Predictive value of FDG PET/CT for pathologic axillary node involvement after neoadjuvant chemotherapy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The purpose of this study was to determine the usefulness of sequential FDG PET/CTs for prediction of axillary lymph node (ALN) status after neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NAC).
Seventy-seven stage II or III breast cancer patients who received 3 cycles of neoadjuvant docetaxel/doxorubicin chemotherapy were enrolled in this prospective study. FDG PET/CTs were acquired before chemotherapy and after the first cycle of chemotherapy for early metabolic response prediction.
Patients with pN0 had significantly lower post-NAC ALN standard uptake value (SUV) than those who were pN+ (1.22 ± 1.46 in pN0 vs. 2.13 ± 1.99 in pN+, P = 0.017). Post-NAC ALN size on CT also differed according to pathologic ALN status (6.3 mm in pN0 vs. 11.1 mm in pN+, P = 0.014). When serial FDG PET/CT and chest CT were used, patients with an SUV > 1.5 and post-NAC ALN size ≥10 mm on CT did not achieve pN0 (specificity 100% and positive predictive value 100%).
The serial FDG PET/CT after NAC could predict the pathologic status of ALN before surgery in stage II/III breast cancer. Our findings suggest that the combined use of serial FDG PET/CTs and chest CT might provide better information regarding ALN before surgery.
- Fitzgibbons PL, Page DL, Weaver D, Thor AD, Allred DC, Clark GM, et al. Prognostic factors in breast cancer. College of American Pathologists Consensus Statement 1999. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000;124:966–78.
- Baslaim MM, Al Malik OA, Al-Sobhi SS, Ibrahim E, Ezzat A, Ajarim D, et al. Decreased axillary lymph node retrieval in patients after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Am J Surg. 2002;184(4):299–301. CrossRef
- Estevez LG, Gradishar WJ. Evidence-based use of neoadjuvant taxane in operable and inoperable breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:3249–61. CrossRef
- Shimizu C, Ando M, Kouno T, Katsumata N, Fujiwara Y. Current trends and controversies over pre-operative chemotherapy for women with operable breast cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2007;37:1–8. CrossRef
- Kwan W, Jackson J, Weir LM, Dingee C, McGregor G, Olivotto IA. Chronic arm morbidity after curative breast cancer treatment: prevalence and impact on quality of life. J Clin Oncol. 2002;20:4242–8. CrossRef
- Chao C, McMasters K. The current status of sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer. Adv Surg. 2002;36:167–92.
- Lyman GH, Giuliano AE, Somerfield MR, Benson AB 3rd, Bodurka DC, Burstein HJ, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline recommendations for sentinel lymph node biopsy in early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:7703–20. CrossRef
- Newman EA, Sabel MS, Nees AV, Schott A, Diehl KM, Cimmino VM, et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy performed after neoadjuvant chemotherapy is accurate in patients with documented node-positive breast cancer at presentation. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007;14:2946–52. CrossRef
- Sabel MS, Schott AF, Kleer CG, Merajver S, Cimmino VM, Diehl KM, et al. Sentinel node biopsy prior to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Am J Surg. 2003;186:102–5. CrossRef
- Khan A, Sabel MS, Nees A, Diehl KM, Cimmino VM, Kleer CG, et al. Comprehensive axillary evaluation in neoadjuvant chemotherapy patients with ultrasonography and sentinel lymph node biopsy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2005;12:697–704. CrossRef
- Kinoshita T. Sentinel lymph node biopsy is feasible for breast cancer patients after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Breast Cancer. 2007;14:10–5. CrossRef
- Gil-Rendo A, Zornoza G, Garcia-Velloso MJ, Regueira FM, Beorlegui C, Cervera M. Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography with sentinel lymph node biopsy for evaluation of axillary involvement in breast cancer. Br J Surg. 2006;93:707–12. CrossRef
- Greco M, Crippa F, Agresti R, Seregni E, Gerali A, Giovanazzi R, et al. Axillary lymph node staging in breast cancer by 2-fluoro-2-deoxy-d-glucose-positron emission tomography: clinical evaluation and alternative management. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2001;93:630–5. CrossRef
- Veronesi U, De Cicco C, Galimberti VE, Fernandez JR, Rotmensz N, Viale G, et al. A comparative study on the value of FDG-PET and sentinel node biopsy to identify occult axillary metastases. Ann Oncol. 2007;18:473–8. CrossRef
- Wahl RL, Siegel BA, Coleman RE, Gatsonis CG. Prospective multicenter study of axillary nodal staging by positron emission tomography in breast cancer: a report of the staging breast cancer with PET Study Group. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22:277–85. CrossRef
- Zornoza G, Garcia-Velloso MJ, Sola J, Regueira FM, Pina L, Beorlegui C. 18F-FDG PET complemented with sentinel lymph node biopsy in the detection of axillary involvement in breast cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2004;30:15–9. CrossRef
- Cermik TF, Mavi A, Basu S, Alavi A. Impact of FDG PET on the preoperative staging of newly diagnosed breast cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2008;35:475–83. CrossRef
- Kim J, Lee J, Chang E, Kim S, Suh K, Sul J, et al. Selective sentinel node plus additional non-sentinel node biopsy based on an FDG-PET/CT scan in early breast cancer patients: single institutional experience. World J Surg. 2009;33:943–9. CrossRef
- Ueda S, Tsuda H, Asakawa H, Omata J, Fukatsu K, Kondo N, et al. Utility of 18F-fluoro-deoxyglucose emission tomography/computed tomography fusion imaging (18F-FDG PET/CT) in combination with ultrasonography for axillary staging in primary breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:165. CrossRef
- Hodgson NC, Gulenchyn KY. Is there a role for positron emission tomography in breast cancer staging? J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:712–20. CrossRef
- Keam B, Im SA, Koh Y, Han SW, Oh DY, Cho N, et al. Early metabolic response using FDG PET/CT and molecular phenotypes of breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy. BMC Cancer. 2011;11(1):452. CrossRef
- Keam B, Im SA, Kim HJ, Oh DY, Kim JH, Lee SH, et al. Clinical significance of axillary nodal ratio in stage II/III breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009;116:153–60. CrossRef
- Keam B, Im SA, Kim HJ, Oh DY, Kim JH, Lee SH, et al. Prognostic impact of clinicopathologic parameters in stage II/III breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant docetaxel and doxorubicin chemotherapy: paradoxical features of the triple negative breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:203. CrossRef
- Recht A, Edge SB, Solin LJ, Robinson DS, Estabrook A, Fine RE, et al. Postmastectomy radiotherapy: clinical practice guidelines of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19:1539–69.
- Han S, Kim SB, Kang SS, Noh WC, Paik NS, Chang ES, et al. A phase II study of neoadjuvant docetaxel plus doxorubicin (KBCS-01) in stage II, III breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006;98:57–61. CrossRef
- Greene F, Page D, Fleming I, Fritz A, Balch C, Haller D, et al. AJCC cancer staging manual, 6th edn. New York: Springer; 2002.
- Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, Wanders J, Kaplan RS, Rubinstein L, et al. New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000;92:205–16. CrossRef
- Lee KH, Im SA, Oh DY, Lee SH, Chie EK, Han W, et al. Prognostic significance of bcl-2 expression in stage III breast cancer patients who had received doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel as adjuvant chemotherapy. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:63. CrossRef
- Noh DY, Yun IJ, Kim JS, Kang HS, Lee DS, Chung JK, et al. Diagnostic value of positron emission tomography for detecting breast cancer. World J Surg. 1998;22:223–7. CrossRef
- Chung A, Liou D, Karlan S, Waxman A, Fujimoto K, Hagiike M, et al. Preoperative FDG-PET for axillary metastases in patients with breast cancer. Arch Surg. 2006;141:783–8. CrossRef
- Fehr MK, Hornung R, Varga Z, Burger D, Hess T, Haller U, et al. Axillary staging using positron emission tomography in breast cancer patients qualifying for sentinel lymph node biopsy. Breast J. 2004;10:89–93. CrossRef
- Taira N, Ohsumi S, Takabatake D, Hara F, Takashima S, Aogi K, et al. Determination of indication for sentinel lymph node biopsy in clinical node-negative breast cancer using preoperative 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography fusion imaging. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2009;39:16–21. CrossRef
- Lim HS, Yoon W, Chung TW, Kim JK, Park JG, Kang HK, et al. FDG PET/CT for the detection and evaluation of breast diseases: usefulness and limitations. Radiographics. 2007;27(Suppl 1):S197–213. CrossRef
- Rousseau C, Bourbouloux E, Campion L, Fleury N, Bridji B, Chatal JF, et al. Brown fat in breast cancer patients: analysis of serial (18)F-FDG PET/CT scans. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2006;33:785–91. CrossRef
- Predictive value of FDG PET/CT for pathologic axillary node involvement after neoadjuvant chemotherapy
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 167-173
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- 18F-FDG PET
- Breast cancer
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy
- Axillary node
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon-Dong, Chongno-Gu, Seoul, 110-744, Korea
- 2. Cancer Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
- 3. Department of Radiology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
- 4. Department of Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
- 5. Department of Nuclear Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
- 6. Department of Pathology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea