Can rituximab replace splenectomy in immune thrombocytopenic purpura?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) is an autoimmune disorder characterized by premature platelet destruction. Standard practice is to initiate treatment with corticosteroids, followed by splenectomy. Most published literature for responses from rituximab is in patients with chronic refractory ITP, who have failed multiple prior treatments, including splenectomy. We therefore decided to analyze our patient population with ITP who had been treated with rituximab, mainly as a second line treatment regimen prior to splenectomy.
We performed a retrospective chart review of patients with a diagnosis of ITP who had been treated with rituximab between January 2001 and December 2006 at our institution.
18/29 patients (62%) had a CR, 2/29 (7%) patients had a PR, representing an overall response rate of 69%. The average time to response was 5 weeks and all patients have maintained their response for more than 12 months after treatment with rituximab.
Our study shows higher CR, comparable overall response rates, but with a longer duration of response when compared to the published literature.
- George JN, Woolf SH, Raskob GE, Wasser JS, Aledort LM, Ballem PJ, Blanchette VS, Bussel JB, Cines DB, Kelton JG, Lichtin AE, McMilian R, Okerbloom JA, Regan DH, Warrier I (1996) Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: a practice guideline developed by explicit methods for the American Society of Hematology: Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: Blood 88:3
- Lacey JV, Penner JA (1977) Management of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in the adult. Semin Thromb Hemost 3:160
- Stasi R, Stipa E, Masi M et al. (1995) Long-term observation of 208 adults with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Am J Med 98:436 CrossRef
- Kumar S, Diehn F, Gertz M, Tefferi A (2002) Splenectomy for immune thrombocytopenic purpura: long-term results and treatment of postsplenectomy relapses. Ann Hematol 81:312 CrossRef
- Kojouri K, Vesely SK, Terrell DR, George JN (2004) Splenectomy for adult patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: a systematic review to assess long-term platelet count responses, prediction of response, and surgical complications. Blood 104:2623 CrossRef
- Schilling RF (1995) Estimating the risk of sepsis after splenectomy in jeriditary spherocytosis. Ann Intern Med 122:187–188
- Fabris F, Tassan T, Ramon R, Carraro G, Randi ML, Luzzatto G Moschino P, Girolami A (2001) Age as the major predictive factor of long-term response to splenectomy in immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Br J Haematol 112(3):637–640 CrossRef
- McMilliam R, Durette C (2004) Long term outcomes in adults with chronic ITP after splenectomy failure. Blood 104:956 CrossRef
- Cooper N, Stasi R, Cunningham-Rundles S et al. (2004) The efficacy and safety of B-cell depletion with anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody in adults with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Br J Haematol 125:232 CrossRef
- Kojouri K, George JN (2005) Recent advances in the treatment of chronic refractory immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Int J Hematol 81(2):119–125 CrossRef
- Arnold DM, Dentali F, Crowther MA et al. (2007) Systematic review: efficacy and safety of rituximab for adults with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Ann Intern Med 146:25
- Stasi R, Pagano A, Stipa E, Amadori S (2001) Rituximab chimeric anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody treatment for adults with chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 98:952 CrossRef
- Braendstrup P, Bjerrum OW, Nielsen OJ et al. (2005) Rituximab chimeric anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody treatment for adult refractory idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Am J Hematol 78:275 CrossRef
- Giagounidis AA, Anhuf J, Schneider P, Germing U, Sohngen D, Quabeck K, Aul C (2002) Treatment of relapsed idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura with the anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody rituximab: a pilot study. Eur J Haematol 69(2):95–100 CrossRef
- Penalver FJ, Jiménez-Yuste V, Almagro M et al. (2006) Rituximab in the management of chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura: an effective and safe therapeutic alternative in refractory patients. Ann Hematol 85:400–406 CrossRef
- Dabak V, Hanbali A, Kuriakose P (2007) Can Rituximab replace splenectomy in Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura. Blood 110(11):1306
- Zaja F, Battista ML, Pirrota MT et al. (2007) Low Dose Rituximab in Adult Patients with Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. Blood 110(11):1305
- Can rituximab replace splenectomy in immune thrombocytopenic purpura?
Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion
Volume 25, Issue 1 , pp 6-9
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Immune thrombocytopenia