Aliskiren and valsartan in stage 2 hypertension: subgroup analysis of a randomized, double-blind study
Patients with stage 2 hypertension require large absolute reductions in blood pressure (BP) to achieve recommended BP goals. Combination therapy with the direct renin inhibitor, aliskiren, and the angiotensin receptor blocker, valsartan, has been shown to produce greater BP reductions than either agent alone in a double-blind study in 1797 hypertensive patients.
This post-hoc analysis evaluated the BP-lowering efficacy of aliskiren in combination with valsartan in a subset of patients (n=581) with stage 2 hypertension (baseline mean sitting systolic BP [msSBP] ≥160 mmHg). Patients were randomized to receive aliskiren/valsartan 150/160 mg, aliskiren 150 mg, valsartan 160 mg, or placebo once daily for 4 weeks followed by 4 weeks at double the initial dose. Mean changes from baseline in msSBP and mean sitting diastolic BP were assessed at week-8 endpoint (intent-to-treat population).
Aliskiren/valsartan 300/320 mg reduced BP from baseline by 22.5/11.4 mmHg at week-8 endpoint. BP reductions with combination therapy were significantly greater than with aliskiren 300 mg (17.3/8.9 mmHg, P<0.05), valsartan 320 mg (15.5/8.3 mmHg, P<0.01), or with placebo (7.9/3.7 mmHg, P<0.0001). BP control rates (<140/90 mmHg) were also significantly higher (P<0.05) with aliskiren/valsartan 300/320 mg (29.8%) compared with either aliskiren 300 mg (19.0%) or valsartan 320 mg (13.8%) monotherapy, or placebo (8.9%). All treatments were generally well tolerated.
Combination therapy with aliskiren and valsartan provided significantly greater BP reductions over aliskiren or valsartan monotherapy and is an appropriate option for management of BP in patients with stage 2 hypertension.
- Rosamond W, Flegal K, Furie K, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics - 2008 update: a report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation. 2008;117:e25–e146. CrossRef
- National Center for Health Statistics. The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2005-06 data files. Available at: www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/nhanes/datalink.htm. Accessed September 19, 2008.
- Lewington S, Clarke R, Qizilbash N, Peto R, Collins R. Age-specific relevance of usual blood pressure to vascular mortality: a metaanalysis of individual data for one million adults in 61 prospective studies. Lancet. 2002;360:1903–1913. CrossRef
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, et al. Seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Hypertension. 2003;42:1206–1252. CrossRef
- Mancia G, De Backer G, Dominiczak A, et al. 2007 guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the task force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). J Hypertens. 2007;25:1105–1187. CrossRef
- Jamerson KA, Nwose O, Jean-Louis L, Schofield L, Purkayastha D, Baron M. Initial angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor/calcium channel blocker combination therapy achieves superior blood pressure control compared with calcium channel blocker monotherapy in patients with stage 2 hypertension. Am J Hypertens. 2004;17:495–501. CrossRef
- Kereiakes DJ, Neutel JM, Punzi HA, Xu J, Lipka LJ, Dubiel R. Efficacy and safety of olmesartan medoxomil and hydrochlorothiazide compared with benazepril and amlodipine besylate. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2007;7:361–372. CrossRef
- Poldermans D, Glazes R, Kargiannis S, et al. Tolerability and blood pressure-lowering efficacy of the combination of amlodipine plus valsartan compared with lisinopril plus hydrochlorothiazide in adult patients with stage 2 hypertension. Clin Ther. 2007;29:279–289. CrossRef
- Everett BM, Glynn RJ, Danielson E, Ridker PM. Combination therapy versus monotherapy as initial treatment for stage 2 hypertension: a prespecified subgroup analysis of a community-based, randomized, open-label trial. Clin Ther. 2008;30:661–672. CrossRef
- Fisher ND, Hollenberg NK. Renin inhibition: what are the therapeutic opportunities? J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:592–599. CrossRef
- Frampton JE, Curran MP. Aliskiren: a review of its use in the management of hypertension. Drugs. 2007;67:1767–1792. CrossRef
- Parving HH, Persson F, Lewis JB, Lewis EJ, Hollenberg NK. Aliskiren combined with losartan in type 2 diabetes and nephropathy. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:2433–2446. CrossRef
- McMurray J, Pitt B, Latini R, et al. Effects of the oral direct renin inhibitor aliskiren in patients with symptomatic heart failure. Circ Heart Fail. 2008;1:17–24. CrossRef
- Oparil S, Yarows SA, Patel S, Fang H, Zhang J, Satlin A. Efficacy and safety of combined use of aliskiren and valsartan in patients with hypertension: a randomised, double-blind trial. Lancet. 2007;370:221–229. CrossRef
- Pickering TG, Hall JE, Appel LJ, et al. Recommendations for blood pressure measurement in humans and experimental animals: part 1: blood pressure measurement in humans: a statement for professionals from the Subcommittee of Professional and Public Education of the American Heart Association Council on High Blood Pressure Research. Hypertension. 2005;45:142–161.
- NCEP. Third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report. Circulation. 2002;106:3143–3421.
- Strasser RH, Puig JG, Farsang C, Croket M, Li J, van Ingen H. A comparison of the tolerability of the direct renin inhibitor aliskiren and lisinopril in patients with severe hypertension. J Hum Hypertens. 2007;21:780–787. CrossRef
- Calhoun D, Villamil A, Chrysant SG, Schober B, Fang H, Zhang J. Antihypertensive efficacy of aliskiren/hydrochlorothiazide (HCT) combinations in patients with stage 2 hypertension: subgroup analysis of a randomized, double-blind, factorial trial. Hypertension. 2008;52:e97. Abstract P209.
- Uresin Y, Taylor A, Kilo C, Fang H, Lukashevich L, Keefe DL. Aliskiren monotherapy lowers blood pressure more effectively than ramipril monotherapy in patients with diabetes and grade 2 hypertension: subgroup analysis of an 8-week, double-blind trial. J Hypertens. 2008;26:S479. Abstract PS433/THU/462.
- Weir MR, Bush C, Anderson DR, Zhang J, Keefe DL, Satlin A. Antihypertensive efficacy, safety and tolerability of the oral direct renin inhibitor aliskiren in patients with hypertension: a pooled analysis. J Am Soc Hypertens. 2007;1:264–277. CrossRef
- Basile JN, Chrysant S. The importance of early antihypertensive efficacy: the role of angiotensin II receptor blocker therapy. J Hum Hypertens. 2006;20:169–175. CrossRef
- Jamerson KA, Basile J. Prompt, aggressive BP lowering in high-risk patients. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2008;10:40–48. CrossRef
- Julius S, Kjeldsen SE, Weber M, et al. Outcomes in hypertensive patients at high cardiovascular risk treated with regimens based on valsartan or amlodipine: the VALUE randomised trial. Lancet. 2004;363:2022–2031. CrossRef
- Weber MA, Julius S, Kjeldsen SE, et al. Blood pressure dependent and independent effects of antihypertensive treatment on clinical events in the VALUE trial. Lancet. 2004;363:2049–2051. CrossRef
- Weycker D, Edelsberg J, Vincze G, Levy DG, Kartashov A, Oster G. Blood pressure control in patients initiating antihypertensive therapy. Ann Pharmacother. 2008;42:169–176. CrossRef
- Matos JP, de Lourdes Rodrigues M, Ismerim VL, Boasquevisque EM, Genelhu V, Francischetti EA. Effects of dual blockade of the renin angiotensin system in hypertensive type 2 diabetic patients with nephropathy. Clin Nephrol. 2005;64:180–189.
- Nakao N, Seno H, Kasuga H, Toriyama T, Kawahara H, Fukagawa M. Effects of combination treatment with losartan and trandolapril on office and ambulatory blood pressures in non-diabetic renal disease: a COOPERATE-ABP substudy. Am J Nephrol. 2004;24:543–548. CrossRef
- Yusuf S, Teo KK, Pogue J, et al. Telmisartan, ramipril, or both in patients at high risk for vascular events. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:1547–1559. CrossRef
- Perazella MA. Drug-induced hyperkalemia: old culprits and new offenders. Am J Med. 2000;109:307–314. CrossRef
- Palmer BF. Managing hyperkalemia caused by inhibitors of the renin-angiotensinaldosterone system. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:585–592. CrossRef
- Chrysant SG, Murray AV, Hoppe UC, et al. Long-term safety, tolerability and efficacy of aliskiren in combination with valsartan in patients with hypertension: a 6-month interim analysis. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008;24:1039–1047. CrossRef
- Aliskiren and valsartan in stage 2 hypertension: subgroup analysis of a randomized, double-blind study
Advances in Therapy
Volume 25, Issue 12 , pp 1288-1302
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Healthcare Communications
- Additional Links
- angiotensin receptor blocker
- blood pressure
- combination therapy
- direct renin inhibitor
- stage 2 hypertension
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Chelsea Internal Medicine/IHA, Chelsea, Michigan, USA
- 2. UAB Vascular Biology and Hypertension Program, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
- 3. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, East Hanover, New Jersey, USA