Durable complete remission after brentuximab vedotin in a patient with relapsed and refractory Hodgkin lymphoma (HL)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present a case of a 23-year-old female patient with relapsed classical Hodgkin lymphoma in reduced general condition. She was refractory after multiple lines of prior chemotherapy including autologous stem cell transplantation. By applying a targeted therapy concept using brentuximab vedotin (SGN-35), the patient experienced a rapid clinical improvement with loss of B symptoms immediately after the first treatment cycle. Elevated serum levels for C-reactive protein (CRP) and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) returned to normal, and a significant improvement of hemoglobin levels were observed. Moreover, after administration of 16 cycles, the patient remains in complete remission, lasting now for > 15 months. Tolerability of treatment was excellent without evidence of infections or peripheral neuropathy. This case illustrates the clinical potential of brentuximab vedotin in patients with end-stage Hodgkin lymphoma who would otherwise have only limited treatment options.
- Jona A, Younes A. Novel treatment strategies for patients with relapsed classical Hodgkin lymphoma. Blood Rev. 2010;24:233–8. CrossRef
- Hoppe RT, Advani RH, Ai WZ, et al. Hodgkin lymphoma, version 2.2012 featured updates of the NCCN guidelines. J Natl Compr Cancer Net. 2012;10(5):589–97.
- Eichenauer DA, Engert A, Dreyling M. Hodgkin’s lymphoma: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol. 2011;22(Suppl 6):vi55–8.
- Horning SJ, Fanale M, de Vos S, et al. Defining a population of Hodgkin lymphoma patients for novel therapeutics: an international effort. Ann Oncol. 2008;20:Abstract 118.
- Younes A, Bartlett NL, Leonard JP, et al. Brentuximab vedotin (SGN-35) for relapsed CD30-positive lymphomas. N Engl J Med. 2010;363(19):1812–21. CrossRef
- Younes A, Gopal AK, Smith SE, et al. Results of a pivotal phase II study of brentuximab vedotin for patients with relapsed or refractory Hodgkin’s lymphoma. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:1–7. CrossRef
- Smith SE, Chen R, Gopal AK, et al. Long-term follow-up results of an ongoing pivotal study of brentuximab vedotin in patients with relapsed or refractory Hodgkin lymphoma (HL). EHA, Abstract #1109, June 14–17 2012, Amsterdam.
- Senter PD, Sievers EL. The discovery and development of brentuximab vedotin for use in relapsed Hodgkin lymphoma and systemic anaplastic large cell lymphoma. Nat Biotechnol. 2012;30(7):631–7. CrossRef
- Katz J, Janik JE, Younes A. Brentuximab vedotin (SGN-35). Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:6428–36. CrossRef
- Adcetris: EPAR, Product Information, October 2012. www.ema.europa.eu.
- Schwartz RS. Paul Ehrlich’s magic bullets. N Engl J Med. 2004;350:1079–80. CrossRef
- Sievers EL, Senter PD. Antibody-drug conjugates in cancer therapy. Ann Rev Med. 2013;64:15–29. CrossRef
- Durable complete remission after brentuximab vedotin in a patient with relapsed and refractory Hodgkin lymphoma (HL)
memo - Magazine of European Medical Oncology
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 119-122
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Vienna
- Additional Links
- Brentuximab vedotin
- Relapsed refractory CD30-positive disease
- Targeted therapy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Clinical Division of Oncology, Department of Medicine I, Medical University of Vienna, Währinger Gürtel 18–20, 1090, Vienna, Austria
- 2. Department of Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Währinger Gürtel 18–20, 1090, Vienna, Austria