A multi-physical simulation on the IAQ in a movie theatre equipped by different ventilating systems
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The paper deals with a numerical multi-physical investigation on performance assured by different ventilating systems in supplying air quality and comfort conditions in a movie theatre hall. Mixing air distribution, under floor displacement and personalized air distribution systems are outlined in a given geometry. Momentum, energy and mass conservation equations are solved in order to highlight velocity fields, temperature distributions and carbon dioxide levels in each condition. Effectiveness of ventilation and mean age of air supplied to spectators are also computed giving further evaluation parameters in order to strike a balance between strong and weak points characterizing the studied systems.
- Abanto J, Rarrero D, Reggio M, Ozell B (2004). Airflow modelling in a computer room. Building and Environment, 39: 1393–1402. CrossRef
- Alamari F, Butler DJG, Grigg PF, Shaw MR (1998). Chilled ceilings and displacement ventilation. Renewable Energy, 15: 300–305. CrossRef
- Awbi HB (2003). Ventilation of Buildings. London: Spon Press.
- ANSI/ASHRAE (2004a). Standard 55-2204. Thermal Environmental Conditions for Human Occupancy. Atlanta: American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc.
- ANSI/ASHRAE (2004b). Standard 62.1-2004. Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality. Atlanta: American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc.
- Arens E, Xu T, Miura K, Zhang H, Fountain M, Bauman F (1998). A study of occupant cooling by personally controlled air movement. Energy and Buildings, 27: 45–49. CrossRef
- Bauman F (2003). Underfloor Air Distribution (UFAD) Design Guide. American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers Research Project RP-1064. Atlanta.
- Cardiff M, Kitanidis PK (2008). Efficient solution of nonlinear, underdetermined inverse problems with a generalized PDE model. Computers & Geosciences, 34: 1480–1491. CrossRef
- Cheong KWD, Lau HYT (2003). Development and application of an indoor air quality audit to an air-conditioned tertiary institutional building in the tropics. Building and Environment, 38: 605–616. CrossRef
- Cheong KWD, Djunaedy E, Chua YL, Tham KW, Sekhar SC, Wong NH, Ullah NB (2003). Thermal comfort study of an air-conditioned lecture theatre in tropics. Building and Environment, 38: 63–73. CrossRef
- Comini G, Savino S (2009). Accuracy of one-dimensional design procedures for finned-tube heat exchangers. Applied Thermal Energy, 29: 2863–2869. CrossRef
- Daisey JM, Angell WJ, Apte MG (2003). Indoor air quality, ventilation and health symptoms in schools: An analysis of existing information. Indoor Air, 13: 53–64. CrossRef
- Demetriou DW, Khalifa HE (2009). Evaluation of distributed environmental control systems for improving IAQ and reducing energy consumption in office buildings. Building Simulation, 2: 197–214. CrossRef
- Deuflhard P (1974). A modified Newton method for the solution of ill-conditioned systems of nonlinear equations with application to multiple shooting. Numerical Mathematics, 22: 289–315. CrossRef
- Fanger PO (1988). Introduction of the olf and the decipol units to quantify air pollution perceived by humans indoors and outdoors. Energy and Buildings, 12: 1–6. CrossRef
- Fanger PO, Melikov A, Hanzawa H, Ring J (1988). Air turbulence and sensation of draught. Energy and Buildings, 12: 21–39. CrossRef
- Fanger PO (1970). Thermal Comfort. Copenhagen: Danish Technical Press.
- Faulkner D, Fisk WJ, Sullivan DP, Lee SM (2004). Ventilation efficiencies and thermal comfort results of a desk-edge-mounted task ventilation system. Indoor Air, 14: 92–97. CrossRef
- Fleming WS (1986). Indoor air quality, infiltration, and ventilation in residential buildings. In: Proceedings of ASHRAE Conference IAQ’86: Managing Indoor Air for Health and Energy Conservation (pp. 192–207), Atlanta, USA.
- Fredriksson J, Sandberg M, Moshfegh B (2001). Experimental investigation of the velocity field and airflow pattern generated by cooling ceiling beams. Building and Environment, 36: 891–899. CrossRef
- Fries DM, von Rohr R (2009). Liquid mixing in gas-liquid two-phase flow by meandering microchannels. Chemical Engineering Science, 64: 1326–1335. CrossRef
- Henriques T, Cesar B, Costa Branco PJ (2010). Increasing the efficiency of a portable PEM fuel cell by altering the cathode channel geometry: A numerical and experimental study. Applied Energy, 87: 1400–1409. CrossRef
- Hindmarsh AC, Brown PN, Grant KE, Lee SL, Serban R, Shumaker DE, Woodward CS (2005). SUNDIALS: Suite of nonlinear and differential/algebraic equation solvers. ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, 31: 363–396. CrossRef
- Ignat L, Pelletier D, Ilinca F (2000). A universal formulation of two-equation models for adaptive computation of turbulent flows. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 189: 1119–1139. CrossRef
- ISO (1994). Standard 7730. Moderate thermal environments—Determination of the PMV and PPD indices and specification of the conditions for thermal comfort. Geneva: International Organization for Standardization.
- Kavgic M, Mumovic D, Stevanovic Z, Young A (2008). Analysis of thermal comfort and indoor air quality in a mechanically ventilated theatre. Energy and Buildings, 40: 1334–1343. CrossRef
- Kosar A (2010). Effect of substrate thickness and material on heat transfer in microchannel heat sinks. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 49: 635–642. CrossRef
- Launder BE, Spalding DB (1974). The numerical computation of turbulent flows. Computer methods in applied mechanics and engineering. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 3: 269–289. CrossRef
- Lawrence TM, Braun JE (2007). methodology for estimating occupant CO2 source generation rates from measurements in small commercial buildings. Building and Environment, 42: 623–639. CrossRef
- Lin Y, Zmeureanu R (2008). Three-dimensional thermal and airflow (3D-TAF) model of a dome-covered house in Canada. Renewable Energy, 33: 22–34. CrossRef
- Lorenzini G, Casalena E (2008). CFD analysis of pulsatile blood flow in an atherosclerotic human artery with eccentric plaques. Journal of Biomechanics, 41: 1862–1870. CrossRef
- Marra D (2008). Gas distribution inside an MCFC. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 33: 3173–3177. CrossRef
- Niu J, Gao N, Phoebe M, Huigang Z (2007). Experimental study on a chair-based personalized ventilation system. Building and Environment, 42: 913–925. CrossRef
- Noh KC, Jang JS, Oh MD (2007). Thermal comfort and indoor air quality in the lecture room with 4-way cassette air-conditioner and mixing ventilation system. Building and Environment, 42: 689–698. CrossRef
- Papakonstantinou KA, Kiranoudis CT, Markatos NC (2002). Numerical simulation of CO2 dispersion in an auditorium. Energy and Buildings, 34: 245–250. CrossRef
- Pepper DW, Wang X (2009). Benchmarking COMSOL 3.5a — CFD problems. In: Proceedings of COMSOL Conference 2009, Boston, USA.
- Persily A (1997), Evaluating building IAQ and ventilation with indoor carbon dioxide. ASHRAE Transactions, 103(2): 193–204.
- Petrone G, Cammarata L, Cammarata G (2009). Bio-effluents tracing in ventilated aircraft cabins. In: Proceedings of COMSOL Conference 2009, Milan, Italy.
- Sherwood L (2006). Fundamentals of Physiology: A Human Perspective. Belmont: Thomson Brooks/Cole.
- Shi Z, Wang X (2008). A numerical study of flow crossover between adjacent flow channels in a proton exchange membrane fuel cell with serpentine flow field. Journal of Power Sources, 185: 985–992. CrossRef
- Sun N, Wood NB, Hughies AD, Thom SA, Xu XY (2006). Fluid-wall modelling of mass transfer in an axisymmetric stenosis: Effects of shear-dependent transport properties. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 34: 1119–1128. CrossRef
- Tortora GJ, Anagnostakos NP (1990). Principles of Anatomy and Physiology. New York: Harper-Collins.
- van Schijndel AWM (2009). Integrated modeling of dynamic heat, air and moisture processes in buildings and systems using SimuLink and COMSOL. Building Simulation, 2: 143–155. CrossRef
- Wissmeier L, Barry DA (2011). Simulation tool for variably saturated flow with comprehensive geochemical reactions in two- and three-dimensional domains. Environmental Modelling & Software, 26: 210–218. CrossRef
- Wu A, Liu J, Yin S, Wang H (2010). Analysis of coupled flow-reaction with heat transfer in heap bioleaching processes. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 31: 1473–1480. CrossRef
- Xu Q, Leong FY, Wang CH (2009). Transport and deposition of inertial aerosols in bifurcated tubes under oscillatory flow. Chemical Engineering Science, 64: 830–846. CrossRef
- Zhang L, Chow TT, Fog KF, Tsang CF, Qiuwang W (2005). Comparison of performances of displacement and mixing ventilations. Part II: indoor air quality. International Journal of Refrigeration, 28: 288–305. CrossRef
- Zhang T, Chen QY (2007). Novel air distribution systems for commercial aircraft cabins. Buildings and Environment, 42: 1675–1684. CrossRef
- Zhang ZL, Wachenfeldt BJ (2009). Numerical study on the heat storing capacity of concrete walls with air cavities. Energy and Buildings, 41: 769–773. CrossRef
- A multi-physical simulation on the IAQ in a movie theatre equipped by different ventilating systems
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 21-31
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Tsinghua Press
- Additional Links
- mixing air distribution
- personalized air distribution
- under floor displacement