A Finite Element Analysis of Errors in Axisymmetricisothermal and Gleeble Compression Testing of Ti-6Al-4V
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Coupled thermo-mechanical finite element modelling of both the isothermal axisymmetric and Gleeble compression testing of Ti-6Al-4V has been carried out in order to give insight into errors which occur when generating flow stress data for process modelling by these methods. A strain-rate and temperature-dependent Norton-Hoff material model is used to represent the material in the analyses and also for calculation of relative stress error. Significant errors are predicted for both testing methods caused by interface friction between the platens and the specimen and plastically-induced heat generation. An axial temperature profile is also predicted in the Gleeble test specimen from resistance heating which increases deformation at the axial centre of the specimen and introduces further errors. Stress errors of up to 25% are predicted.
- Roebuck, B., et al., Materials at High Temperatures, 2006. 23(2): p. 59-83.
- Seetharaman, V., L. Boothe, and C.M. Lombard. Compressive deformation behavior of a Ti-6Al-4V alloy at high temperatures and strain rates. 1991. Detroit, MI, USA: Publ by Minerals, Metals & Materials Soc (TMS).
- Liang, W.-J., et al., Journal of Central South University of Technology (English Edition), 2008. 15(3): p. 289-294.
- Yang, Y.Q., B.C. Li, and Z.M. Zhang, Materials Science and Engineering A, 2009. 499(1-2): p. 238-241.
- Bruschi, S., et al., Materials Letters, 2004. 58(27-28): p. 3622-3629.
- Luo, J., et al., Materials Science and Engineering A, 2009. 505(1-2): p. 88-95.
- Park, C.H., et al., Materials Science and Engineering A, 2008. 496(1-2): p. 150-158.
- Scientific Forming Technologies Corporation, DEFORM 2D Version 10.0 User’s Manual, ed. J. Fluhrer. 2009, Columbus, Ohio.
- Kobayashi, S., S.-I. Oh, and T. Altan, Metal Forming and the Finite Element Method. Oxford Series on Advanced Manufacturing, ed. J.R. Crookall and M.C. Shaw. 1989: Oxford University Press. 377.
- Evans, R.W. and P.J. Scharning, Materials Science and Technology, 2001. 17(8): p. 995-1004.
- A Finite Element Analysis of Errors in Axisymmetricisothermal and Gleeble Compression Testing of Ti-6Al-4V
International Journal of Material Forming
Volume 3, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 1155-1158
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- plastic deformation
- finite element
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical, Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
- 3. University Technology Centre in Gas Turbine Transmission Systems, ITRC Building, The University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
- 2. Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering and Informatics, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland