Thermo-Mechanical Analysis and Lifing of Ni-Cr SPF Tool
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper describes the aniso-thermo-mechanical analysis of a representative large industrial SPF (XN40F, high nickel-chromium) tool. Sequentially coupled thermo-mechanical analyses under realistic loading conditions are developed within a general purpose non-linear FE code, ABAQUS to predict and analyse the complex temperature-stress-strain cycles of the SPF tool. A temperature-dependent, two-layer visco-plasticity model which combines both creep and combined isotropic-kinematic plasticity is chosen to represent the material behaviour. The material constants are identified from multiple strain-range isothermal cyclic tests and stress relaxation tests, over a range of temperatures between 20°C and 900°C. The FE predicted stress-strain data is used in stress-strain-life equations obtained from isothermal fatigue lifing tests at 900°C and the identified constants are validated against the TMF tests and simulative SPF tool test, designed to represent the temperature and stress-strain cycling associated with the most damaging phase of the tool cycle. The predicted SPF tool life is consistent with the simulative SPF tool test life and industrial observations.
- Gao, C.Y., Lours, P., Bernhart, G., Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 169, 2005, 281-291
- Bernhart, G, Nazaret, F, Cutard, T Euro-SPF 07, 5th European Conference on Superplastic Forming, Schwerin, Germany, Sept 5-7, 2007..
- Zhang, Z, Delagnes, D, Bernhart, G, Int J Fatigue, 24, 2002, 635-648.
- Velay, V, Bernhart, G, Delagnes, D, Penazzi, L, Fatigue Fract Engng Mater Struct, 28, 2005, 1009-1023.
- Deshpande, AA, Leen, SB, Hyde, TH, Proceedings of ASME PVP2009, July 26-30, 2009, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Deshpande, AA, Leen, SB, Hyde, TH, Euro SPF 2008, 6th European Conference on Superplastic Forming, Carcassonne, France, 3-5 Sept, 2008.
- Ostergren, W, J Test Eval, 1976, 4(5), pp 327-339.
- Zamrik, SY, and Renuald, ML, ASTM Special Technical Publication 2000, ASTM, Conshohocken, PA, United States, pp 109-137.
- Deshpande, A. High temperature an-iso thermomechanical analysis of superplastic forming tools, PhD Thesis, University of Nottingham, August 2009.
- Thermo-Mechanical Analysis and Lifing of Ni-Cr SPF Tool
International Journal of Material Forming
Volume 3, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 1151-1154
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- thermo-mechanical fatigue
- superplastic forming
- Ostergren model
- Zamrik model
- two-layer visco-plasticity model
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical, Materials & Manufacturing Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
- 3. University Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
- 2. Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering and Informatics, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland