Paradigm shift in axilla surgery for breast cancer patients treated with sentinel node biopsy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sentinel node biopsy (SNB) is a standard technique for the diagnosis of regional lymph node metastases in clinically node-negative breast cancer patients. In the case of pathologically negative sentinel lymph nodes (SLN), axillary lymph node dissection (ALND) can be avoided.
Recent clinical studies on SNB in breast cancer were reviewed regarding the pathological and molecular diagnosis of SLN, the tools used to predict non-SLN metastases, the prognostic significance of isolated tumor cells (ITC) and micrometastases (MIC), and axilla surgery.
ITC or MIC in SLN was associated with worse survival in patients treated with SNB alone or SNB followed by ALND. However, this effect was limited and adjuvant therapy improved survival. If T1 and one SLN-positive breast cancer patients are treated with whole-breast irradiation and adjuvant therapy, additional ALND may not be necessary.
SNB without ALND can be adopted for patients with a small number of SLN metastases. Although the lack of apparent regional lymph node recurrence, similar to tumor dormancy, cannot be fully explained, ALND should be performed in cases that are highly suspected to be non-SLN metastases.
- Fisher B, Redmond C, Fisher ER, Bauer M, Wolmark N, Wickerham DL, et al. Ten-year results of a randomized clinical trial comparing radical mastectomy and total mastectomy with or without radiation. N Engl J Med. 1985;312:674–81. CrossRef
- Fisher B, Jeong JH, Anderson S, Bryant J, Fisher ER, Wolmark N. Twenty-five-year follow-up of a randomized trial comparing radical mastectomy, total mastectomy, and total mastectomy followed by irradiation. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:567–75. CrossRef
- Krag DN, Weaver DL, Alex JC, Fairbank JT. Surgical resection and radiolocalization of the sentinel lymph node in breast cancer using a gamma probe. Surg Oncol. 1993;2:335–9. CrossRef
- Cabanas RM. An approach for the treatment of penile carcinoma. Cancer. 1977;39:156–66. CrossRef
- Kim T, Giuliano AE, Lyman GH. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node biopsy in early-stage breast carcinoma: a metaanalysis. Cancer. 2006;106:4–16. CrossRef
- Gershenwald JE, Ross MI. Sentinel-lymph-node biopsy for cutaneous melanoma. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:1738–45. CrossRef
- Veronesi U, Paganelli G, Viale G, Luini A, Zurrida S, Galimberti V, et al. Sentinel-lymph-node biopsy as a staging procedure in breast cancer: update of a randomised controlled study. Lancet Oncol. 2006;7:983–90. CrossRef
- Krag DN, Anderson S, Julian TB, Brown AM, Harlow SP, Constantino JP, et al. Sentinel-lymph-node resection compared with conventional axillary-lymph-node dissection in clinically node-negative patients with breast cancer: overall survival findings from the NSABP B-32 randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2010;11:927–33. CrossRef
- Posther KE, McCall LM, Blumencranz PW, Burak WE, Beitsch PD, Hansen NM, et al. Sentinel node skills verification and surgeon performance data from a multicenter clinical trial for early-stage breast cancer. Ann Surg. 2005;242:593–602.
- Giuliano AE, Hunt KK, Ballman KV, Beitsch PD, Whitworth PW, Blumencranz PW, et al. Axillary dissection vs no axillary dissection in women with invasive breast cancer and sentinel node metastasis. JAMA. 2011;305:569–75. CrossRef
- Tsugawa K, Nakamura S, Iwata H, Ohno S, Akiyama F, Motomura K, et al. A nationwide multicenter study of the sentinel lymph node biopsy in the breast cancer patients in Japan. Presented at the 7th International Sentinel Node Society Meeting. November 19, 2010.
- Chagpar A, Middleton LP, Sahin AA, Meirc-Bernstam F, Kuerer HM, Feig BW, et al. Clinical outcome of patients with lymph node-negative breast carcinoma who have sentinel lymph node micrometastases detected by immunohistochemistry. Cancer. 2005;103:1581–6. CrossRef
- Tan LK, Giri D, Hummer AJ, Panageas KS, Brogi E, Norton L, et al. Occult axillary node metastases in breast cancer are prognostically significant: results in 368 node-negative patients with 20-year follow-up. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:1803–9. CrossRef
- Sobin LH, Wittekind Ch. TNM classification of malignant tumours. 6th ed. New York: Wiley; 2002. p. 9–13.
- Lyman GH, Giuliano AE, Somerfield MR, Benson AB III, Bodurka DC, Burstein HJ, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline recommendations for sentinel lymph node biopsy in early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;30:7703–20. CrossRef
- Cserni G, Amendoeira I, Apostolikas N, Bellocq JP, Bianchi S, Boecker W, et al. Discrepancies in current practice of pathological evaluation of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer. Results of a questionnaire based survey by the European working group for breast screening pathology. J Clin Pathol. 2004;57:695–701. CrossRef
- Tsujimoto M, Nakabayashi K, Yoshidome K, Kaneko T, Iwase T, Akiyama F, et al. One-step nucleic acid amplification for intraoperative detection of lymph node metastasis in breast cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:4807–13. CrossRef
- Tamaki Y, Akiyama F, Iwase T, Kaneko T, Tsuda H, Sato K, et al. Molecular detection of lymph node metastases in breast cancer patients: results of a multicenter trial using the one-step nucleic acid amplification assay. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:2879–84. CrossRef
- Feldman S, Krishnamurthy S, Gillanders W, Gittleman M, Beitsch PD, Young PR, et al. A novel automated assay for the rapid identification of metastatic breast carcinoma in sentinel lymph nodes. Cancer. 2011;117:2599–607. CrossRef
- Osako T, Iwase T, Kimura K, Yamashita K, Horii R, Yanagisawa A, et al. Intraoperative molecular assay for sentinel lymph node metastases in early stage breast cancer: a comparative analysis between one-step nucleic acid amplification whole node assay and routine frozen section histology. Cancer. 2011;117:4365–74.
- Wada N, Imoto S. Clinical evidence of breast cancer micrometastasis in the era of sentinel node biopsy. Int J Clin Oncol. 2008;13:24–32. CrossRef
- Van Zee KJ, Manasseh DM, Bevilacqua JL, Boolbol SK, Fey JV, Tan LK, et al. A nomogram for predicting the likelihood of additional nodal metastases in breast cancer patients with a positive sentinel node biopsy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2003;10:1140–51. CrossRef
- Hwang RF, Krishnamurthy S, Hunt KK, Mirza N, Ames FC, Feig B, et al. Clinicopathologic factors predicting involvement of nonsentinel axillary nodes in women with breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2003;10:248–54. CrossRef
- Degnim AC, Reynolds C, Pantvaidya G, Zakaria S, Hoskin T, Barnes S, et al. Nonsentinel node metastasis in breast cancer patients: assessment of an existing and a new predictive nomogram. Am J Surg. 2005;190:543–50. CrossRef
- Barranger E, Coutant C, Flahault A, Delpech Y, Darai E, Uzan S. An axilla scoring system to predict non-sentinel lymph node status in breast cancer patients with sentinel lymph node involvement. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005;91:113–9. CrossRef
- Coufal O, Pavlik T, Fabian P, Bori R, Boross G, Sejben I, et al. Predicting non-sentinel lymph node status after positive sentinel biopsy in breast cancer: what model performs the best in a Czech population? Pathol Oncol Res. 2009;15:733–40. CrossRef
- Kohrt HE, Olshen RA, Bermas HR, Goodson WH, Wood DJ, Henry S, et al. New models and online calculator for predicting non-sentinel lymph node status in sentinel lymph node positive breast cancer patients. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:66. CrossRef
- van Deurzen CH, de Boer M, Monninkhof EM, Bult P, van der Wall E, Tjan-Heijnen VC, et al. Non-sentinel lymph node metastases associated with isolated breast cancer cells in the sentinel node. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008;100:1574–80. CrossRef
- Weaver DL, Ashikaga T, Krag DN, Skelly JM, Anderson SJ, Harlow SP, et al. Effect of occult metastases on survival in node-negative breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:412–21. CrossRef
- de Boer M, van Deurzen CH, van Dijck JA, Borm GF, van Diest PJ, Adang EM, et al. Micrometastases or isolated tumor cells and the outcome of breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:653–63. CrossRef
- Giuliano AE, McCall L, Beitsch P, Whitworth PW, Blumencranz P, Leitch AM, et al. Locoregional recurrence after sentinel lymph node dissection with or without axillary dissection in patients with sentinel lymph node metastases: the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group Z0011 randomized trial. Ann Surg. 2010;252:426–33.
- Paradigm shift in axilla surgery for breast cancer patients treated with sentinel node biopsy
Volume 19, Issue 2 , pp 104-109
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Isolated tumor cells
- Sentinel lymph nodes
- Industry Sectors