Improving Pharmaceutical Product Development and Manufacturing: Impact on Cost of Drug Development and Cost of Goods Sold of Pharmaceuticals
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
It is not commonly understood that one of the largest components of the overall cost of bringing a new drug to the market is the cost of product development. Cost of product development can account for as much as 30% to 35% of the total cost of bringing a new drug to the market. Quality of product development also affects time to market and the quality of manufacturing and therefore cost of manufacturing. Investment in basic research in the science of product development and manufacturing will pay for itself through savings achievable in the cost of new drug development and in the cost of goods sold (COGS) of pharmaceutical products. In order for us to arrive at good estimates of the saving potential, one first needs to have credible estimates of the cost of new drug development and the overall COGS for pharmaceutical products.
- Basu, PK (1998) Pharmaceutical process development is different. Chem Eng Prog 94: pp. 75-82
- Pisano, G (1997) The development factory: unlocking the potential of process innovation. Harvard Business School Press, Boston
- Leila A, Henry S. New prescriptions for drug makers: update the plants. Wall Street Journal, September 12, 2003.
- Challenge and opportunity on the critical path to new medical products. US Department of Health and Drug Administration, Rockville
- Cohen N. PAT: process analytical technology as FDA and industry effort. In: ISPE Midwest Chapter Meeting, 2005.
- Hussain A. The process analytical technology initiative: PAT and pharmacopeias. In: EDQM Spring Conference, Cannes, 2004.
- Hussain A. ACPS Meeting, 2001.
- Woodcock J. Issues in drug quality regulation. March 12, 2002.
- Strategic roadmap for pharmaceutical technology. NIPTE, Des Plaines
- Vernon, JA, Hughen, KW, Trujilli, AJ (2007) Pharmaceutical manufacturing efficiency, drug prices, and public health: examining the casual links. Drug Information J. 41: pp. 229-239
- Dimasi, JA, Hansen, RW, Grabowski, HG (2003) The price of innovation: new estimates of drug development costs. J Health Econ. 22: pp. 151-185 CrossRef
- Dimasi, JA, Hansen, RW, Grabowski, HG (1991) Cost of innovation in the pharmaceutical industry. J Health Econ. 10: pp. 107-142 CrossRef
- Adams, C, Brantner, VV (2006) Estimating the costs of new drug development: is it really $802 million. Health Aff 25: pp. 420-428 CrossRef
- Matthews, M (2001) From inception to ingestion: the cost of creating new drugs, ideas. Institute of Pharmaceutical Innovation, Bradford
- Gilbert, J, Singh, A, Henske, P (2003) Rebuilding Big Pharma’s business model. In ViVo 21: pp. 10
- Grabowski, HG, Vernon, JA, Dimasi, JA (2002) Returns on research and development for 1990s new drug introductions. Pharmacoeconomics. 20: pp. 11-29 CrossRef
- Dickson, M, Gagnon, JP (2001) The cost of new drug discovery and development. Discov Med. 4: pp. 172-179
- Said HC. New frontiers in pharma R&D and India’s strengths in new drug discovery. In INDIA CHEM 2002; 2003 (Former Managing Director, Pfizer India).
- Tollman, P, Guy, P, Altshuller, J (2002–2003) A revolution in R&D: how genomics and genetics will affect drug development costs and times. Pharmaceutical R&D statistical sourcebook. BCG, Boston
- McCormick, K (2003) Manufacturing in global pharmaceutical industry. Urch, London
- Benson, RS, McCabe, JDJ (2004) From good manufacturing practices to good manufacturing performance. Pharmaceutical Engineering 24: pp. 26-34
- Raju GK. FDA Science Board Meeting. 2001.
- Dean, D, Bruttin, F (2005) Metamorphosis of manufacturing. IBM Business Consulting Services, Armonk
- Hussain A. Final report on PAT and manufacturing science. In FDA Science Board Meeting, 2004.
- Migliaccio G. FDA will seek consultant help in implementing quality initiative. The GoldSheet, vol. 36, September 2002.
- Dean, D, Bruttin, F (2000) The risks and economics of regulatory compliance. PDA J Pharm Sci. 54: pp. 253-263
- Reinhardt, UE (2001) Perspectives on the pharmaceutical industry. Health Aff. 20: pp. 136-149 CrossRef
- Basu, PK, Joglekar, G, Rai, S, Suresh, P, Vernon, JA (2008) Analysis of manufacturing costs in pharmaceutical companies. J Pharmaceut Innov. 3: pp. 30-40 CrossRef
- Holcomb, M, Rutten, P, Fuhr, T, Basu, PK (2008) Value of implementing quality by design for the pharmaceutical industry. FDA, Rockville
- Codgill, RP, Knight, TP, Anderson, CA, Drennen, JK (2007) The financial returns on investments in process analytical technology and lean manufacturing: benchmarks and case study. J Pharmaceut Innov. 2: pp. 38 CrossRef
- Improving Pharmaceutical Product Development and Manufacturing: Impact on Cost of Drug Development and Cost of Goods Sold of Pharmaceuticals
Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 175-187
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Product development
- Drug development cost
- Savings potential
- Industry Sectors