Metabolism of dl-praeruptorin a in rat liver microsomes using HPLC-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
dl-Praeruptorin A (Pd-Ia) is the major active constituent of the traditional Chinese medicine Peucedanum praeruptorum Dunn. Recently it has been identified as a novel agent in the treatment and prevention of cardiovascular diseases. Accordingly, we investigated the metabolism of Pd-Ia in rat liver microsomes. The involvement of cytochrome P450 (CYP) and CYP isoforms were identified using a CYP-specific inhibitor (SKF-525A), CYP-selective inhibitors (α-naphthoflavone, metyrapone, fluvastatin, quinidine, disulfiram, ketoconazole and ticlopidine) and CYP-selective inducers (phenobarbital, dexamethasone and β-naphthoflavone). Residual concentrations of the substrate and metabolites were determined by HPLC, and further identified by their mass spectra and chromatographic behavior. These experiments showed that CYP450 is involved in Pd-Ia metabolism, and that the major CYP isoform responsible is CYP3A1/2, which acts in a concentration-dependent manner. Four Pd-Ia metabolites (M1, M2, M3, and M4) were detected after incubation with rat liver microsomes. Hydroxylation was the primary metabolic pathway of Pd-Ia, and possible chemical structures of the metabolites were identified. Further research is now needed to link the metabolism of Pd-Ia to its drug-drug interactions.
- Born, S. L., Caudill, D., Fliter, K. L., and Purdon, M. P., Identification of the cytochromes P450 that catalyze coumarin 3,4-epoxidation and 3-hydroxylation. Drug Metab. Dispos., 30, 483–487 (2002). CrossRef
- Brady, J. F., Xiao, F., Wang, M. H., Li, Y., Ning, S. M., Gapac, J. M., and Yang, C. S., Effects of disulfiram on hepatic P450 IIE1, other microsomal enzymes and hepatotoxicity in rats. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol., 108, 366–373 (1991). CrossRef
- Chang, H., Chu, X. Y., Zou, J., and Chang, T. H., Effects of peucedanum praeruptorum dunn, a traditional Chinese medicine on acute myocardial infarction in open chest anesthetized cats. J. China Med. Univ., 29, 84–87 (2000).
- Chang, T. H., Liu, X. Y., Zhang, X. H., and Wang, H. L., Effects of dl-praeruptorin A on interleukin-6 level and Fas, bax, bcl-2 protein expression in ischemia-reperfusion myocardium. Acta Pharmacol. Sin., 23, 769–774 (2002).
- Chung, H. J., Choi, Y. H., Kim, S. H., and Lee, M. G., Effects of enzyme inducers and inhibitors on the pharmacokinetics of intravenous ipriflavone in rats. J. Pharm. Pharmacol., 58, 449–457 (2006). CrossRef
- Chung, Y. B., Bae, W. T., and Han, K., Metabolism of an anionic fluorescent dye, 1-anilino-8-naphthalene sulfonate (ANS) by rat liver microsomes. Arch. Pharm. Res., 21, 677–682 (1998). CrossRef
- Dresser, G. K., Spence, J. D., and Bailey, D. G., Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic consequences and clinical relevance of cytochrome P450 3A4 inhibition. Clin. Pharmacokinet., 38, 41–57 (2000). CrossRef
- Gibbs, M. A., Kunze, K. L., Howald, W. N., and Thummel, K. E., Effect of inhibitor depletion on inhibitory potency: tight binding inhibition of CYP3A by clotrimazole. Drug Metab. Dispos., 27, 596–599 (1999).
- Goshman, L., Fish, J., and Roller, K., Ritonavir, Clinically significant cytochrome P450 drug interactions. J. Pharm. Soc. Wis., 5, 23–28 (1999).
- Hsu, A., Granneman, G. R., and Bertz, R. J., Ritonavir. Clinical pharmacokinetics and interactions with other anti-HIV agents. Clin. Pharmacokinet., 35, 275–291 (1998). CrossRef
- Huong, D. T., Choi, H. C., Rho, T. C., Lee, H. S., Lee, M. K., and Kim, Y. H., Inhibitory activity of monoamine oxidase by coumarins from Peucedanum japonicum. Arch. Pharm. Res., 22, 324–326 (1999). CrossRef
- Kamataki, T. and Kitagawa, H., Effects of lyophilization and storage of rat liver microsomes on activity of aniline hydroxylase, contents of cytochrome b5 and cytochrome p-450 and aniline-induced p-450 difference spectrum. Jpn. J. Pharmacol., 24, 195–203 (1974). CrossRef
- Kozawa, T., Sakai, K., Uchida, M., Okuyama, T., and Shibata, S., Calcium antagonistic action of a coumarin isolated from “Qian-Hu”, a Chinese traditional medicine. J. Pharm. Pharmacol., 33, 317–320 (1981). CrossRef
- Krippendorff, B. F., Lienau, P., Reichel, A., and Huisinga, W., Optimizing classification of drug-drug interaction potential for CYP450 isoenzyme inhibition assays in early drug discovery. J. Biomol. Screen, 12, 92–99 (2007). CrossRef
- Krishnan, S. and Moncrief, S., An evaluation of the cytochrome p450 inhibition potential of lisdexamfetamine in human liver microsomes. Drug Metab. Dispos., 35, 180–184 (2007). CrossRef
- Lakshmi, V. M., Zenser, T. V., and Davis, B. B., Rat liver cytochrome P450 metabolism of N-acetylbenzidine and N, N′-diacetylbenzidine. Drug Metab. Dispos., 25, 481–488 (1997).
- Lewis, D. F., Ito, Y., and Lake, B. G., Metabolism of coumarin by human P450s: a molecular modelling study. Toxicol. In Vitro, 20, 256–264 (2006). CrossRef
- Lin, N., Chang, T. H., Xu, H. T., Du, Z. J., and Wang, X. F., Praeruptorin A upregulates expression of nestin in experimental autoimmune myocarditis of rats. Pharmacology and Clinics of Chinese Materia Medica, 23, 21–23 (2007).
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., and Randall, R. J., Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem., 193, 265–275 (1951).
- Lu, M., Nicoletti, M., Battinelli, L., and Mazzanti, G., Isolation of praeruptorins A and B from Peucedanum praeruptorum Dunn. and their general pharmacological evaluation in comparison with extracts of the drug. Farmaco, 56, 417–420 (2001). CrossRef
- Meyer, R. P., Gehlhaus, M., Schwab, R., Bürck, C., Knoth, R., and Hagemeyer, C. E., Concordant up-regulation of cytochrome P450 Cyp3a11, testosterone oxidation and androgen receptor expression in mouse brain after xenobiotic treatment. J. Neurochem., 109, 670–681 (2009). CrossRef
- Shimada, T., Yamazaki, H., Mimura, M., Inui, Y., and Guengerich, F. P., Interindividual variations in human liver cytochrome P-450 enzymes involved in the oxidation of drugs, carcinogens and toxic chemicals: studies with liver microsomes of 30 Japanese and 30 Caucasians. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 270, 414–423 (1994).
- Sun, S., Kong, L. Y., Zhang, H. Q., and He, S. A., Total asymmetric synthesis of 3′ R, 4′ R —disubstituted angular dihydropyranocoumarins. J. China Pharm. Univ., 36, 205–209 (2005).
- Testa, B. and Jenner, P., Inhibitors of cytochrome P-450s and their mechanism of action. Drug Metab. Rev., 12, 1–117 (1981). CrossRef
- Tolonen, A., Turpeinen, M., and Pelkonen, O., Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry in vitro drug metabolite screening. Drug Discov. Today, 14, 120–133 (2009). CrossRef
- Transon, C., Leemann, T., and Dayer, P., In vivo comparative inhibition profiles of major human drug metabolising cytochrome P450 isozymes (CYP2C9, CYP2D6 and CYP3A4) by HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors. Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol., 50, 209–215 (1996). CrossRef
- Tu, X., Miao, L., Kang, Y., Xia, H., Tu, J. W., Wang, Q., Tu, Q., Wang, J. M., and Hao, H., Effects of dI-praeruptorin A on cultured neonatal rat ventricular cardiomyocytes with hypertrophy induced by endothelin-1. Methods Find Exp. Clin. Pharmacol., 31, 231–236 (2009). CrossRef
- Walsky, R. L. and Obach, R. S., A comparison of 2-phenyl-2-(1-piperidinyl)propane (ppp), 1,1′,1″-phosphinothioylidynetrisaziridine (thio TEPA), clopidogrel, and ticlopidine as selective inactivators of human cytochrome P450 2B6. Drug Metab. Dispos., 35, 2053–2059 (2007). CrossRef
- Wright, M. C. and Paine, A. J., Induction of the cytochrome P450 3A subfamily in rat liver correlates with the binding of inducers to a microsomal protein. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 201, 973–979 (1994). CrossRef
- Xia, Z. L., Ying, J. Y., Sheng, R., Zeng, S., Hu, Y. Z., and Yao, T. W., In vitro metabolism of BYZX in human liver microsomes and the structural elucidation of metabolite by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry method. J. Chromatogr. B Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci., 857, 266–274 (2007). CrossRef
- Zhang, Z., Liu, Y. Y., Su, M. Q., Liang, X. F., Wang, W. F., and Zhu, X., Pharmacokinetics, tissue distribution and excretion study of dl-praeruptorin A of Peucedanum praeruptorum in rats by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. Phytomedicine, 18, 527–532 (2011). CrossRef
- Zhu, G. Y., Chen, G. Y., Li, Q. Y., Shen, X. L., and Fang, H. X., HPLC/ MS/ MS Method for chemical profiling of radix peucedani (Baihua Quanhu). Chin. J. Nat. Med., 9, 304–308 (2004).
- Zhuo, X., Gu, J., Zhang, Q. Y., Spink, D. C., Kaminsky, L. S., and Ding, X., Biotransformation of coumarin by rodent and human cytochromes P-450: metabolic basis of tissueselective toxicity in olfactory mucosa of rats and mice. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 288, 463–471 (1999).
- Metabolism of dl-praeruptorin a in rat liver microsomes using HPLC-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry
Archives of Pharmacal Research
Volume 34, Issue 8 , pp 1311-1321
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Pharmaceutical Society of Korea
- Additional Links
- dl-Praeruptorin A
- Cytochrome P450 isoforms
- Rat liver microsomes
- In vitro
- Industry Sectors