One-step nucleic acid amplification assay (OSNA) for sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Yasuhiro Tamaki
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The one-step nucleic acid amplification assay (OSNA) has been developed for the intraoperative rapid detection of sentinel lymph node metastasis. Pooled analysis of recent studies comparing OSNA with pathology indicated that OSNA is as accurate as pathology (96.3 % concordance rate) and is useful for making the decision to omit axillary dissection for OSNA-negative patients (97.4 % negative predictive value). The advantage of OSNA over pathology is that the former allows the semiquantitative evaluation of total tumor volume in the node when a whole node is examined. OSNA is expected to be a powerful tool for the estimation of risk of non-sentinel lymph node metastasis and also patient prognosis, though further studies about this issue with larger numbers of patients is needed.
- Tsujimoto M, Nakabayashi K, Yoshidome K, Kaneko T, Iwase T, Akiyama F, et al. One-step nucleic acid amplification for intraoperative detection of lymph node metastasis in breast cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:4807–16. CrossRef
- Giuliano AE, Hunt KK, Ballman KV, Beitsch PD, Whitworth PW, Blumencranz PW, et al. Axillary dissection vs no axillary dissection in women with invasive breast cancer and sentinel node metastasis: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2011;305:569–75. CrossRef
- Giuliano AE, Hawes D, Ballman KV, Whitworth PW, Blumencranz PW, Reintgen DS, et al. Association of occult metastases in sentinel lymph nodes and bone marrow with survival among women with early-stage invasive breast cancer. JAMA. 2011;306:385–93. CrossRef
- Visser M, Jiwa M, Horstman A, Brink AA, Pol RP, van Diest P, et al. Intra-operative rapid diagnostic method based on CK19 mRNA expression for the detection of lymph node metastases in breast cancer. Int J Cancer. 2008;122:2562–7. CrossRef
- Schem C, Maass N, Bauerschlag DO, Carstensen MH, Löning T, Roder C, et al. One-step nucleic acid amplification—a molecular method for the detection of lymph node metastases in breast cancer patients; results of the German study group. Virchows Arch. 2009;454:203–10. CrossRef
- Tamaki Y, Akiyama F, Iwase T, Kaneko T, Tsuda H, Sato K, et al. Molecular detection of lymph node metastases in breast cancer patients: results of a multicenter trial using the one-step nucleic acid amplification assay. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:2879–84. CrossRef
- Feldman S, Krishnamurthy S, Gillanders W, Gittelman M, Beitsch PD, Young PR, et al. A novel automated assay for the rapid identification of metastatic breast carcinoma in sentinel lymph nodes. Cancer. 2011;117:2599–607. CrossRef
- Khaddage A, Berremila SA, Forest F, Clemenson A, Bouteille C, Seffert P, et al. Implementation of molecular intra-operative assessment of sentinel lymph node in breast cancer. Anticancer Res. 2011;31:585–90.
- Snook KL, Layer GT, Jackson PA, de Vries CS, Shousha S, Sinnett HD, et al. Multicentre evaluation of intraoperative molecular analysis of sentinel lymph nodes in breast carcinoma. Br J Surg. 2011;98:527–35. CrossRef
- Le Frère-Belda MA, Bats AS, Gillaizeau F, Poulet B, Clough KB, Nos C, et al. Diagnostic performance of one-step nucleic acid amplification for intraoperative sentinel node metastasis detection in breast cancer patients. Int J Cancer. 2011;130:2377–86. CrossRef
- Bernet L, Cano R, Martinez M, Dueñas B, Matias-Guiu X, Morell L, Palacios J, et al. Diagnosis of the sentinel lymph node in breast cancer: a reproducible molecular method: a multicentric Spanish study. Histopathology. 2011;58:863–9. CrossRef
- Sagara Y, Ohi Y, Matsukata A, Yotsumoto D, Baba S, Tamada S, Sagara Y, et al. Clinical application of the one-step nucleic acid amplification method to detect sentinel lymph node metastasis in breast cancer. Breast Cancer. 2012 (in press).
- Tamaki Y, Sato N, Homma K, Takabatake D, Nishimura R, Tsujimoto M, et al. Routine clinical use of the one-step nucleic acid amplification assay for detection of sentinel lymph node metastases in breast cancer patients: result of a multicenter study in Japan. Cancer. 2012 (in press).
- Godey F, Leveque J, Tas P, Gandon G, Poree P, Mesbah H, et al. Sentinel lymph node analysis in breast cancer: contribution of one-step nucleic acid amplification (OSNA). Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;131:509–16. CrossRef
- Vogué LB, Rojo F, Hardisson D, Iturriagagoitia AC, Panadés MJ, Velasco A, et al. Comparison of molecular analysis and histopathology for axillary lymph node staging in primary breast cancer: results of the B-CLOSER-1 study. Diagn Mol Pathol. 2012;21:69–76. CrossRef
- Osako T, Iwase T, Kimura K, Yamashita K, Horii R, Yanagisawa A, et al. Intraoperative molecular assay for sentinel lymph node metastases in early stage breast cancer: a comparative analysis between one-step nucleic acid amplification whole node assay and routine frozen section histology. Cancer. 2011;117:4365–74. CrossRef
- Castellano I, Marci L, Deambrogio C, Balmativola D, Bussone R, Ala A, et al. Reliability of whole sentinel lymph node analysis by one-step nucleic acid amplification for intraoperative diagnosis of breast cancer metastases. Ann Surg. 2012;255:334–42. CrossRef
- Viale G, Maiorano E, Pruneri G, Mastropasqua MG, Valentini S, Galimberti V, et al. Predicting the risk for additional axillary metastases in patients with breast carcinoma and positive sentinel lymph node biopsy. Ann Surg. 2005;241:319–25. CrossRef
- Christiansen P, Friis E, Balslev E, Jensen D, Møller S, Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group. Sentinel node biopsy in breast cancer: five years experience. 2008;47:561–8.
- Chu PG, Weiss LM. Keratin expression in human tissues and neoplasms. Histopathology. 2002;40:403–39. CrossRef
- Parikh RR, Yang Q, Higgins SA, Haffty BG. Outcomes in young women with breast cancer of triple-negative phenotype: the prognostic significance of CK 19 expression. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008;70:35–42. CrossRef
- Viardell F, Novell A, Martin J, Santacana M, Velasco A, Diez-Castro MJ, et al. Importance of assessing CK19 immunostaining in core biopsies in patients subjected to sentinel node biopsy by OSNA. Virchows Arch. 2012 (in press).
- de Boer M, van Dijck JA, Bult P, Borm GF, Tjan-Heijnen VC. Breast cancer prognosis and occult lymph node metastases, isolated tumor cells, and micrometastases. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010;102:410–25. CrossRef
- de Boer M, van Deurzen CH, van Dijck JA, Borm GF, van Diest PJ, Adang EM, et al. Micrometastases or isolated tumor cells and the outcome of breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:653–63. CrossRef
- Reed J, Rosman M, Verbanac KM, Mannie A, Cheng Z, Tafra L. Prognostic implications of isolated tumor cells and micrometastases in sentinel nodes of patients with invasive breast cancer: 10-year analysis of patients enrolled in the prospective East Carolina University/Anne Arundel Medical Center Sentinel Node Multicenter Study. J Am Coll Surg. 2009;208:333–40. CrossRef
- Hansen NM, Grube B, Ye X, Turner RR, Brenner RJ, Sim MS, et al. Impact of micrometastases in the sentinel node of patients with invasive breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:4679–84. CrossRef
- Gobardhan PD, Elias SG, Madsen EVE, van Wely B, van den Wildenberg F, Theunissen EBM, et al. Prognostic value of lymph node micrometastases in breast cancer: a multicenter cohort study. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;18:1657–64. CrossRef
- Weaver DL, Ashikaga T, Krag DN, Skelly JM, Anderson SJ, Harlow SP, et al. Effect of occult metastases on survival in node-negative breast cancer. New Engl J Med. 2011;364:412–21. CrossRef
- Pepels MJ, de Boer M, Bult P, van Dijck JA, van Deurzen CH, Menke-Pluymers MB, et al. Regional recurrence in breast cancer patients with sentinel node micrometastases and isolated tumor cells. Ann Surg. 2012;255:116–21. CrossRef
- Giuliano AE, McCall LM, Beitsch P, Whitworth PW, Blumencrantz P, Leitch M, et al. Locoregional recurrence after sentinel lymph node dissection with or without axillary dissection in patients with sentinel lymph node metastases. Ann Surg. 2010;252:426–33.
- Rebollo-Aguirre AC, Gallego-Peinado M, Menjón-Beltrán S, Garcia–Garcia J, Pastor-Pons E, Chamorro-Santos CE, et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in patients with operable breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Rev Esp Med Nucl. 2012;31:117–23.
- One-step nucleic acid amplification assay (OSNA) for sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Yasuhiro Tamaki (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, 1-3-3, Nakamichi, Higashinari-ku, Osaka, 537-8511, Japan