrhea and proteinuria with concomitant decrease of C-reactive protein to normal levels and proteinuria ~1 g/day. This represents the first report of infliximab treatment in a patient with IgA nephropathy associated with CD and clarifies the importance of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNFα) in immunity to renal disease. Further studies are needed to draw firm conclusions for the safety of infliximab in patients with IgA nephropathy.
- Myren J, Bouchier IA, Watkinson G, Softley A, Clamp SE, de Dombal FT. The O.M.G.E. multinational inflammatory bowel disease survey 1976–1982. A further report on 2,657 cases. Scand J Gastroenterol Suppl. 1984;95:1–27.
- Hanauer SB, Feagan BG, Lichtenstein GR, Mayer LF, Schreiber S, Colombel JF, et al. Maintenance infliximab for Crohn’s disease: the ACCENT I randomised trial. N Engl J Med. 2002;359:1541–9.
- Sands BE, Anderson FH, Bernstein CN, Chey WY, Feagan BG, Fedorak RN, et al. Infliximab maintenance therapy for fistulizing Crohn’s disease. N Engl J Med. 2004;350:876–85. CrossRef
- Barrie A, Regueiro M. Biologic therapy in the management of extraintestinal manifestations of inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2007;13:1424–9. CrossRef
- Hirsch DJ, Jindal KK, Trillo A, Cohen AD. Acute renal failure in Crohn’s disease due to IgA nephropathy. Am J Kidney Dis. 1992;20:189–90.
- Dabadie A, Gie S, Babut JM, Roussey M. IgA nephropathy associated with Crohn disease. Arch Pediatr. 1996;3:884–7. CrossRef
- McCallum D, Smith L, Harley F, Yiu V. IgA nephropathy and thin basement membrane disease in association with Crohn’s disease. Pediatr Nephrol. 1997;11:637–40. CrossRef
- Moriwaki Y, Inokuchi T, Yamamoto A, Ka T, Tsutsumi Z, Takahashi S, et al. Effect of TNF-α inhibition on urinary albumin excretion in experimental diabetic rats. Acta Diabetol. 2007;44:215–8. CrossRef
- Raveh D, Shemesh O, Ashkenazi YJ, Winkler R, Barak V. Tumor necrosis factor-α blocking agent as a treatment for nephrotic syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol. 2004;19:1281–4. CrossRef
- Forshaw MJ, Guirguis O, Hennigan T. IgA nephropathy in association with Crohn’s disease. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2005;20:463–5. CrossRef
- Takemura T, Okada M, Yagi K, Kuwajima H, Yanagida H. An adolescent with IgA nephropathy and Crohn disease: pathogenetic implications. Pediatr Nephrol. 2002;17:863–6. CrossRef
- Sakellariou GT, Vounotrypidis P, Berberidis C. Infliximab treatment in two patients with psoriatic arthritis and secondary IgA nephropathy. Clin Rheumatol. 2007;26:1132–3. CrossRef
- Lim CS, Yoon HJ, Kim YS, Ahn C, Han JS, Kim S, et al. Clinicopathological correlation of intrarenal cytokines and chemokines in IgA nephropathy. Nephrology. 2003;8:21–7. CrossRef
- Lai KN, Leung JC, Chan LY, Saleem MA, Mathieson PW, Lai FM, et al. Activation of podocytes by mesangial-derived TNF-alpha: glomerulo-podocytic communication in IgA nephropathy. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;294:F945–55. CrossRef
- Julian BA. Treatment of IgA nephropathy. Semin Nephrol. 2000;20:277–85.
- D’Haens G. Mucosal healing in pediatric Crohn’s disease: the goal of medical treatment. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2004;10:479–80. CrossRef
- Infliximab treatment for Crohn’s disease in a patient with IgA nephropathy
Clinical Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 2, Issue 6 , pp 380-383
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Endoscopy, Hiroshima University Hospital, 1-2-3 Kasumi, Minami-ku, Hiroshima, 734-8551, Japan
- 2. Department of Medicine and Molecular Science, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan