Design of an energy management strategy for parallel hybrid electric vehicles using a logic threshold and instantaneous optimization method
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A novel parallel hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) configuration consisting of an extra one-way clutch and an automatic mechanical transmission (AMT) is taken as the study subject of this paper. An energy management strategy (EMS) combining a logic threshold approach and an instantaneous optimization algorithm is developed for the investigated PHEV. The objective of this EMS is to achieve acceptable vehicle performance and drivability requirements while simultaneously maximizing engine fuel economy and maintaining the battery state of charge (SOC) in its rational operation range at all times. Under the MATLAB/Simulink environment, a computer simulation model of the studied PHEV is established using the bench test results. Simulation results for the behavior of the engine, motor, and battery illustrate the potential of the proposed control strategy in terms of fuel economy and in keeping the deviations of SOC at a low level.
- Ahn, H. S., Lee, N. S., Moon, C. W. and Jeong, G. M. (2007). Fuel economy improvement for fuel cell hybrid electric vehicles using fuzzy logic-based power distribution control. Int. J. Automotive Technology 8,5, 651–658.
- Ao, G. Q., Qiang, J. X., Zhong, H., Yang, L. and Zhuo, B. (2008). Exploring the fuel economy potential of ISG Hybrid electric vehicles through dynamic programming. Int. J. Automotive Technology 9,1, 53–59. CrossRef
- Baumman, B. M., Washington, G., Glen, B. C. and Rizzoni, G. (2000). Mechatronic design and control of hybrid electric vehicles. IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics 5,1, 58–72. CrossRef
- Delprat, S., Guerra, T. M. and Rimaux, J. (2002). Control strategies for hybrid vehicles: optimal control. Proc. 56th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conf., Vancouver, Canada, 3, 1681–1685. CrossRef
- Ehsani, M., Gao, Y. and Burtler, K. L. (1999). Application of electrically peaking hybrid (ELPH) propulsion system to a fully-size passenger car with simulated design verification. IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology 48,6, 1779–1787. CrossRef
- Fukuo, K., Fujimura, A., Saito, M., Tsunoda, K. and Takiguchi, S. (2001). Development of the ultra-low-fuelconsumption hybrid car-INSIGHT. JSAE Review 22,4, 95–103. CrossRef
- Galdi, V., Ippolito, L., Piccolo, A. and Vaccaro, A. (2001). Multiobjective optimization for fuel economy and emission of HEV using the goal-attainment method. Proc. 18th Int. Electric Vehicle Sysp., Berlin, Germany.
- Johnson, V. H., Wipke, K. B. and Rausen, D. J. (2000). HEV control strategy for real-time optimization of fuel economy and emissions. SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1543.
- Paganelli, G., Tateno, M., Brahma, A., Rizzoni, G. and Guezennec, Y. (2001). Control development for a hybridelectric sport-utility vehicle: strategy, implementation and field test results. Proc. American Control Conf., Arlington, VA, 5064–5069.
- Pu, J. H., Yin, C. L. and Zhang, J. W. (2005). Fuzzy torque control strategy for hybrid electric vehicles. Int. J. Automotive Technology 6,5, 529–536.
- Sasaki, S., Takaoka, T., Matsui, H. and Kotani, T. (1997). Toyota’s newly developed electric gasoline engine hybrid powertrain system. Proc. 14th Int. Electric Vehicle Symp., Orlando, Florida, USA, CD-Rom.
- Wipke, K. B., Cuddy, M. R. and Bursh, S. D. (1999). ADVISOR 2.1: A user-friendly advanced powertrain simulation using a combined backward/forward approach. IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology 48,6, 1751–1761. CrossRef
- Zhong, H., Wang, F., Ao, G. Q. and Qiang, J. X. (2008). An optimal torque distribution strategy for an interated starter-generator parallel hyrid electric vehicle based on fuzzy logic control. Proc. Institution Mechanical Engineers, Part D: J. Automobile Engineering 222,1, 79–92. CrossRef
- Design of an energy management strategy for parallel hybrid electric vehicles using a logic threshold and instantaneous optimization method
International Journal of Automotive Technology
Volume 10, Issue 4 , pp 513-521
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Korean Society of Automotive Engineers
- Additional Links
- Parallel hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV)
- energy management strategy (EMS)
- logic threshold control strategy (LTCS)
- instantaneous optimization
- Industry Sectors