Model validation of a dynamic embedded water base surface heat emitting system for buildings
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A numerical model is developed to assess the static and dynamic operations of a new kind of floor heat emitter. Surface floor heating systems are widely used to achieve better comfort conditions in residential and tertiary building sector. Classical floor heating systems have a low thermal response while the emitting device studied in this paper is highly reactive. It allows comfort enhancement and energy savings. A finite element method based software COMSOL Multiphysics is applied to solve the heat equation. This work focuses on the thermal behaviour of the emitter itself, but does not include a building model. A test bench has been built for this application to verify the numerical model. Both computational and experimental results demonstrate the benefits of this new heating and cooling device.
- CEN (2005). 15377-1 (draft) — Heating systems in buildings — Design of embedded water based surface heating and cooling systems — Part 1: Determination of the design heating and cooling capacity. European Committee for Standardization, CEN, Europe.
- COMSOL (2010). COMSOL Multiphysics 4.0a Multiphysics Modeling and Engineering Simulation Software. Licensed to University of Liège, COMSOL AB, Stockholm, Sweden.
- EPCOS (2009). NTC thermistors for temperature measurement. Series B57703M. Available online at: http://www.epcos.com/inf/50/db/ntc_09/ProbeAss_B57703_M703.pdf. Accessed 20 Dec. 2010.
- Fonseca Diaz N, Lebrun J, André P (2010). Experimental study and modeling of cooling ceiling systems using steady-state analysis. International Journal of Refrigeration, 33: 793–805. CrossRef
- Franck P-Y (2010). How does the OPAL-Systems solution function? Available online at: http://www.opal-systems.be/concept-40000-4.html. Accessed 23 Nov. 2010.
- Karlsson H (2010). Embedded Water-based Surface Heating Part 1: Hybrid 3D numerical Model. Journal of Building Physics, 33: 357–391. CrossRef
- Liébard A, De Herde A (2006). Traité d’architecture et d’urbanisme bioclimatiques. Editions du Moniteur. (in French)
- Measurement Specialities (2008). 10K3A1 Series 1 Thermistor. Available online at: http://www.meas-spec.com/assets/0/78/128/438/d8567bef-ab6b-40dc-9454-77924ea543b6.pdf. Accessed 20 Dec. 2010.
- Rohsenow WM, Hartnett JP (1973). Handbook of Heat Transfer. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Thomas S, Franck P-Y, André P (2009). Optimization of dynamic embedded, water based surface heat (and cold) emitting system for buildings. Paper presented at the COMSOL Conference 2009, Milan, Italy.
- Thür A (2010). Monitoring program of small-scale solar heating and cooling systems within IEA-SHC Task 38 — Procedure and first results. In: Proceedings of the ISES IEA-SHC Eurosun 2010 Conference, Graz, Austria.
- TRNSYS (2010). TRNSYS simulation studio, Version 17.00.0016. Licensed to University of Liège, Solar Energy Laboratory, Madison, USA.
- Model validation of a dynamic embedded water base surface heat emitting system for buildings
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 41-48
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Tsinghua Press
- Additional Links
- heated floor
- experimental validation
- COMSOL Multiphysics