Anti-lipase and lipolytic activities of ursolic acid isolated from the roots of Actinidia arguta
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this study was to investigate the anti-obestic effects of ursolic acid isolated from the roots of Actinidia arguta, as well as the mechanism of action of this compound. This was conducted by testing whether ursolic acid inhibited the elevation of the rat plasma triacylglycerol levels after oral administration of a lipid emulsion containing corn oil in rats. Ursolic acid prevented the elevation of plasma triacylglycerol levels 2 h after oral administration of the lipid emulsion at a dose of 100 mg/kg. Furthermore, ursolic acid inhibited phosphodiesterase activity in vitro with an IC50 of 51.21 μM and enhanced lipolysis in rat fat cells. We suggest that the inhibitory effects of ursolic acid, isolated from the roots of A. arguta, on obesity, might be attributable to the inhibition of lipid absorption through the inhibition of pancreatic lipase and by enhancing lipolysis in fat cells.
- Drent, M. L., Larsson, I., William-Olsson, T., Quaade, F., Czubayko, F., Von Bergmann, K., Strobel, W., Sjostrom, L., and Van Der Veen, E. A., Orlistat (Ro 18-0647), a lipase inhibitor, in the treatment of human obesity: a multiple dose study. Int. J. Obes. Relat. Metab. Disord., 19, 221–226 (1995).
- Ferguson, R., Actubudua arguta — the hardy kiwifruit. New Zealand Kiwifruit, 81, 23–24 (1991).
- Gargouri, Y., Ransac, S., and Verger, R., Covalent inhibition of digestive lipases: an in vitro study. Biochim. Biophys. Acta., 1344, 6–37 (1997).
- Girotti, C., Ginet, M., Demarne, F. C., Lagarde, M., and Geloen, A., Lipolytic activity of cirsimarin extracted from Microtea debilis. Planta Med., 71, 1170–1172 (2005). CrossRef
- Hartz, A. J., Rupley, D. C., Jr., Kalkhoff, R. D., and Rimm, A. A., Relationship of obesity to diabetes: influence of obesity level and body fat distribution. Prev. Med., 12, 351–357 (1983). CrossRef
- Huang, M. T., Ho, C. T., Wang, Z. Y., Ferraro, T., Lou, Y. R., Stauber, K., Ma, W., Georgiadis, C., Laskin, J. D., and Conney, A. H., Inhibition of skin tumorigenesis by rosemary and its constituents carnosol and ursolic acid. Cancer Res., 54, 701–708 (1994).
- Jang, D. S., Lee, G. Y., Kim, J., Lee, Y. M., Kim, J. M., Kim, Y. S., and Kim, J. S., A new pancreatic lipase inhibitor isolated from the roots of Actinidia arguta. Arch. Pharm. Res., 31, 666–670 (2008). CrossRef
- Kim, J.-G. and Xiao, P.-G. Traditional Drugs of the East. Color Edition. Young-Rim Publishing Co., Seoul, pp. 207, (1995).
- Kopelman, P. G., Obesity as a medical problem. Nature, 404, 635–643 (2000).
- Larsson, B., Bjorntorp, P., and Tibblin, G., The health consequences of moderate obesity. Int. J. Obes., 5, 97–116 (1981).
- Lim, H. W., Kang, S. J., Park, M., Yoon, J. H., Han, B. H., Choi, S., E., and Lee, M. W., Anti-oxidative and nitric oxide production inhibitory activities of phenolic compounds from the fruits of Actinidia arguta. Nat. Prod. Sci., 12, 221–225 (2006).
- Lim, S. W., Hong, S. P., Jeong, S. W., Kim, B., Bak, H., Ryoo, H. C., Lee, S. H., and Ahn, S. K., Simultaneous effect of ursolic acid and oleanolic acid on epidermal permeability barrier function and epidermal keratinocyte differentiation via peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha. J. Dermatol., 34, 625–634 (2007). CrossRef
- Manez, S., Recio, M. C., Giner, R. M., and Rios, J. L., Effect of selected triterpenoids on chronic dermal inflammation. Eur. J. Pharmacol., 334, 103–105 (1997). CrossRef
- Min, S. W., Jung, S. H., Cho, K. H., and Kim, D. H., Antihyperlipidemic effects of red ginseng, Crataegii Fructus and their main constituents ginsenoside Rg3 and ursolic acid in mice. Biomol. Ther., 16, 364–369 (2008). CrossRef
- Najid, A., Simon, A., Cook, J., Chable-Rabinovitch, H., Delage, C., Chulia, A. J., and Rigaud, M., Characterization of ursolic acid as a lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase inhibitor using macrophages, platelets and differentiated HL60 leukemic cells. FEBS Lett., 299, 213–217 (1992). CrossRef
- Ohigashi, H., Takamura, H., Koshimizu, K., Tokuda, H., and Ito, Y., Search for possible antitumor promoters by inhibition of 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate-induced Epstein-Barr virus activation; ursolic acid and oleanolic acid from an anti-inflammatory Chinese medicinal plant, Glechoma hederaceae L. Cancer Lett., 30, 143–151 (1986). CrossRef
- Okuda, H., Tsujita, T., and Kinutani, M., Studies on a protein kinase inhibitor-insensitive, phospholipase C-sensitive pathway of lipolysis in rat adipocytes. Pharmacol. Res. Commun., 18, 877–893 (1986). CrossRef
- Robidoux, J., Kumar, N., Daniel, K. W., Moukdar, F., Cyr, M., Medvedev, A. V., and Collins, S., Maximal beta3-adrenergic regulation of lipolysis involves Src and epidermal growth factor receptor-dependent ERK1/2 activation. J. Biol. Chem., 281, 37794–37802 (2006). CrossRef
- Rodbell, M., Metabolism of isolated fat cells. I. Effects of hormones on glucose metabolism and lipolysis. J. Biol. Chem., 239, 375–380 (1964).
- Sharpe, P. A., Blanck, H. M., Williams, J. E., Ainsworth, B. E., and Conway, J. M., Use of complementary and alternative medicine for weight control in the United States. J. Altern. Complement. Med., 13, 217–222 (2007). CrossRef
- Steinberg, D. and Khoo, J. C., Hormone-sensitive lipase of adipose tissue. Fed. Proc., 36, 1986–1990 (1977).
- Tokuda, H., Ohigashi, H., Koshimizu, K., and Ito, Y., Inhibitory effects of ursolic and oleanolic acid on skin tumor promotion by 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate. Cancer Lett., 33, 279–285 (1986). CrossRef
- Webby, R. F. and Markham, K. R., Flavonol 3-O-triglycosides from Actinidia species. Phytochemistry, 29, 289–292 (1990). CrossRef
- Whang, J. I., Moon, H. I., and Zee, O. P., Phytochemical constituents of Actinidia arguta. Kor. J. Pharmacogn., 31, 357–363 (2000).
- Anti-lipase and lipolytic activities of ursolic acid isolated from the roots of Actinidia arguta
Archives of Pharmacal Research
Volume 32, Issue 7 , pp 983-987
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Pharmaceutical Society of Korea
- Additional Links
- Ursolic acid
- Pancreatic lipase
- Industry Sectors