High cell density ethanol fermentation in an upflow packed-bed cell recycle bioreactor
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An upflow packed-bed cell recycle bioreactor (IUPCRB) is proposed for obtaining a high cell density. The system is comprised of a stirred tank bioreactor in which cells are retained partially by a packed-bed. A 1.3 cm (ID) × 48 cm long packed-bed was installed inside a 2 L bioreactor (working volume 1 L). Continuous ethanol fermentation was carried out using a 100 g/L glucose solution containing Saccharomyces cerevisiae (ATCC 24858). Cell retention characteristics were investigated by varying the void fraction (VF) of the packed bed by packing it with particles of 0.8∼2.0 mm sized stone, cut hollow fiber pieces, ceramic, and activated carbon particles. The best results were obtained using an activated carbon bed with a VF of 30∼35%. The IUPCRB yielded a maximum cell density of 87 g/L, an ethanol concentration of 42 g/L, and a productivity of 21 g/L/h when a 0.5 h−1 dilution rate was used. A natural bleeding of cells from the filter bed occurred intermittently. This cell loss consisted of an average of 5% of the cell concentration in the bioreactor when a high cell concentration (approximately 80 g/L) was being maintained.
- Lynd, L. R., J. H. Cushman, R. J. Nichols, and C. E. Wyman (1991) Fuel ethanol from cellulosic biomass. Science 251: 1318–1323. CrossRef
- Stephanopoulos, G. (2007) Challenges in engineering microbes for biofuels production. Science 315: 801–804. CrossRef
- Prasad, S., A. Singh, and H. C. Joshi (2007) Ethanol as an alternative fuel from agricultural, industrial and urban residues. Resour. Conserv. Recy. 50: 1–39. CrossRef
- Shuler, M. L. and F. Kargi (2003) Bioprocess Engineering: Basic Concepts. 2nd ed., Prentice Hall PTR, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA.
- Kim, B. S., S. C. Lee, S. Y. Lee, H. N. Chang, Y. K. Chang, and S. I. Woo (1994) Production of poly(3-hydroxybutyric acid) by fed-batch culture of Alcaligenes eutrophus with glucose concentration control. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 43: 892–898. CrossRef
- Lee, Y. L. and H. N. Chang (1990) High cell density culture of a recombinant Escherichia coli producing penicillin acylase in a membrane cell recycle fermentor. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 36: 330–337. CrossRef
- Park, J. K., Y. B. Jin, and H. N. Chang (1999) Reusable biosorbents in capsules from Zoogloea ramigera cells for cadmium removal. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 63: 116–121. CrossRef
- Chang, H. N. and M. Moo-Young (1988) Estimation of oxygen penetration depth in immobilized cells. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 29: 107–112.
- Zenon (2006) http://www.zenon.com.
- Koh, J. S. and H. N. Chang (1979) Anaerobic treatment of MSG waste with CSTR and filter. J. Kor. Int. Chem. Eng. 17: 281–292.
- Yoon, H. H., Y. S. Ghim, H. N. Chang, Y. J. Kim, and J. S. Rhee (1982) Wastewater treatment using a dual biological reactor system. J. Kor. Int. Chem. Eng. 20: 293–300.
- Rittman, B. E. and P. L. McCarty (2001) Environmental Biotechnology: Principles and Applications. International Edition, McGraw-Hill, Singapore.
- Wagner, H., R. Bauer, G. Birol, P. Doruker, B. Kirdar, Z. I. Onsan, and K. Ulgen (1998) Mathematical description of ethanol fermentation by immobilised Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Process Biochem. 33: 763–771. CrossRef
- Reynolds, T. D. and P. A. Richards (1996) Unit Operations and Processes in Environmental Engineering. PWS Publishing Co., Boston, MA, USA.
- Ergun, S. (1952) Fluid flow through packed columns. Chem. Eng. Prog. 48: 89–94.
- Gron, S., K. Biedermann, and C. Emborg (1996) Production of proteinase A by Saccharomyces cerevisiae in a cell-recycling fermentation system: Experiments and computer simulations. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 44: 724–730. CrossRef
- Atkinson, B. and F. Mavituna (1983) Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology Handbook. The Nature Press, New York, NY, USA.
- Lee, C. W. and H. N. Chang (1987) Kinetics of ethanol fermentations in membrane cell recycle fermentors. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 29: 1105–1112. CrossRef
- Cysewski, G. R. and C. R. Wilke (1977) Rapid ethanol fermentations using vacuum and cell recycle. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 19: 1125–1143. CrossRef
- Lee, W. G. (1995) High Density Cell Culture and Continuous Ethanol Fermentation with an Internal Filter System. Ph.D. Thesis. KAIST, Daejeon, Korea.
- Tchobanoglous, G. F. L. Burton, and H. David Stensel (2003) Wastewater Engineering: Treatment and Reuse. 4th ed., Metcalf & Eddy Inc., McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA.
- Lim, S. J., Y. H. Ahn, E. Y. Kim, and H. N. Chang (2006) Nitrate removal in a packed bed reactor using volatile fatty acids from anaerobic acidogenesis of food wastes. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 11: 538–543.
- Jeong, G.-T., G.-Y. Lee, J.-M. Cha, and D.-H. Park (2008) Comparison of packing materials in biofilter system for the biological removal of hydrogen sulfide: Polypropylene fibrils and volcanic stone. Kor. J. Chem. Eng. 25: 118–123. CrossRef
- Rhim, J. A. and J. H. Yoon (2007) Application of a plug-flow column model to a biologically activated carbon pilot plant. Kor. J. Chem. Eng. 24: 600–606. CrossRef
- Lee, J. H., J. S. Lim, C. Park, S. W. Kang, H. Y. Shin, S. W. Park, and S. W. Kim (2007) Continuous production of lactosucrose by immobilized Sterigmatomyces elviae mutant. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 17: 1533–1537.
- Lee, S., H. Lee, S. Lee, S. Chitapornpan, C. Chiemchaisri, C. Polprasert, and K. Ahn (2007) Media configuration and recirculation of upflow anaerobic floating filter for piggery wastewater treatment. Kor. J. Chem. Eng. 24: 980–988. CrossRef
- Jung, J. Y., T. Khan, J. K. Park, and H. N. Chang (2007) Production of bacterial cellulose by Gluconacetobacter hansenii using a novel bioreactor equipped with a spin filter. Kor. J. Chem. Eng. 24: 265–271. CrossRef
- Park, S. W., S. J. Park, S. J. Han, J. Lee, D.-S. Kim, J.-H. Kim, B. W. Kim, J. Lee, and S. J. Sim (2007) Repeated batch production of epothilone B by immobilized Sorangium cellulosum. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 17: 1208–1212.
- Yon, J. O., J. S. Lee, B. G. Kim, S. D. Kim, and D. H. Nam (2008) Immobilization of Streptomyces phospholipase D on a Dowex macroporous resin. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 13: 102–107. CrossRef
- Jeon, B. Y., S. J. Kim, D. H. Kim, B. K. Na, D. H. Park, H. T. Tran, R. Zhang, and D. H. Ahn (2007) Development of a serial bioreactor system for direct ethanol production from starch using Aspergillus niger and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 12: 566–573. CrossRef
- Byun, I. G., J. J. Park, and T. J. Park (2008) A new method of autotrophic denitrification with spent sulfidic caustic as substrate and alkalinity source. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 13: 89–95. CrossRef
- High cell density ethanol fermentation in an upflow packed-bed cell recycle bioreactor
Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering
Volume 13, Issue 2 , pp 123-135
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Korean Society for Biotechnology and Bioengineering
- Additional Links
- high cell density
- void fraction
- upflow packed-bed
- activated carbon
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon, 305-701, Korea
- 2. Department of Chemical Engineering, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 702-701, Korea