Basal cell carcinoma of the nipple in male patients with gastric cancer recurrence: report of a case
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Although basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common dermatological malignancy arising from sun exposed skin, BCC of the nipple is extremely rare. To our knowledge only 34 cases have been reported. We report a 78-year-old man who was undergoing chemotherapy for liver metastasis of gastric cancer 1 year after surgery. The chief complaint was exudation and oozing from the nipple. A mass lesion was palpable and detected on mammography and enhanced computed tomography, and atypical cells were detected on cytological examination. Simple resection was performed because histopathological diagnosis of an intraoperative frozen section revealed BCC. Final pathological diagnosis was also BCC. The authors report this case and review the previous reports, and discuss the clinicopathologic characteristics and adequate treatment for this disease.
- Robinson HB. Rodent ulcer of the male breast. Trans Pathol Soc Lond. 1893;44:147–8.
- Wainwright JM. Carcinoma of the male breast. Arch Surg. 1927;14:836–59. CrossRef
- Congdon GH, Dockerty MB. Malignant lesions of the nipple exclusive of Paget’s disease. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1956;103:185–92.
- Farrow JH. Benign and malignant lesions of the nipple. Cancer. 1958;8:16–9.
- Wyatt AP. Basal cell carcinoma of the male breast. Proc Soc Med. 1965;58:509–10.
- Davis AB, Patchefsky AS. Basal cell carcinoma of the nipple. Cancer. 1977;40:1780–1. CrossRef
- Lupton GP, Goette K. Basal cell carcinoma of the nipple. Arch Dermatol. 1978;114:1845. CrossRef
- Rahbari H, Mehregan A. Basal cell epitheliomas in usual and unusual sites. J Cutan Pathol. 1979;6:425–31. CrossRef
- Robins P, Rabinovitz HS, Rigel D. Basal cell carcinomas on covered or unusual sites of the body. J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1981;7:803–6. CrossRef
- Sauven P, Roberts A. Basal cell carcinoma of the nipple. J R Soc Med. 1983;76:699–701.
- Bruce S, Tschen JA, Goldberg LH. Basal cell carcinoma of the nipple. J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1985;11:424–5. CrossRef
- Nirodi NS, Mudd DG. Basal cell carcinoma of the male nipple. J R Coll Surg Edinb. 1986;31:121–3.
- Shertz WT, Balogh K. Metastasizing basal cell carcinoma of the nipple. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1986;110:761–2.
- Cain RJ, Sau P, Benson PM. Basal cell carcinoma of the nipple. Report of two cases. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1990;22:207–10. CrossRef
- Jones R, Wayte DM, Mitchell E, Beer WE. Basal cell carcinoma of the breast-treatment with retinoids. Clin Exp Dermatol. 1991;16:448–50. CrossRef
- Benharroch D, Geffen DB, Peiser J, Rosenberg L. Basal cell carcinoma of the male nipple. Case report and review of the literature. J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1993;19:137–9. CrossRef
- Nunez M, Marques A, Heras ME, Miralles ES, Ledo A. Bilateral basal cell carcinoma of the breasts in a woman. J Dermatol. 1995;22:226–8.
- Sanchez-Carpintero I, Redondo P, Solano T. Basal cell carcinoma affecting the areola–nipple complex. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000;105:1573. CrossRef
- Cooper RA, Eilers DB. Mammographic findings in basal cell carcinoma of the male nipple. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2000;175:1065–6. CrossRef
- Weber PJ, Moody BR, Foster JA. Series spiral advancement flap: an alternative to the ellipse. Dermatol Surg. 2001;27:64–6. CrossRef
- Zhu YI, Ratner D. Basal cell carcinoma of the nipple: a case report and review of the literature. Dermatol Surg. 2001;27:971–4. CrossRef
- Yamamoto H, Ito Y, Hayashi T, Urano N, Kato T, Kimura Y, et al. A case of basal cell carcinoma of the nipple and areola with intraductal spread. Breast Cancer. 2001;8:229–33. CrossRef
- Betti R, Martino P, Moneghini L, Vergani R, Tolomio E, Crosti C. Basal cell carcinomas of the areola–nipple complex: case reports and review of the literature. J Dermatol. 2003;30:822–6.
- Gupta C, Sheth D, Snower DP. Primary basal cell carcinoma of the nipple. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2004;28:792–3.
- Huang CW, Pan CK, Shih TF, Tsai CC, Juan CC, Ker CG. Basal cell carcinoma of the nipple–areola complex: a case report. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2005;21:480–3. CrossRef
- Rosen N, Muhn CY, Bernstein SC. A common tumor, an uncommon location: basal cell carcinoma of the nipple and areola in a 49-year-old woman. Dermatol Surg. 2005;31:480–3. CrossRef
- Nouri K, Ballard CJ, Bouzari N, Saghari S. Basal cell carcinoma of the areola in a man. J Drugs Dermatol. 2005;4:352–4.
- Chu PY, Teng TH, Lee CC. Primary superficial basal cell carcinoma of the nipple. Ann Saudi Med. 2007;27:296–7. CrossRef
- Avci O, Pabuççuoğlu U, Koçdor MA, Unlü M, Akin C, Soyal C, et al. Basal cell carcinoma of the nipple—an unusual location in a male patient. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2008;6:130–2. CrossRef
- Weedon D. Skin pathology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2002. p. 765–72.
- Rosai J. Rosai and Ackerman’s surgical pathology. 9th ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 2004. p. 132–3, p. 136–9.
- Elder DE, Elenitsas R, Johnson BL Jr, Murphy GF, Xu X. Lever’s histopathology of the skin. 10th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008. p. 823–35.
- Mckee PH, Calonje E, Granter SR. Pathology of the skin; with clinical correlations. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Elsevier/Mosby; 2005. p. 1167–84.
- Basal cell carcinoma of the nipple in male patients with gastric cancer recurrence: report of a case
Volume 21, Issue 1 , pp 102-107
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Basal cell carcinoma
- Gastric cancer
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Shinbeppu Hospital, Beppu, Japan
- 3. Department of Surgery II, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, 1-1 Idaigaoka, Hasama-machi, Yufu, Oita, 879-5593, Japan
- 2. Department of Pathology, Shinbeppu Hospital, Beppu, Japan