Tumor lysis syndrome following trastuzumab for breast cancer: a case report and review of the literature
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Tumor lysis syndrome, a complication of anticancer chemotherapy, results from rapid lysis of malignant cells. We report tumor lysis syndrome in a patient treated with trastuzumab for metastatic breast carcinoma. A 69-year-old woman was diagnosed with multiple liver metastases 1 month after mastectomy. As her liver functions had deteriorated, chemotherapeutic agents were contraindicated and she was treated with trastuzumab alone. On day 6 of the first course of trastuzumab, she developed tumor lysis syndrome. As her liver functions showed deterioration due to multiple hepatic metastases, hemodialysis was contraindicated. Acute renal failure worsened and she died 11 days after the administration of trastuzumab.
- Gemici C. Tumour lysis syndrome in solid tumours. Clin Oncol. 2006;18(10):773–80. CrossRef
- Bertrand C, Arnold A, Ching-Hon P, et al. Guidelines for the management of pediatric and adult tumor lysis syndrome: an evidence-based review. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(16):2767–78. CrossRef
- Mott FE, Esana A, Chakmakjian C, et al. Tumor lysis syndrome in solid tumors. Support Cancer Ther. 2005;2(3):188–91. CrossRef
- Beriwal S, Singh S, Garcia-Young JA. Tumor lysis syndrome in extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2002;25(5):474–5. CrossRef
- Kallab AM, Jillella AP. Tumor lysis syndrome in small cell lung cancer. Med Oncol. 2001;18(2):149–51. CrossRef
- Kalemkerian GP, Darwish B, Varterasian ML. Tumor lysis syndrome in small cell carcinoma and other solid tumors. Am J Med. 1997;103(5):363–7. CrossRef
- Kurt M, Onal IK, Elkiran T, et al. Acute tumor lysis syndrome triggered by zoledronic acid in a patient with metastatic lung adenocarcinoma. Med Oncol. 2005;22(2):203–6. CrossRef
- Feld J, Mehta H, Burkes RL. Acute spontaneous tumor lysis syndrome in adenocarcinoma of the lung: a case report. Am J Clin Oncol. 2000;23(5):491–3. CrossRef
- Sewani HH, Rabatin JT. Acute tumor lysis syndrome in a patient with mixed small cell and non-small cell tumor. Mayo Clin Proc. 2002;77(7):722–8. CrossRef
- Hsieh PM, Hung KC, Chen YS. Tumor lysis syndrome after transarterial chemoembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma: case reports and literature review. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15(37):4726–8. CrossRef
- Shiba H, Ishida Y, Wakiyama S, et al. Acute tumor lysis syndrome after transarterial chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Sci. 2008;99(10):2104–5. CrossRef
- Vaisban E, Braester A, Mosenzon O, et al. Spontaneous tumor lysis syndrome in solid tumors: really a rare condition? Am J Med Sci. 2003;325(1):38–40. CrossRef
- Shiozawa K, Watanabe M, Takenaka H, et al. Tumor lysis syndrome after sorafenib for hepatocellular carcinoma: a case report. Hepatogastroenterology. 2010;57(101):688–90.
- Zigrossi P, Brustia M, Bobbio F, et al. Flare and tumor lysis syndrome with atypical features after letrozole therapy in advanced breast cancer. A case report. Ann Ital Med Int. 2001;16(2):112–7.
- Rostom AY, El-Hussainy G, Kandil A, et al. Tumor lysis syndrome following hemi-body irradiation for metastatic breast cancer. Ann Oncol. 2000;11(10):1349–51. CrossRef
- Sklarin NT, Markham M. Spontaneous recurrent tumor lysis syndrome in breast cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 1995;18(1):71–3. CrossRef
- Lin CJ, Lim KH, Cheng YC, et al. Tumor lysis syndrome after treatment with gemcitabine for metastatic transitional cell carcinoma. Med Oncol. 2007;24(4):455–7. CrossRef
- Michels J, Lassau N, Gross-Goupil M, et al. Sunitinib inducing tumor lysis syndrome in a patient treated for renal carcinoma. Invest New Drugs. 2010;28(5):690–3. CrossRef
- Wright JL, Lin DW, Dewan P, et al. Tumor lysis syndrome in a patient with metastatic, androgen independent prostate cancer. Int J Urol. 2005;12(11):1012–3. CrossRef
- Nakamura Y, Nakamura Y, Hori E, et al. Tumor lysis syndrome after transcatheter arterial infusion of cisplatin and embolization therapy for liver metastases of melanoma. Int J Dermatol. 2009;48(7):763–7. CrossRef
- Habib GS, Saliba WR. Tumor lysis syndrome after hydrocortisone treatment in metastatic melanoma: a case report and review of the literature. Am J Med Sci. 2002;323(3):155–7. CrossRef
- Castro MP, VanAuken J, Spencer-Cisek P, et al. Acute tumor lysis syndrome associated with concurrent biochemotherapy of metastatic melanoma: a case report and review of the literature. Cancer. 1999;85(5):1055–9. CrossRef
- Oztop I, Demirkan B, Yaren A, et al. Rapid tumor lysis syndrome in a patient with metastatic colon cancer as a complication of treatment with 5-fluorouracil/leucoverin and irinotecan. Tumori. 2004;90(5):514–6.
- Woo IS, Kim JS, Park MJ, et al. Spontaneous acute tumor lysis syndrome with advanced gastric cancer. J Korean Med Sci. 2001;16(1):115–8.
- Gold JE, Malamud SC, LaRosa F, et al. Adoptive chemoimmunotherapy using ex vivo activated memory T-cells and cyclophosphamide: tumor lysis syndrome of a metastatic soft tissue sarcoma. Am J Hematol. 1993;44(1):42–7. CrossRef
- Pinder EM, Atwal GS, Ayantunde AA, et al. Tumour lysis syndrome occurring in a patient with metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumour treated with Glivec (imatinib mesylate, Gleevec, STI571). Sarcoma. 2007;2007:82012. CrossRef
- Hiraizumi Y, Kamoi S, Inde Y, et al. A case of tumor lysis syndrome following chemotherapy for a uterine epithelioid leiomyosarcoma with focal rhabdomyosarcomatous differentiation. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2011;37(7):947–52. CrossRef
- Bilgrami SF, Fallon BG. Tumor lysis syndrome after combination chemotherapy for ovarian cancer. Med Pediatr Oncol. 1993;21(7):521–4. CrossRef
- Schuman S, Pearson JM, Lucci JA 3rd, et al. Metastatic gestational trophoblastic neoplasia complicated by tumor lysis syndrome, heart failure, and thyrotoxicosis: a case report. J Reprod Med. 2010;55(9–10):441–4.
- Baeksgaard L, Sørensen JB. Acute tumor lysis syndrome in solid tumors—a case report and review of the literature. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2003;51(3):187–92.
- D’Alessandro V, Greco A, Clemente C, et al. Severe spontaneous acute tumor lysis syndrome and hypoglycemia in patient with germ cell tumor. Tumori. 2010;96(6):1040–3.
- Qian KQ, Ye H, Xiao YW, et al. Tumor lysis syndrome associated with chemotherapy in primary retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma by ex vivo ATP-based tumor chemo-sensitivity assay (ATP-TCA). Int J Gen Med. 2009;2:1–4.
- Abboud M, Shamseddine A. Maxillary sinus squamous cell carcinoma presenting with fatal tumor lysis syndrome: a case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Oncol. 2009;2(3):229–33. CrossRef
- Yokoi K, Miyazawa N, Kano Y, et al. Tumor lysis syndrome in invasive thymoma with peripheral blood T-cell lymphocytosis. Am J Clin Oncol. 1997;20(1):86–9. CrossRef
- Froilán Torres C, Castro Carbajo P, Pajares Villarroya R, et al. Acute spontaneous tumor lysis syndrome in a patient with Crohn’s disease taking immunosuppressants. Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2009;101(4):288–94. CrossRef
- Kurt M, Eren OO, Engin H, et al. Tumor lysis syndrome following a single dose of capecitabine. Ann Pharmacother. 2004;38(5):902. CrossRef
- Ustündağ Y, Boyacioğlu S, Haznedaroğlu IC, et al. Acute tumor lysis syndrome associated with paclitaxel. Ann Pharmacother. 1997;31(12):1548–9.
- Drakos P, Bar-Ziv J, Catane R. Tumor lysis syndrome in nonhematologic malignancies. Report of a case and review of the literature. Am J Clin Oncol. 1994;17(6):502–5. CrossRef
- Barton JC. Tumor lysis syndrome in nonhematopoietic neoplasms. Cancer. 1989;64(3):738–40. CrossRef
- Stark ME, Dyer MC, Coonley CJ. Fatal acute tumor lysis syndrome with metastatic breast carcinoma. Cancer. 1987;60(4):762–4. CrossRef
- Cech P, Block JB, Cone LA. Tumor lysis syndrome after tamoxifen flare. N Engl J Med. 1986;315(4):263–4. CrossRef
- Tumor lysis syndrome following trastuzumab for breast cancer: a case report and review of the literature
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Tumor lysis syndrome
- Solid tumor
- Breast cancer
- Molecular targeting drug
- Industry Sectors