Acute-Onset Cerebellar Symptoms in Lhermitte–Duclos Disease: Case Report
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Adult-onset Lhermitte–Duclos disease (LD), or dysplastic cerebellar gangliocytoma, is a hamartoma considered pathognomonic for Cowden disease. Classically, LD has a progressive and insidious onset of symptoms. In this case report, we present a patient having rapid neurological deterioration from acute-onset LD. There are only three reported cases of acute LD presentation. A 22-year-old female presented to the emergency department with diplopia, dysarthria, dysphagia, and gait instability which developed within 6 h. A non-contrast CT scan revealed diffuse attenuation in the left cerebellum and mild ventricular dilatation. LP revealed no organisms. Magnetic resonance imaging revealed salient “tiger stripe” appearance of the left cerebellar cortex and effacement of the fourth ventricle. The patient subsequently underwent suboccipital craniotomy and gross total resection of the lesion. The tumor histology showed distortion of normal cerebellar architecture with dysplastic ganglion cells, loss of Purkinje cells, atrophy of the white matter, and expansion of cerebellar folia. Findings were consistent with adult-onset Lhermitte–Duclos disease.
- Yagci-Kupeli B, Oguz KK, Bilen MA, Yalcin B, Akalan N, Buyukpamukcu M. An unusual cause of posterior fossa mass: Lhermitte–Duclos disease. J Neurol Sci. 2010;290(1-2):138–41. Epub 2010/01/12. CrossRef
- Tan TC, Ho LC. Lhermitte–Duclos disease associated with Cowden syndrome. J Clin Neuroscie: Off J Neurosurg Soc Australas. 2007;14(8):801–5. Epub 2007/05/09.
- Vinchon M, Blond S, Lejeune JP, Krivosik I, Fossati P, Assaker R, et al. Association of Lhermitte–Duclos and Cowden disease: report of a new case and review of the literature. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1994;57(6):699–704. Epub 1994/06/01. CrossRef
- Robinson S, Cohen AR. Cowden disease and Lhermitte–Duclos disease: characterization of a new phakomatosis. Neurosurgery. 2000;46(2):371–83. Epub 2000/02/26. CrossRef
- Derrey S, Proust F, Debono B, Langlois O, Layet A, Layet V, et al. Association between Cowden syndrome and Lhermitte–Duclos disease: report of two cases and review of the literature. Surg Neurol. 2004;61(5):447–54. discussion 54. Epub 2004/05/04. CrossRef
- Andres RH, Guzman R, Weis J, Brekenfeld C, Fandino J, Seiler RW. Lhermitte–Duclos disease with atypical vascularization—case report and review of the literature. Clin Neuropathol. 2009;28(2):83–90. Epub 2009/04/10.
- Nair P, Pal L, Jaiswal AK, Behari S. Lhermitte–Duclos disease associated with dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor differentiation with characteristic magnetic resonance appearance of "tiger striping". World Neurosurgery. 2011;75(5-6):699–703. Epub 2011/06/28. CrossRef
- Eng C. PTEN: one gene, many syndromes. Hum Mutat. 2003;22(3):183–98. Epub 2003/08/26. CrossRef
- Perez-Nunez A, Lagares A, Benitez J, Urioste M, Lobato RD, Ricoy JR, et al. Lhermitte–Duclos disease and Cowden disease: clinical and genetic study in five patients with Lhermitte–Duclos disease and literature review. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2004;146(7):679–90. Epub 2004/06/16. CrossRef
- Kulkantrakorn K, Awwad EE, Levy B, Selhorst JB, Cole HO, Leake D, et al. MRI in Lhermitte–Duclos disease. Neurology. 1997;48(3):725–31. Epub 1997/03/01. CrossRef
- Robinson S, Cohen AR. Cowden disease and Lhermitte–Duclos disease: an update. Case report and review of the literature. Neurosurg Focus. 2006;20(1):E6. Epub 2006/02/08. CrossRef
- Singh G, Odriozola L, Guan H, Kennedy CR, Chan AM. Characterization of a novel PTEN mutation in MDA-MB-453 breast carcinoma cell line. BMC cancer. 2011;11:490. Epub 2011/11/23. CrossRef
- Tan MH, Mester JL, Ngeow J, Rybicki LA, Orloff MS, Eng C. Lifetime cancer risks in individuals with germline PTEN mutations. Clin Canc Res: An Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2012;18 (2):400–7. Epub 2012/01/19.
- Eng C. Genetics of Cowden syndrome: through the looking glass of oncology. Int J Oncol. 1998;12(3):701–10. Epub 1998/04/18.
- Schrager CA, Schneider D, Gruener AC, Tsou HC, Peacocke M. Clinical and pathological features of breast disease in Cowden's syndrome: an underrecognized syndrome with an increased risk of breast cancer. Hum Pathol. 1998;29(1):47–53. Epub 1998/01/28. CrossRef
- Acute-Onset Cerebellar Symptoms in Lhermitte–Duclos Disease: Case Report
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 127-130
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cowden disease
- Dysplastic cerebellar gangliocytoma
- PTEN (Phosphatase and tensin homolog) mutation
- Industry Sectors