Response of Lake Pontchartrain Fish Assemblages to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To assess possible impacts on Lake Pontchartrain fishes from the 2005 hurricanes, we compared trawl, beach seine, and gillnet collections taken before (2000–2003, 2005) and after (2006–2009) to determine if significant assemblage changes occurred. We also compared basic environmental variables to test for hurricane-related changes. Significant post-hurricane changes in fish assemblages occurred in trawl (analysis of similarity (ANOSIM), R < 0.090, p < 0.05) and beach seine (ANOSIM, R < 0.120, p < 0.05) collections across all seasons. Gillnet assemblages exhibited changes in only one season (ANOSIM, R = 0.045, p < 0.05). These consistently low global R values (all R < 0.120) across all gears suggest only minor compositional changes in species. When peak abundance periods were compared for individual species, Gulf menhaden (Brevoortia patronus) declined in trawl collections after the hurricanes (Friedman's test, χ 2 = 6.00, p = 0.014) but increased in gillnet collections (Friedman's test, χ 2 = 5.00, p = 0.025). Hardhead catfish (Ariopsis felis) increased in trawl collections, but Gulf pipefish (Syngnathus scovelli), naked gobies (Gobiosoma bosc), and rough silverside (Membras martinica) all declined in beach seine samples and Atlantic croakers (Micropogonias undulatus), Spanish mackerel (Scomberomorus maculatus), and sand seatrout (Cynoscion arenarius) all declined in gillnet samples. In general, salinity increased and water clarity and dissolved oxygen decreased after the hurricanes. While the overall composition of Lake Pontchartrain fish assemblages remains stable, the significant decline of some species and changes in certain environmental variables are cause for concern. Future monitoring should determine if all elements of this estuary will recover from these impacts.
- Adams, A (2001) Effects of a hurricane on two assemblages of coral reef fishes: multiple-year analysis reverses a false ‘snapshot’ interpretation. Bulletin of Marine Science 69: pp. 341-346
- Adkins, G. 1993. A comprehensive assessment of bycatch in the Louisiana shrimp fishery. Bourg: Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Technical Bulletin No. 42.
- Breitburg, DL, Craig, JK, Fulford, RS, Rose, KA, Boynton, WR, Brady, DC, Ciotti, BJ, Diaz, RJ, Friedland, KD, Hagy, JD, Hart, DR, Hines, AH, Houde, ED, Kolesar, SE, Nixon, SW, Rice, JA, Secor, DH, Targett, TE (2009) Nutrient enrichment and fisheries exploitation: interactive effects on estuarine living resources and their management. Hydrobiologia 629: pp. 31-47 CrossRef
- Buck, E.H. 2005. Hurricanes Katrina and Rita: fishing and aquaculture industries—damage and recovery. Congressional Research Service Report, Order Code RS22241
- Burkholder, J, Eggleston, D, Glasgow, H, Brownie, C, Reed, R, Janowitz, G, Posey, M, Melia, G, Kinder, C, Corbett, R, Toms, D, Alphin, T, Deamer, N, Springer, J (2004) Comparative impacts of two major hurricane seasons on the Neuse River and western Pamlico Sound ecosystems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101: pp. 9291-9296 CrossRef
- Byron, D, Heck, KL (2006) Hurricane effects on seagrasses along Alabama's gulf coast. Estuaries and Coasts 29: pp. 939-942
- Cashner, R.C., M.T. O'Connell, J.H. Humphries, and M.A. Poirrier. 2001. Impact of a prolonged period of low rainfall on the aquatic community in the Lake Pontchartrain estuary, Louisiana, USA. Abstract published for Symposium on the Role of Drought in Aquatic Ecosystems Albury, NSW, Australia sponsored by the Cooperative Research Centre for Freshwater Ecology and The Murray-Darling Freshwater Research Centre, Albury, NSW, Australia, February, 2001.
- Clarke, KR, Warwick, RM (2001) Change in marine communities: an approach to statistical analysis and interpretation. PRIMER-E, Plymouth
- Edmiston, HL, Fahrny, SA, Lamb, MS, Levi, LK, Wanat, JM, Avant, JS, Wren, K, Selly, NC (2008) Tropical storm and hurricane impacts on a Gulf Coast estuary: Apalachicola Bay, Florida. Journal of Coastal Research Special Issue 55: pp. 38-49 CrossRef
- Eustis, S.P. 2011. Bycatch of the Lake Pontchartrain Basin inshore shrimp fishery and its effect on two sea catfish species: the gafftopsail catfish (Bagre marinus) and the hardhead catfish (Ariopsis felis). Master's thesis. University of New Orleans, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Farris, G.S., G.J. Smith, M.P. Crane, C.R. Demas, L.L. Robbins, and D.L. Lavoie. 2007. Science and the storms—the USGS response to the hurricanes of 2005. U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1306
- Greening, H, Doering, P, Corbett, C (2006) Hurricane impacts on coastal ecosystems. Estuaries and Coasts 29: pp. 877-979
- Greenwood, MFD, Idelberger, CF, Stevens, PW (2007) Habitat associations of large-bodied mangrove-shoreline fishes in a southwest Florida estuary and the effects of hurricane damage. Bulletin of Marine Science 80: pp. 805-821
- Greenwood, MFD, Stevens, PW, Matheson, RE (2006) Effects of the 2004 hurricanes on the fish assemblages in two proximate southwest Florida estuaries: change in the context of interannual variability. Estuaries and Coasts 29: pp. 985-996
- Haley, TH, Bolton, RK, Johnston, CE (2010) Invasion of Gulf menhaden in the Alabama River. Southeast Fisheries Council Proceedings 52: pp. 13-15
- Hoe, A, Laws, EA, Gambrell, RP, Bae, H-S, Tan, M, DeLaune, RD, Li, Y, Roberts, H (2006) Pathogen indicator microbes and heavy metals in Lake Pontchartrain following Hurricane Katrina. Environmental Science and Technology 40: pp. 5904-5910 CrossRef
- Houde, E.D., J. Bichy, and S. Jung. 2005. Effects of Hurricane Isabel on fish populations and communities in Chesapeake Bay. In Hurricane Isabel in Perspective, ed. K.G. Sellner. Edgewater: Chesapeake Research Consortium, CRC Publication 05–160.
- Idelberger, C, Greenwood, MFD (2005) Seasonal variation in fish assemblages within the estuarine portions of the Myakka and Peace Rivers, Southwest Florida. Gulf of Mexico Science 2: pp. 224-240
- Lopez, J.A., A. Baker, and E. Boyd. 2010. Water quality in Chandeleur Sound in 2008 and 2010. Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation Report. http://saveourlake.org/PDF-documents/our-coast/ChandeleurSound_WaterQuality_10-2010.pdf. Accessed 20 Aug 2012.
- Kaufman, JB, Rousseeuw, PJ (1990) Finding groups in data: an introduction to cluster analysis. Wiley, New York CrossRef
- Mallin, MA, Corbett, CA (2006) How hurricane attributes determine the extent of environmental effects: multiple hurricanes and different coastal systems. Estuaries and Coasts 29: pp. 1046-1061
- O'Connell, MT, Cashner, RC, Schieble, CS (2004) Fish assemblage stability over fifty years in the Lake Pontchartrain estuary; comparisons among habitats using canonical correspondence analysis. Estuaries 27: pp. 807-817 CrossRef
- O'Connell, MT, Cashner, RC, Schieble, CS Fish assemblage instability and hydrologic influences in Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana (USA), a degraded oligohaline estuary. In: Xu, YJ, Singh, VP eds. (2006) Coastal Environment and Water Quality. Water Resources Publications LLC, Highlands Ranch
- O'Connell, MT, Shepherd, TD, Uzee-O'Connell, AM, Myers, RA (2007) Long-term declines in two apex predators, bull sharks (Carcharhinus leucas) and alligator gar (Atractosteus spatula), in Lake Pontchartrain, an oligohaline estuary in southeastern Louisiana. Estuaries and Coasts 30: pp. 1-8
- Penland, S, McCarty, P, Beall, A, Maygarden, D Environmental overview of the Lake Pontchartrain Basin. In: Penland, S, Beall, A, Kindinger, J eds. (2002) Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation. Open File Report 2. U.S. Geological Survey, New Orleans, Louisiana, pp. 2-6
- Piazza, BP, Peyre, MK (2009) The effect of Hurricane Katrina on nekton communities in the tidal freshwater marshes of Breton Sound Louisiana, USA. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 83: pp. 97-104 CrossRef
- Poirrier, MA, Ray, ZR, Spaulding, EA (2008) Acute disturbance of Lake Pontchartrain benthic communities by Hurricane Katrina. Estuaries and Coasts 31: pp. 1221-1228 CrossRef
- Poirrier, MA, Spalding, EA, Franze, CD (2009) Lessons learned from a decade of assessment and restoration studies of benthic invertebrates and submersed aquatic vegetation in Lake Pontchartrain. Journal of Coastal Research: Special Issue 54: pp. 88-100 CrossRef
- Rodgers, JC, Murrah, AW, Cooke, WH (2009) Vegetation of the Weeks Bay Reserve, Alabama from NDVI data. Estuaries and Coasts 32: pp. 496-507 CrossRef
- Ross, SW, Rhode, FC (2004) The gobioid fishes of North Carolina (Pisces: Gobioidei). Bulletin of Marine Science 74: pp. 287-323
- Sikora, W.B., and B. Kjerfve. 1985. Factors influencing the salinity regime of Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana, a shallow coastal lagoon: analysis of a long-term data set. Estuaries 8:170–180.
- Smith, JW Distribution of catch in the Gulf menhaden, Brevoortia patronus, purse seine fishery in the northern Gulf of Mexico from logbook information: are there relationships to the hypoxic zone?. In: Rabalais, NN, Turner, RE eds. (2001) Coastal Hypoxia: Consequences for Living Resources and Ecosystems. AGU, Washington, DC, pp. 311-320 CrossRef
- Stevens, PW, Blewett, DA, Casey, JP (2006) Short-term effects of a low dissolved oxygen event on estuarine fish assemblages following the passage of Hurricane Charley. Estuaries and Coasts 29: pp. 997-1003
- Swenson, E.M. 1980. General hydrography of Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana. Environmental Analysis of Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana, its surrounding wetlands, and selected land uses. New Orleans: US Army Engineer District. DACW29-77-C-0253.
- Switzer, TS, Winner, BL, Dunham, NM, Whittington, JA, Thomas, M (2006) Influence of sequential hurricanes on nekton communities in a southeast Florida estuary: short-term effects in the context of historical variations in freshwater inflow. Estuaries and Coasts 29: pp. 1011-1018
- Tabb, DC, Jones, AC (1962) Effect of Hurricane Donna on the aquatic fauna of north Florida Bay. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 91: pp. 375-378 CrossRef
- VanderKooy, S. 2011. Habitat description for the Gulf menhaden stock in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico. Report submitted to the Southeast Data, Assessment, and Review (SEDAR). SEDAR 27-DW07.
- Metre, PC, Horowitz, AJ, Mahler, BJ, Foreman, WT, Fuller, CC, Burkhardt, MR, Elrick, KA, Furlong, ET, Skrobialowski, SC, Smith, JJ, Wilson, JT, Zaugg, SD (2006) Effects of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita on the chemistry of bottom sediments in Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana, USA. Environmental Science and Technology 40: pp. 6894-6902 CrossRef
- Vrancken, J, O'Connell, M (2010) Effects of Hurricane Katrina on freshwater fish assemblages in a small coastal tributary of Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 139: pp. 1723-1732 CrossRef
- Vaughan, DS, Govoni, JJ, Shertzer, KW (2011) Relationship between Gulf menhaden recruitment and Mississippi River flow: model development and potential application for management. Marine and Coastal Fisheries: Dynamics, Management, and Ecosystem Science 3: pp. 344-352 CrossRef
- Vaughan, DS, Shertzer, KW, Smith, JW (2007) Gulf menhaden (Brevoortia patronus) in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico: fishery characteristics and biological reference points for management. Fisheries Research 83: pp. 263-275 CrossRef
- Watling, L, Norse, E (1998) Disturbance of the seabed by mobile fishing gear: a comparison to forest clearcutting. Conservation Biology 12: pp. 1180-1197 CrossRef
- Response of Lake Pontchartrain Fish Assemblages to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
Estuaries and Coasts
Volume 37, Issue 2 , pp 461-475
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Fish assemblages
- Lake Pontchartrain
- Hurricane Katrina
- Hurricane Rita
- Industry Sectors