Fluconazole Therapy for Cryptococcal Meningitis: Are Options Available Where It Is Needed Most—Africa?
- Tom M. Chiller
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nussbaum JC, Jackson A, Namarika D, et al.: Combination flucytosine and high-dose fluconazole compared with fluconazole monotherapy for the treatment of cryptococcal meningitis: a randomized trial in Malawi.Clin Infect Dis 2010, 50:345–346.
• Of importance
Cryptococcal meningitis has been reported as the most common cause of meningitis in many areas of sub-Saharan Africa where there is a high prevalence of HIV infection. Cryptococcosis is associated with up to 500,000 deaths per year in sub-Saharan Africa . Though access to antiretroviral therapy (ART) is increasing, because of the limited availability of recommended treatment for cryptococcal meningitis, it continues to be responsible for 10% to 20% of all HIV-related deaths in Africa. Although the combination of amphotericin B and flucytosine is recommended for induction-phase treatment, availability is severely limited in many settings, whereas fluconazole has been widely available through a philanthropic program ...
- Park, BJ, Wannemuehler, KA, Marston, BA (2009) Estimation of the current global burden of cryptococcal meningitis among persons living with HIV/AIDS. AIDS 23: pp. 525-530 CrossRef
- Lawn, SD, Harries, AD, Anglaret, X (2008) Early mortality among adults accessing antiretroviral treatment programmes in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 22: pp. 1897-1908 CrossRef
- Bicanic, T, Meintjes, G, Wood, R (2007) Fungal burden, early fungicidal activity, and outcome in cryptococcal meningitis in antiretroviral-naive or antiretroviral-experienced patients treated with amphotericin B or fluconazole. Clin Infect Dis 45: pp. 76-80 CrossRef
- Chang LW, Phipps WT, Kennedy GE, Rutherford GW: Antifungal interventions for the primary prevention of cryptococcal disease in adults with HIV. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005, (3):CD004773.
- Apisarnthanarak, A, Mundy, LM (2008) The impact of primary prophylaxis for cryptococcosis on fluconazole resistance in Candida species. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 47: pp. 644-645
- Fluconazole Therapy for Cryptococcal Meningitis: Are Options Available Where It Is Needed Most—Africa?
Current Fungal Infection Reports
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 197-199
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Current Science Inc.
- Additional Links
- Tom M. Chiller (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA, 30329, USA