Indeterminate calcification and clustered cystic lesions are strongly predictive of the presence of mucocele-like tumor of the breast: a report of six cases
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mucocele-like tumor (MLT) of the breast is a mucinous disorder that is generally difficult to distinguish from mucinous carcinoma. Moreover, MLT is often accompanied by atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) or ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), and preoperative diagnosis is very confusing. In this paper, we summarize the clinicopathological characteristics of six cases of MLTs, comparing them with mucinous carcinoma. MLTs were characterized by clustered, coarse calcification on mammography and clustered, hypoechoic lesions with or without echogenic spots on ultrasonography. On fine-needle aspiration cytology (FNAC), three cases were correctly diagnosed and three cases were judged to be indeterminate, or insufficient material was present. Ultimately, excisional biopsies were performed to obtain a correct diagnosis in all cases. Immunohistochemical staining of MLTs accompanied by ADH or DCIS (malignant MLTs) revealed the presence of MUC6, while MLTs without ADH or DCIS (benign MLTs) were MUC6-negative. At present, as it is difficult to detect small areas of DCIS adjacent to the MLT by FNAC, excisional biopsy is essential. Immunohistochemical staining for MUC6 may be useful in differentiating between benign MLTs and malignant MLTs, although further investigation is needed.
- Rosen PP. Mucocele-like tumors of the breast. Am J Surg Pathol. 1986;10:464–9. CrossRef
- Ro JY, Sneige N, Sahin AA, Silva EG, del Junco GW, Ayala AG. Mucocele-like tumor of the breast associated with atypical ductal hyperplasia or mucinous carcinoma. A clinicopathologic study of seven cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1991;115:137–40.
- Fisher CJ, Millis RR. A mucocele-like tumour of the breast associated with both atypical ductal hyperplasia and mucoid carcinoma. Histopathology. 1992;21:69–71.
- Hamele-Bena D, Cranor ML, Rosen PP. Mammary mucocele-like lesions. Benign and malignant. Am J Surg Pathol. 1996;20:1081–5. CrossRef
- Glazebrook K, Reynolds C. Mucocele-like tumors of the breast: mammographic and sonographic appearances. Am J Roentgenol. 2003;180:949–54.
- Farshid G, Pieterse S, King JM, Robinson J. Mucocele-like lesions of the breast: a benign cause for indeterminate or suspicious mammographic microcalcifications. Breast J. 2005;11:15–22. CrossRef
- Hirokaga K, Namba K, Watanabe R, Furusawa H, Shirozu M, Matsu T, et al. Imaging diagnosis of mucocele-like tumor of the breast. Jpn J Breast Cancer. 2003;18:235–9.
- Kim JY, Ham BK, Choe YH, Ko YH. Benign and malignant mucocele-like tumors of the breast: mammographic and sonographic appearances. Am J Roentgenol. 2005;185:1310–6. CrossRef
- Kim Y, Takatsuka Y, Morino H. Mucocele-like tumor of the breast: a case report and assessment of aspirated cytological specimens. Breast Cancer. 1998;5:317–20. CrossRef
- Wong NL, Wan SK. Comparative cytology of mucocele-like lesion and mucinous carcinoma of the breast in fine needle aspiration. Acta Cytol. 2000;44:765–70.
- Yeoh GP, Cheung PS, Chan KW. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of mucocele-like tumors of the breast. Am J Surg Pathol. 1999;23:552–9. CrossRef
- Sohn JH, Kim LS, Chae SW, Shin HS. Fine needle aspiration cytologic findings of breast mucinous neoplasms: differential diagnosis between mucocele-like tumor and mucinous carcinoma. Acta Cytol. 2001;45:723–9.
- Cheng L, Lee WY, Chang TW. Benign mucocele-like lesion of the breast: how to differentiate from mucinous carcinoma before surgery. Cytopathology. 2004;15:104–8. CrossRef
- Carder PJ, Murphy CE, Liston JC. Surgical excision is warranted following a core biopsy diagnosis of mucocele-like lesion of the breast. Histopathology. 2004;45:148–54. CrossRef
- Kato M, Oda K, Kubota T. Mucocele-Like tumor of the breast caused by ductal carcinoma in situ: a Case report. Breast Cancer. 2003;10:157–62. CrossRef
- Matsukita S, Nomoto M, Kitajima S, Tanaka S, Goto M, Irimura T, et al. Expression of mucins (MUC1, MUC2, MUC5AC and MUC6) in mucinous carcinoma of the breast: comparison with invasive ductal carcinoma. Histopathology. 2003;42:26–36. CrossRef
- Pereira MB, Dias AJ, Reis CA, Schmitt FC. Immunohistochemical study of the expression of MUC5AC and MUC6 in breast carcinomas and adjacent breast tissues. J Clin Pathol. 2001;54:210–3. CrossRef
- Weaver MG, Abdul-Karim FW, Al-Kaisi N. Mucinous lesions of the breast. A pathological continuum. Pathol Res Pract. 1993;189:873–6.
- Indeterminate calcification and clustered cystic lesions are strongly predictive of the presence of mucocele-like tumor of the breast: a report of six cases
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 77-82
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Mucocele-like tumor
- Mucinous carcinoma
- Breast cancer
- Immunohistochemical staining
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Osaka Prefectural Hospital Organization, 1-3-3 Nakamichi, Higashinari, Osaka, 537-8511, Japan
- 2. Department of Cytology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Osaka Prefectural Hospital Organization, 1-3-3 Nakamichi, Higashinari, Osaka, 537-8511, Japan
- 3. Department of Pathology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Osaka Prefectural Hospital Organization, 1-3-3 Nakamichi, Higashinari, Osaka, 537-8511, Japan