Non-small cell lung cancer – ASCO 2009
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
From May 29 to June 2, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) held its annual meeting in Orlando, Florida (USA). The meeting was themed “personalizing cancer care”. The lung cancer track included several abstracts and discussions relevant to this theme. Furthermore, a number of promising new drugs were presented, and the timing of perioperative chemotherapy in patients with early stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) was debated. This short review summarizes some (but not all) of the emerging data, which may impact on the clinical care of patients with NSCLC today or in the near future.
- Felip E, Massuti B, Alonso G, et al. Surgery (s) alone, preoperative (preop) paclitaxel/carboplatin (PC) chemotherapy followed by s, or s followed by adjuvant (adj) pc chemotherapy in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): results of the natch multicenter randomized phase III trial. J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr 7500, 2009.
- Douillard JY, Rosell R and De Lena M, et al. (2006). Adjuvant vinorelbine plus cisplatin versus observation in patients with completely resected stage Ib–IIIa non-small-cell lung cancer (adjuvant navelbine international trialist association [anita].): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 7: 719–727 CrossRef
- Arriagada R, Bergman B and Dunant A, et al. (2004). Cisplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with completely resected non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 350: 351–360 CrossRef
- Scagliotti GV, Fossati R and Torri V et al. (2003). Randomized study of adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected stage I, II, or IIIa non-small-cell lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 95: 1453–1461
- Strauss GM, Herndon JE, 2nd, Maddaus MA, et al. Adjuvant paclitaxel plus carboplatin compared with observation in stage Ib non-small-cell lung cancer: CALGB 9633 with the cancer and leukemia group b, radiation therapy oncology group, and north central cancer treatment group study groups. J Clin Oncol 26: 5043–5051, 2008.
- Winton T, Livingston R and Johnson D, et al. (2005). Vinorelbine plus cisplatin vs. observation in resected non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 352: 2589–2597 CrossRef
- Pignon JP, Tribodet H and Scagliotti GV, et al. (2008). Lung adjuvant cisplatin evaluation: a pooled analysis by the lace collaborative group. J Clin Oncol 26: 3552–3559 CrossRef
- Le Chevalier T, Dunant A, Arriagada R, et al. Long-term results of the international adjuvant lung cancer trial (IALT) evaluation adjuvant cisplatin-based chemotherapy in resected non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). J Clin Oncol, 26: abstr 8044, 2008.
- Vincent MD, Butts C, Seymour L, et al. Updated survival analysis of jbr.10: a randomized phase III trial of vinorelbine/cisplatin versus observation in completely resected stage Ib and II non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr 7501, 2009.
- Brodowicz T, Krzakowski M and Zwitter M, et al. (2006). Cisplatin and gemcitabine first-line chemotherapy followed by maintenance gemcitabine or best supportive care in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a phase III trial. Lung Cancer 52: 155–163 CrossRef
- Fidias PM, Dakhil SR and Lyss AP, et al. (2009). Phase III study of immediate compared with delayed docetaxel after front-line therapy with gemcitabine plus carboplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 27: 591–598 CrossRef
- Ciuleanu TE, Brodowicz T, Belani CP, et al. Maintenance pemetrexed plus best supportive care (bsc) vs. placebo plus bsc: a phase III study. J Clin Oncol, 26: abstr 8011, 2008.
- Belani CP, Brodowicz T, Ciuleanu T, et al. Maintenance pemetrexed (PEM) plus best supportive care (BSC) vs. placebo (PLAC) plus bsc: a randomized phase III study in advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr CRA8000, 2009.
- Scagliotti G, Hanna N and Fossella F, et al. (2009). The differential efficacy of pemetrexed according to nsclc histology: a review of two phase III studies. Oncologist 14: 253–263 CrossRef
- Capuzzo F, Ciuleanu T, Steimakh L, et al. Saturn: a double-blind, randomized, phase III study of maintenance erlotinib versus placebo following nonprogression with first-line platinum-based chemotherapy in patients with advanced nsclc. J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr 8001, 2009.
- Miller VA, Das A, Rossi M. A randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled, phase IIIb trial (ATLAS) comparing bevacizumab (b) therapy with or without erlotinib (e) after completion of chemotherapy with b for first-line treatment of locally advanced, recurrent, or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr LBA8002, 2009.
- Scagliotti GV, Parikh P and Pawel J, et al. (2008). Phase III study comparing cisplatin plus gemcitabine with cisplatin plus pemetrexed in chemotherapy-naive patients with advanced-stage non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 26: 3543–3551 CrossRef
- Mok T, Wu Y-L, Thongprasert S, et al. Phase III, randomised, open-label, first-line study of gefitinib vs. carboplatin/paclitaxel in clinically selected patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (IPASS). Ann Oncol, 19: viii1-viii4 (LBA2), 2008.
- Fukuoka M, Wu Y, Thongprasert S, et al. Biomarker analyses from a phase III, randomized, open-label, first-line study of gefitinib (g) vs. carboplatin/paclitaxel (c/p) in clinically selected patients (pts) with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) in asia (IPASS). J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr 8006, 2009.
- Pirker R, Szczesna A, von Pawel J, et al. FLEX: a randomized multicenter, phase III study of cetuximab in combination with cisplatin/vinorelbine (CV) versus CV alone in the first-line treatment of patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). J Clin Oncol, 26: abstr 3, 2008.
- O’Byrne KJ, Bondarenko I, Barrios C, et al. Molecular and clinical predictors of outcome for cetuximab in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): data from the flex study. J Clin Oncol, 17: abstr 8007, 2009.
- Khambata-Ford S, Harbison C, Woytowitz D, et al. K-ras mutation (mut), EGFR-related, and exploratory markers as response predictors of cetuximab in first-line advanced NSCLC: retrospective analyses of the bms099 trial. J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr 8021, 2009.
- Pham D, Kris MG and Riely GJ, et al. (2006). Use of cigarette-smoking history to estimate the likelihood of mutations in epidermal growth factor receptor gene exons 19 and 21 in lung adenocarcinomas. J Clin Oncol 24: 1700–1704 CrossRef
- Lynch TJ, Bell DW and Sordella R, et al. (2004). Activating mutations in the epidermal growth factor receptor underlying responsiveness of non-small-cell lung cancer to gefitinib. N Engl J Med 350: 2129–2139 CrossRef
- Paez JG, Janne PA and Lee JC, et al. (2004). EGFR mutations in lung cancer: correlation with clinical response to gefitinib therapy. Science 304: 1497–1500 CrossRef
- Rosell R, Moran T and Queralt C, et al. (2009). Screening for epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in lung cancer. N Engl J Med 361: 958–967 CrossRef
- Ramalingam SS, Maitland M, Frankel P, et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase II study of carboplatin and paclitaxel with or without vorinostat, a histone deacetylase inhibitor (HDAC), for first-line therapy of advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NCI 7863). J Clin Oncol, 17: abstr 8004, 2009.
- Traynor AM, Dubey S, Eickhoff JC, et al. Vorinostat (nsc# 701852) in patients with relapsed non-small cell lung cancer: a wisconsin oncology network phase II study. J Thorac Oncol, 4: 522–526, 2009.
- Groen H, Hochstenbag MM, van Putten JW, et al. A randomized placebo-controlled phase III study of docetaxel/carboplatin with celecoxib in patients (pts) with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (nsclc): the nvalt-4 study. J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr 8005, 2009.
- Altorki NK, Keresztes RS and Port JL, et al. (2003). Celecoxib, a selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor, enhances the response to preoperative paclitaxel and carboplatin in early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 21: 2645–2650 CrossRef
- Herbst RS, Sun Y, Korfee S, et al. Vandetanib plus docetaxel versus docetaxel as second-line treatment for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a randomized, double-blind phase III trial (ZODIAC). J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr CRA8003, 2009.
- De Boer R, Arrieta O, Gottfried M, et al. Vandetanib plus pemetrexed versus pemetrexed as second-line therapy in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a randomized, double-blind phase III trial (ZEAL). J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr 8010, 2009.
- Natale RB, Thongprasert S, Greco FA, et al. Vandetanib versus erlotinib in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) after failure of at least one prior cytotoxic chemotherapy: a randomized, double-blind phase III trial (ZEST). J Clin Oncol, 27: abstr 8009, 2009.
- Non-small cell lung cancer – ASCO 2009
memo - Magazine of European Medical Oncology
Volume 2, Issue 4 , pp 202-205
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Vienna
- Additional Links
- Non-small cell lung cancer