Synergistic decrease in blood pressure by captopril combined with losartan in spontaneous hypertensive rats
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study was designed to examine the anti-hypertensive effect of the combination therapy of captopril with losartan by oral administration using both independent and cross-over experimental protocols. In independent experimental protocols, four different groups of spontaneous hypertensive rats (SHR) were treated for 1 or 2 weeks: control, captopril (20 mg/kg/day), losartan (20 mg/kg/day), and combination captopril (10 mg/kg/day) with losartan (10 mg/kg/day). In cross-over protocols, each SHR received all four treatments for 1 or 3 days with an interval of several days between each injection for washing-out and return to high blood pressure (BP) levels. BP and heart rate (HR) were measured in conscious telemetered SHR. According to the results from the independent protocol, regardless of a 1- or 2-week administration period, combination therapy with low doses of captopril and losartan had a greater anti-hypertensive effect than individual high-dose monotherapy. Similarly, results from the cross-over protocol showed that regardless of 1-day or 3-day administration, the decrease in BP in the 11th and 12th hour after administration was greatest with the combination of low-dose captopril and losartan. Therefore, combination therapy with low doses of captopril with losartan lowered BP to a greater extent than a high dose of either individual monotherapy.
- Armstrong, A. W., Myers, C. W., Yeh, D. C., and Rocco, T. P., Integrative cardiovascular pharmacology: Hypertension, ischemic heart disease, and congestive heart failure, In: Principles of Pharmacology: The pathologic basis of drug therapy. 1st ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Ch. 23 (2005).
- August, P., Initial treatment of hypertension. New Engl. J. Med., 348, 610–617 (2003). CrossRef
- Chobanian, A. V., Bakris, G. L., Black, H. R., Cushman, W. C., Green, L. A., Izzo, Jr. J. L., Jones, D. W., Materson, B. J., Oparil, S., Wright, J. T., and Roccella, E. J., The seventh report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure: The JNC 7 report. J. Am. Med. Assoc., 289, 2560–2571 (2003). CrossRef
- Demers, C., McMurray, J. J., Swedberg, K., Pfeffer, M. A., Granger, C. B., Olofsson, B., McKelvie, R. S., Ostergren, J., Michelson, E. L., Johansson, P. A., Wang, D., and Yusuf, S., CHARM Investigators. Impact of candesartan on nonfatal myocardial infarction and cardiovascular death in patients with heart failure. JAMA, 294, 1794–1798 (2005). CrossRef
- El-Mas, M. M. and Abdel-Rahman, A. A., Longitudinal studies on the effect of hypertension on circadian hemodynamic and autonomic rhythms in telemetered rats. Life Sci., 76, 901–915 (2005). CrossRef
- Ferrario, C. M., Chappell, M. C., Tallant, E. A., Brosnihan, K. B. and Diz, D. I., Counterregulatory actions of angiotensin-(1–7). Hypertension, 30, 535–541 (1997).
- Fossa, A. A., Weinberg, L. J., Barber, R. L., Rauch, A. L., Nocerini, M. R., Murphy, W. R., and Swindell, A. C., Synergistic effect on reduction in blood pressure with coadministration of the renin inhibitor, CP-80,794, and the angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor, captopril. J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol., 20, 75–82 (1992). CrossRef
- Fossa, A. A., DePasquale, M. J., Ringer, L. I., and Winslow, R. L., Synergistic effect on reduction in blood pressure with coadministration of a renin inhibitor or an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor with an angiotensin II receptor antagonist. Drug Dev. Res., 33, 422–428 (1994). CrossRef
- Husain, A., The chymase-angiotensin system in humans. J. Hypertens., 11, 1155–1159 (1993). CrossRef
- Ichiki, T., Labosky, P. A., Shiota, C., Okuyama, S., Imagawa, Y., Fogo, A., Niimura, F., Ichikawa, I., Hogan, B. L., and Inagami, T., Effects on blood pressure and exploratory behavior of mice lacking angiotensin II type-2 receptor. Nature, 377, 748–750 (1995). CrossRef
- Koh, K. K., Quan, M. J., Lee, Y., Han, S. H., Ahn, J. Y., Chung, W.-J., Kim, J., Shin, E. K., Additive beneficial cardiovascular and metabolic effects of combination therapy with ramipril and candesartan in hypertensive patients. Eur. Heart J., 28, 1440–1447 (2007). CrossRef
- Lemmer, B., The importance of circadian rhythms on drug response in hypertension and coronary heart disease-from mice and man. Pharmacol. Ther., 111, 629–651 (2006). CrossRef
- Lemmer, B., Arraj, M., Zuther, P., and Gorbey, S., Use of telemetry for research in cardiovascular chronobiology/chronopharmacology in rats and mice. European Chronobiology Telemetry User Group Meeting pp. Abstr 4 UK: Erl Wood Manor (2004).
- McMurray, J., Solomon, S., Pieper, K., Reed, S., Rouleau, J., Velazquez, E., White, H., Howlett, J., Swedberg, K., Maggioni, A., Kober, L., Van de Werf, F., Califf, R., and Pfeffer, M., The effect of valsartan, captopril, or both on atherosclerotic events after acute myocardial infarction: an analysis of the Valsartan in Acute Myocardial Infarction Trial (VALIANT). J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 47, 726–733 (2006). CrossRef
- McMurray, J. J., Young, J. B., Dunlap, M. E., Granger, C. B., Hainer, J., Michelson, E. L., Earle, S., Olofsson, B., Ostergren, J., Yusuf, S., Swedberg, K., and Pfeffer, M. A., CHARM Investigators. Relationship of dose of background angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor to the benefits of candesartan in the Candesartan in Heart failure: Assessment of Reduction in Mortality and morbidity (CHARM)-Added trial. Am. Heart J., 151, 985–991 (2006). CrossRef
- Menard, J., Campbell, D. J., Azizi, M., and Gonzales, M. F., Synergistic effects of ACE inhibition and Ang II antagonism on blood pressure, cardiac weight, and rennin in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Circulation, 96, 3072–3078 (1997).
- Morgan, T., Griffiths, C., and Delbridge, L., Interaction of ACE inhibitors and AT1-receptor blockers on maximum blood pressure response in spontaneous hypertensive rats. J. Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst., 3, 16–18 (2002a). CrossRef
- Morgan, T., Griffiths, C., and Delbridge, L., Low doses of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin type 1 blockers have a synergistic effect but high doses are less than additive. Am. J. Hypertens., 15, 1003–1005 (2002b). CrossRef
- Nagura, J., Yasuda, S., Fujishima, K., Yamamoto, M., Hui, C., Kawano, K., Katano, K., Ogino, H., Hachisu, M., and Konno, F., Pharmacological profile of ME3221, a novel angiotensin II receptor antagonist. Eur. J. Pharmacol., 274, 201–211 (1995). CrossRef
- Nakao, N., Yoshimura, A., Morita, H., Takada, M., Kayano, T., and Ideura, T., Combination treatment of angiotensin-II receptor blocker and angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor in non-diabetic renal disease (COOPERATE): a randomized controlled trial. Lancet, 361, 117–124 (2003). CrossRef
- Okunishi, H., Miyazaki, M., and Toda, N., Evidence for a putatively new angiotensin II-generating enzyme in the vascular wall. J. Hypertens., 2, 277–284 (1984). CrossRef
- Pfeffer, M. A., McMurray, J. J., Velazquez, E. J., Rouleau, J. L., Kober, L., Maggioni, A. P., Solomon, S. D., Swedberg, K., Van de Werf, F., White, H., Leimberger, J. D., Henis, M., Edwards, S., Zelenkofske, S., Sellers, M. A., and Califf, R. M., Valsartan in Acute Myocardial Infarction Trial Investigators. Valsartan, captopril, or both in myocardial infarction complicated by heart failure, left ventricular dysfunction, or both. N. Engl. J. Med., 349, 1893–1906 (2003). CrossRef
- Urata, H., Kinoshita, A., Misono, K. S., Bumpus, F. M., and Husain, A., Identification of a highly specific chymase as the major angiotensin II-forming enzyme in the human heart. J. Biol. Chem., 265, 22348–22357 (1990).
- Webb, R. L., Navarrete, A. E., and Davis, S., Effects of valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide alone and in combination on blood pressure and heart rate in conscious-telemetered spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR). Am. J. Hypertens., 11, 59–65 (1998a). CrossRef
- Webb, R. L., Navarrete, A. E., Davis, S., and de Gasparo, M., Synergistic effects of combined converting enzyme inhibition and angiotensin II antagonism on blood pressure in conscious telemetered spontaneously hypertensive rats. J. Hypertens., 16, 843–852 (1998b). CrossRef
- Witte, K., Engelhardt, S., Janssen, B. J., Lohse, M., and Lemmer, B., Circadian and short-term regulation of blood pressure and heart rate in transgenic mice with cardiac overexpression of the β1-adrenoceptor. Chronobiol. Int., 21, 205–216 (2004). CrossRef
- Synergistic decrease in blood pressure by captopril combined with losartan in spontaneous hypertensive rats
Archives of Pharmacal Research
Volume 32, Issue 6 , pp 955-962
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Pharmaceutical Society of Korea
- Additional Links
- Blood pressure
- Spontaneous hypertensive rat
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. College of Pharmacy, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, 305-764, Korea
- 2. Department of Pharmacology, Chungnam National University College of Pharmacy, Daejeon, 305-764, Korea