Effect of supplementation with vitamin E and C on plasma hsCRP level and cobalt–albumin binding score as markers of plasma oxidative stress in obesity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
About 50% of patients presenting acute coronary syndrome not displayed classical risk factors, remaining inaccessible for prevention. Plasma hsCRP  and cobalt–albumin binding (ABSU) test  were recently introduced as more informative cardiovascular risk markers. Ischemia modified albumin (IMA) assessed with ABSU test, appears to be an indicator of oxidative stress, may not be specific for cardiac ischemia. Data about IMA concentrations in noncardiac ischemia are limited. Vitamin E and C, potent antioxidants have several anti-atherogenic effects .
The aim of the study
The aim of study was to assess the effects of short-term dietary supplementation with vitamin E and C on the relation between plasma hsCRP, IMA level and oxidative stress/antioxidant capacity parameters.
Patients and methods
Forty-four cardiovascular event-free obese men without others CHD risk factors, without symptoms of inflammatory disease and the control group of normoweight healthy subjects (n = 18) w ...
- Ridker P (2001) High-sensitivity C-reactive protein: potential adjunct for global risk assessment in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Circulation 103:1813–1818
- Apple F, Wu A, Mair J, Ravkilde J, Panteghini M, et al (2005) Future biomarkers for detection of ischemia and risk stratification in acute coronary syndrome. Clin Chem 51(5):810–824 CrossRef
- Choi S, Benzie I, Collins A, Hannigan B, Strain J (2004) Vitamins C and E: acute interactive effects on biomarkers of antioxidant defense and oxidative stress. Mutation Res 551:109–115
- Effect of supplementation with vitamin E and C on plasma hsCRP level and cobalt–albumin binding score as markers of plasma oxidative stress in obesity
Genes & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 151-154
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Ischemia modified albumin
- Antioxidant vitamins
- Industry Sectors