Optimizing Amphotericin B Therapy for Cryptococcal Meningitis
- Michael E. Klepser
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Hamill RJ, Sobel JD, El-Sadr W, Johnson PC, Graybill JR, Javaly K, Barker DE, and AmBisome Cryptococcal Meningitis Study Group: Comparison of 2 doses of liposomal amphotericin b and conventional amphotericin b deoxycholate for treatment of AIDS-associated acute cryptococcal meningitis: a randomized, double-blind clinical trial of efficacy and safety.Clin Infect Dis 2010, 51:225–232.
Rating: •Of importance.
Introduction: Although the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) has decreased the incidence of cryptococcal meningitis associated with AIDS in many countries, it is still common, especially among populations with limited access to medical care . Using a regimen of amphotericin B deoxycholate (0.7–1.0 mg/kg per day), with or without flucytosine, mortality rates associated with the treatment of cryptococcal meningitis have been reported to be 5% to 11% and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) sterilization rates were reported to be 60% to 75% [2, 3].
- Mirza SA, Phelan M, Rimland D, et al. The changing epidemiology of cryptococcosis: an update from population-based active surveillance in 2 large metropolitan areas, 1992–2000. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36:789–94. CrossRef
- Perfect JR, Dismukes WE, Dromer F, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the management of cryptococcal disease: 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:291–322. CrossRef
- van der Horst CM, Saag MS, Cloud GA, et al. Treatment of cryptococcal meningitis associated with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Mycoses Study Group and AIDS Clinical Trials Group. N Engl J Med. 1997;337:15–21. CrossRef
- Klepser ME, Wolfe EJ, Pfaller MA. Antifungal pharmacodynamic characteristics of fluconazole and amphotericin B against Cryptococcus neoformans. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1998;41:397–401. CrossRef
- Optimizing Amphotericin B Therapy for Cryptococcal Meningitis
Current Fungal Infection Reports
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 57-58
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Ferris State University College of Pharmacy, 1000 Oliver Street, Kalamazoo, MI, 49008, USA