Optimization of lipase production using differential evolution
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Differential Evolution (DE) coupled with Response Surface Methodology (RSM) has been used for the optimization of extracellular lipolytic enzyme production by Rhizopus oryzae NRRL 3562 through sold state fermentation. The input space of the experimentally validated RSM-model was optimized using a novel Differential Evolution approach (DE), which works based on the natural selection and survival of the fittest concepts of the biological world. The maximum lipase activity of 96.52 U/gds was observed with the DE stated optimum values of 35.59°C, 1.50, 5.28, and 4.83 days for temperature, liquid to solid ratio, pH, and incubation time respectively. The optimal levels of control parameters namely number of population, generations, crossover operator, and mutation constant were equal to 20, 50, 0.6, and 0.20, respectively. The developed model and its optimization are generic in nature and thus appear to be useful for the design and scale-up of the extracellular lipase production by R. oryzae NRRL 3562 through solid state fermentation.
- Reetz, M. R. (2002) Lipases as practical biocatalysts. Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol. 6: 145–150. CrossRef
- Jaeger, K. E. and E. Thorsten (2002) Lipases for biotechnology. Curr. Opin. Biotech. 13: 390–397. CrossRef
- Hasan, F., A. A. Shah, and A. Hameed (2006) Industrial applications of microbial lipases. Enz. Microb. Tech. 39: 235–251. CrossRef
- Houde, A., A. Kademi, and D. Leblanc (2004) Lipases and their industrial applications: an overview. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 118: 155–170. CrossRef
- Tunga, R., B. Shrivastava, and R. Banerjee (2003) Purification and characterization of a protease from solid state cultures of Aspergillus parasiticus. Proc. Biochem. 38: 1553–1558. CrossRef
- Mukherjee, G. and R. Banerjee (2004) Biosynthesis of tannase and gallic acid from tannin rich substrates by R. oryzae and Aspergillus foetidus. J. Basic Microbiol. 44: 42–48. CrossRef
- Nigam, P. and D. Singh (1994) Solid-state (substrate) fermentation systems and their applications in biotechnology. J. Basic Microbiol. 34: 405–423. CrossRef
- Iftikhar, T., N. Mubashir, A. Munazza, H. Ikram-ul, and I. R. Muhammad (2008) Maximization of intracellular lipase production in a lipase-overproducing mutant derivative of Rhizopus oligosporus DGM 31: A kinetic study. Food Technol. Biotechnol. 46: 402–412.
- Shu, Y. S. and Y. Xu (2008) Solid-state fermentation for ‘wholecell synthetic lipase’ production from Rhizopus chinensis and identification of the functional enzyme. Proc. Biochem. 43: 219–224. CrossRef
- Rodriguez, J. A., J. C. Mateos, J. Nungaray, V. González, T. Bhagnagar, S. Roussos, J. Cordova, and J. Baratti (2006) Improving lipase production by nutrient source modification using Rhizopus homothallicus cultured in solid state fermentation. Proc. Biochem. 41: 2264–2269. CrossRef
- Matsumoto, T., S. Takahashi, M. Ueda, A. Tanaka, H. Fukuda, and A. Kondo (2002) Preparation of high activity yeast whole cell bioctalysts by optimization of intracellular production of recombinant Rhizopus oryzae lipase. J. Mol. Catal. B: Enz. 17: 143–149. CrossRef
- Hiol, A., M. D. Jonzo, N. Rugani, D. Druet, L. Sarda, and L. C. Comeau (2000) Purification and characterization of an extracellular lipase from a thermophilic Rhizopus oryzae strain isolated from palm fruit. Enz. Microb. Technol. 26: 421–430. CrossRef
- Essamri, M., D. Valerie, and C. Louis (1998) Optimization of lipase production by Rhizopus oryzae and study on the stability of lipase activity in organic solvents. J. Biotechnol. 60: 97–103. CrossRef
- Myers, R. H. and D. C. Montgomery (2005) Response surface methodology: process and product optimization using designed experiments. John Wiley and Sons, NY, USA.
- Storn, R. and K. Price (1997) Differential Evolution-A simple and Efficient Heuristic for Global Optimization over Continuous Spaces. J. Global. Optim. 11: 341–359. CrossRef
- Kumari, A., P. Mahapatra, V. K. Garlapati, and R. Banerjee (2008) Comparative study of thermostabilty and ester synthesis ability of free and immobilized lipases on cross linked silica gel. Bioproc. Biosyst. Eng. 31: 291–298. CrossRef
- Kordel, M., B. Hofmann, D. Schomburg, and R. D. Schmid (1991) Extracellular lipase of Pseudomonas sp. strain ATCC-21808: purification, characterization, crystallization, and preliminary X-ray diffraction data. J. Bacteriol. 173: 4836–4841.
- Montgomery, D. C. and G. C. Runger (2002) Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers. John Wiley and Sons (Asia), Singapore.
- Ul-haq, I., S. Idrees, and M. Ibrahim Rajoka (2002) Production of lipases by Rhizopus oligosporous by solid-state fermentation. Proc. Biochem. 37: 637–641. CrossRef
- Cordova, J., M. Nemmaoui, M. Isma li-Alaoui, A. Morin, S. Roussos, M. Raimbault, and B. Benjilali (1998) Lipase production by solid state fermentation of olive cake and sugar cane bagasse. J. Mol. Catal. B: Enz. 5: 75–78. CrossRef
- Kempka, A. P., N. L. Lipke, T. L. F. Pinheiro, S. Menoncin, H. Treichel, D. M. G. Freire, M. D. Luccio, and D. D. Oliveira (2008) Response surface method to optimize the production and characterization of lipase from Penicillium verrucosum in solidstate fermentation. Bioproc. Biosyst. Eng. 31:119–125. CrossRef
- Gombert, A. K., A. L. Pinto, L. R. Castilho, and D. M. G. Freire (1999) Lipase production by Penicillium restrictum in solidstate fermentation using babassu oil cake as substrate. Proc. Biochem. 35: 85–90. CrossRef
- Sun, S.Y. and Y. Xu (2008) Solid-state fermentation for ‘wholecell synthetic lipase’ production from Rhizopus chinensis and identification of the functional enzyme. Proc. Biochem. 43:219–224. CrossRef
- Castilho, L. R., C. M. S. Polato, E. A. Baruque, G. L. Sant’Anna Jr., and D. M. G. Freire (2000) Economic analysis of lipase production by Penicillium restrictum in solid-state and submerged fermentations. Biochem. Eng. J. 4: 239–247. CrossRef
- Optimization of lipase production using differential evolution
Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 254-260
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Korean Society for Biotechnology and Bioengineering
- Additional Links
- solid state fermentation
- Rhizopus oryzae NRRL 3562
- Differential Evolution (DE)
- Industry Sectors