Primary small cell carcinoma of the breast
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Primary small cell carcinoma of the breast is a very rare disease, and only a few case reports have described small cell carcinoma of the breast that responds to chemotherapy. Here, we report a case of primary small cell carcinoma of the breast that was treated with surgery and chemotherapy for postoperative local recurrence in the chest wall and metastasis to the liver. The metastatic lesions showed a partial response (PR) to carboplatin and irinotecan, but did not respond to subsequent Taxotere and doxifluridine (5′-DFUR) treatment. We then treated the metastatic lesions with CBDCA and etoposide (VP-16), and were able to stop disease progression. Small cell carcinoma of the breast is as aggressive as its pulmonary counterpart. Therefore, the best therapy for primary small cell carcinoma of the breast may be surgery followed by adjuvant therapy similar to that recommended for small cell lung carcinoma.
- Adegbola T, Connolly CE, Mortimer G. Small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast: a report of three cases and review of the literature. J Clin Pathol. 2005;58:775–8. CrossRef
- Bigotti G, Coli A, Butti A, del Vecchio M, Tartaglione R, Massi G. Primary small cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the breast. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2004;23:691–6.
- Francois A, Chatikhine VA, Chevallier B, Ren GS, Berry M, Chevrier A, Delpech B. Neuroendocrine primary small cell carcinoma of the breast. Report of a case and review of the literature. Am J Clin Oncol. 1995;18:133–8. CrossRef
- Fukunaga M, Ushigome S. Small cell (oat cell) carcinoma of the breast. Pathol Int. 1998;48:744–8. CrossRef
- Hoang MP, Maitra A, Gazdar AF, Albores-Saavedra J. Primary mammary small-cell carcinoma: a molecular analysis of 2 cases. Hum Pathol. 2001;32:753–7. CrossRef
- Jundt G, Schulz A, Heitz PU, Osborn M. Small cell neuroendocrine (oat cell) carcinoma of the male breast. Immunocytochemical and ultrastructural investigations. Virchows Arch A Pathol Anat Histopathol. 1984;404:213–21. CrossRef
- Mariscal A, Balliu E, Diaz R, Casas JD, Gallart AM. Primary oat cell carcinoma of the breast: imaging features. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004;183:1169–71.
- Papotti M, Gherardi G, Eusebi V, Pagani A, Bussolati G. Primary oat cell (neuroendocrine) carcinoma of the breast. Report of four cases. Virchows Arch A Pathol Anat Histopathol. 1992;420:103–8. CrossRef
- Samli B, Celik S, Evrensel T, Orhan B, Tasdelen I. Primary neuroendocrine small cell carcinoma of the breast. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000;124:296–8.
- Sebenik M, Nair SG, Hamati HF. Primary small cell anaplastic carcinoma of the breast diagnosed by fine needle aspiration cytology: a case report. Acta Cytol. 1998;42:1199–203.
- Shin SJ, DeLellis RA, Ying L, Rosen PP. Small cell carcinoma of the breast: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of nine patients. Am J Surg Pathol. 2000;24:1231–38. CrossRef
- Sridhar P, Matey P, Aluwihare N. Primary carcinoma of breast with small-cell differentiation. Breast. 2004;13:149–51. CrossRef
- Stein ME, Gershuny A, Abdach L, Quigley MM. Primary small-cell carcinoma of the breast. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2005;17:201–2.
- Wade PM Jr, Mills SE, Read M, Cloud W, Lambert MJ 3rd, Smith RE. Small cell neuroendocrine (oat cell) carcinoma of the breast. Cancer. 1983;52:121–5. CrossRef
- Yamasaki T, Shimazaki H, Aida S, Tamai S, Tamaki K, Hiraide H, Mochizuki H, Matsubara O. Primary small cell (oat cell) carcinoma of the breast: report of a case and review of the literature. Pathol Int. 2000;50:914–8. CrossRef
- Fitzgibbons PL, Page DL, Weaver D, Thor AD, Allred DC, Clark GM, Ruby SG, O’Malley F, Simpson JF, Connolly JL, et al. Prognostic factors in breast cancer. College of American pathologists consensus statement 1999. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000;124:966–78.
- Remick SC, Hafez GR,Carbone PP. Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma: a review of the literature with emphasis on therapy and outcome. Medicine. 1987;66:457–71. CrossRef
- Remick SC, Ruckdeschel JC. Extrapulmonary and pulmonary small cell carcinoma: tumor biology, therapy, and outcome. Med Pediatr Oncol. 1992;20:89–99. CrossRef
- Irfan C, Hakan K, Sernaz U, Kazim U, Ufuk U, Zafer K, Murat C, Mert S, Fusun T, Cem U. Extrapulmonary small-cell carcinoma compared with small-cell lung carcinoma. Am Cancer Soc. 2007;110:1068–76.
- Brenner B, Tang LH, Klimstra DS. Small-cell carcinoma of the gastrointestinal tract: a review. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22:2730–9. CrossRef
- Galanis E, Frytak S, Lloyd RV. Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma. Cancer. 1997;79:1729–36. CrossRef
- Kim JH, Lee SH, Park J, et al. Extrapulmonary small-cell carcinoma: a single-institution experience. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2004;34:250–4. CrossRef
- Haider K, Shahid RK, Finch D, et al. Extrapulmonary small cell cancer: a Canadian province’s experience. Cancer. 2006;107:2262–9. CrossRef
- Sengoz M, Abacioglu U, Salepci T, et al. Extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma: multimodality treatment results. Tumori. 2003;89:274–7.
- Kurt E, Sezgin C, Evrensel T, et al. Therapy, outcome and analysis of c-kit expression in patients with extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma. Int J Clin Pract. 2005;59:537–43. CrossRef
- Van Der Gaast A, Verwey J, Prins E, et al. Chemotherapy as treatment of choice in extrapulmonary undifferentiated small cell carcinomas. Cancer. 1990;65:422–44. CrossRef
- Hidekazu K, Kazuo Y, Hiroshi M, Yutaka T. A case of primary small cell carcinoma of the breast. Breast Cancer. 2007;14:414–9. CrossRef
- Wenyong Z, Syed AH. Mammary small-cell carcinoma with dimorphic phenotype. The Breast J. 2007;13:529–30. CrossRef
- Shaco-Levy R, Dyomin V, Kachko L, Sion-Vardy N, Geffen DB, Koretz M. Small-cell carcinoma of the breast: case report. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2007;28:142–4.
- Primary small cell carcinoma of the breast
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 68-71
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Small cell carcinoma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Breast Surgery Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, 5-1-1 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-0045, Japan
- 2. Pathology Division, National Hospital Organization Tokyo Medical Center, 2-5-1 Higashigaoka, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, 152-8902, Japan
- 3. Surgery Division, National Hospital Organization Tokyo Medical Center, 2-5-1 Higashigaoka, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, 152-8902, Japan