Efficacy of a Fish Protein Hydrolysate in Malnourished Children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Protein hydrolysates are good nutritional supplements as their bioactive ingredients can be easily absorbed and utilized for various metabolic activities. A fish protein hydrolysate (Amizate), prepared by a unique process of hydrolysis has the advantage of high di/tri peptide content (<10 kDa) along with essential and non essential amino acids, micronutrients and vitamins. The effect of Amizate on malnourished children (6–8 years, a total of 438) of Grade I and II (Gomez’s classification) with respect to immunoglobulins, CD4/CD8 ratios and hemoglobin was examined. Measurement of these parameters during the user trial study (at the beginning and the end after 4 months) indicated that the levels of the immunological parameters were not significantly altered by the Amizate treatment. The values of immunoglobulins and CD4/CD8 ratios of malnourished children (India) are in the normal range and are in accordance with the reported values of various ethnic groups.
- Chandra RK, Kumari S. Nutrition and immunity: an overview. J Nutr. 1994;124(8 Suppl):1433S–5S. Review.
- Chandra RK. Nutrition, immunity, and infection: present knowledge and future directions. Lancet. 1983;1(8326 Pt 1):688–91.
- Faruque AS, Ahmed AM, Ahmed T, Islam MM, Hossain MI, Roy SK, Alam N, Kabir I, Sack DA. Nutrition: basis for healthy children and mothers in Bangladesh. J Health Popul Nutr. 2008;26(3):325–39. Review.
- Riches PG, Hobbs JR. Laboratory investigations of Immunoglobulin abnormalities. Clin Immunol Allergy. 1985;5(3):384–405.
- Saxena RK, Choudhry V, Nath I, Das SN, Paranjape RS, Babu G, Ramlingam S, Mohanty D, Vohra H, Thomas M, Saxena QB, Ganguly NK. Normal ranges of some select lymphocyte sub-populations in peripheral blood of normal healthy Indians. Curr Sci. 2004;86(7):969–75.
- Kannangai R, Prakash KJ, Ramalingam S, Abraham OC, Mathews KP, Jesudason MV, Sridharan G. Peripheral CD4+/CD8+ T-lymphocyte counts estimated by an immunocapture method in the normal healthy south Indian adults and HIV seropositive individuals. J Clin Virol. 2000;17(2):101–8. CrossRef
- Bofill M, Janossy G, Lee CA, MacDonald-Burns D, Phillips AN, Sabin C, Timms A, Johnson MA, Kernoff PB. Laboratory control values for CD4 and CD8 T lymphocytes Implications for HIV-1 diagnosis. Clin Exp Immunol. 1992;88(2):243–52. CrossRef
- Reinherz EL, Schlossman SF. Current concepts in immunology: regulation of the immune response-inducer and suppressor T-lymphocyte subsets in human beings. N Engl J Med. 1980;303(7):370–3. Review. CrossRef
- Silk DB, Grimble GK, Rees RG. Protein digestion and amino acid and peptide absorption. Proc Nutr Soc. 1985;44(1):63–72. Review. CrossRef
- Grimble GK. The significance of peptides in clinical nutrition. Annu Rev Nutr. 1994;14:419–47. Review. CrossRef
- Koopman R, Crombach N, Gijsen AP, Walrand S, Fauquant J, Kies AK, Lemosquet S, Saris WH, Boirie Y, van Loon LJ. Ingestion of a protein hydrolysate is accompanied by an accelerated in vivo digestion and absorption rate when compared with its intact protein. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009;90(1):106–15. CrossRef
- Manninen AH. Protein hydrolysates in sports nutrition. Nutr Metab (Lond). Sep;2009; 28;6:38.
- Tang JE, Moore DR, Kujbida GW, Tarnopolsky MA, Phillips SM. Ingestion of whey hydrolysate, casein, or soy protein isolate: effects on mixed muscle protein synthesis at rest and following resistance exercise in young men. J Appl Physiol. 2009;107(3):987–92. CrossRef
- Picot L, Bordenave S, Didelot S, Fruitier-Arnaudin I, Sannier F, Thorkelsson G, Berge JP, Guerard F, Chabeaud A, Piot JM. Antiproliferative activity of fish protein hydrolysates on human breast cancer cell lines. Process Biochem. 2006;41:1217–22. CrossRef
- Adibi SA, Morse EL. The number of glycine residues which limits intact absorption of glycine oligopeptides in human jejunum. J Clin Invest. 1977;60:1008–16. CrossRef
- Zymtech Production AS. Methods for recovering peptides/aminoacids and oil/fat from one or more protein containing raw materials products produced by the method and use of the product. Indian patent No: 208940 (granted on 16/8/2007).
- Zymtech Production AS. Amino acid and peptide products. PCT Application no. Wo2009/020394A1.
- Popkin BM, Yamamoto ME. A comparison of anthropometric classifications for nutritional status determination: a case study in the Philippines. J Trop Pediatr. 1985;31(6):311–9.
- Uppal SS, Verma S, Dhot PS. Normal values of CD4 and CD8 lymphocyte subsets in healthy Indian adults and the effects of sex, age, ethnicity, and smoking. Cytometry B Clin Cytom. 2003;52(1):32–6. CrossRef
- Singh YG, Dar L, Singh NG. Levels of CD4 and CD8 among the inhabitants of Manipur, India. J Commun Dis. 2000;32(3):201–6.
- Munson D, Franco D, Arbeter A, Velez H, Vitale JJ. Serum levels of immunoglobulins, cell-mediated immunity, and phagocytosis in protein-calorie malnutrition. Am J Clin Nutr. 1974;27(6):625–8.
- Bell RG, Turner KJ, Gracey M, Suharjono, Sunoto. Serum and small intestinal immunoglobulin levels in undernourished children. Am J Clin Nutr. 1976;29(4):392–7.
- Stoop JW, Zegers BJ, Sander PC, Ballieux RE. Serum immunoglobulin levels in healthy children and adults. Clin Exp Immunol. 1969;4(1):101–12.
- Ahmed J, Zaman MM, Rouf MA, Hassan MM, Zareen S. Reference value of immunoglobulins in healthy school children of Bangladesh. J Epidemiol. 2001;11(6):263–5.
- Reichert T, DeBruyere M, Deneys V, Totterman T, Lydyard P, Yuksel F, et al. Lymphocyte subset reference ranges in adult Caucasians. Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1991;60:190–208. CrossRef
- Efficacy of a Fish Protein Hydrolysate in Malnourished Children
Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry
Volume 26, Issue 4 , pp 360-365
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Protein hydrolysates
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Zymtech Production AS, Lesja, Norway
- 2. Consortium Clinical Research Pvt. Ltd, Tamil Nadu, India
- 3. Department of Biostatistics, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, India
- 4. Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi, India
- 5. Plant Pathology Division, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Pusa Campus, C/O Dr. P. Usha Sarma, Room no. 17, New Delhi, 110012, India