American Journal of Potato Research

, Volume 88, Issue 2, pp 121–134

Planting System Effect on Yield Response of Russet Norkotah to Irrigation and Nitrogen under High Intensity Sprinkler Irrigation

  • Bradley A. King
  • David D. Tarkalson
  • David L. Bjorneberg
  • John P. TabernaJr.
Article

DOI: 10.1007/s12230-010-9169-9

Cite this article as:
King, B.A., Tarkalson, D.D., Bjorneberg, D.L. et al. Am. J. Pot Res (2011) 88: 121. doi:10.1007/s12230-010-9169-9

Abstract

Conversion of potato ridged-row planting systems to wide bed planting systems may increase water and nitrogen use efficiency in commercial irrigated potato production systems by reducing the amount of irrigation water and water applied nitrogen fertilizer bypassing the potato root zone. Wide bed planting systems consist of planting multiple rows on a wide bed with 20 to 35% higher plant population than found in conventional ridged-row planting systems. The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect planting system has on yield response of ‘Russet Norkotah’ potato to irrigation and nitrogen. Planting systems evaluated were (1) conventional ridged-row with dammer-diking; (2) 3.7 m wide bed with five potato rows spaced 66 cm between adjacent rows centered on the bed and; (3) 3.7 m wide bed with seven potato rows spaced 46 cm between adjacent rows. Six irrigation amounts, 50, 70, 85, 100, 115, and 130%, of estimated evapotranspiration after tuber initiation and four nitrogen rates, <20, 50, 100, and 150%, of conventional recommendations were applied to the three planting systems. Interactions between irrigation amounts and nitrogen rate were significant for total and U.S. No. 1 yield, irrigation water use efficiency, and gross return in one or both study years. Interactions between nitrogen rate and planting system were significant for total and U.S. No. 1 yield, irrigation water use efficiency and gross return in the first year of the study. Interactions between irrigation amount and planting system were not significant. In the first study year, total and U.S. No. 1 yields were significantly increased 12 and 19 percent, respectively, under the 7-row bed planting system compared to ridged-row planting system. Comparison of ridged-row planting system and 5-row bed planting system on 31 commercial potato fields in eastern Idaho representing a combined area of 2,800 ha over 5 years resulted in significantly higher total yield and irrigation water use efficiency with the bed planting system. The 5-row bed planting system averaged 6% higher total yield, 5% less water application and an 11% increase in irrigation water use efficiency. The results of this study demonstrate that under high intensity rate sprinkler irrigation in the soil and climatic conditions prevalent in eastern Idaho, bed planting systems provide viable production alternatives for irrigated potato production that may increase total yield, gross return, and irrigation water use efficiency.

Keywords

Irrigation Sprinkler irrigation Planting Planting configuration Bed planting Irrigation water use efficiency 

Resumen

La conversión de los sistemas de plantación de papa de surco simple a cama ancha puede incrementar la eficiencia en el uso de agua y nitrógeno en sistemas de producción comercial de papa bajo riego, mediante la reducción de la cantidad de agua de riego y del fertilizante nitrogenado aplicado en el agua que penetra hasta la zona radical de la papa. Los sistemas de plantación de cama ancha consisten en plantar hileras múltiples en una cama amplia con una población de plantas de 20 a 35% mayor que los encontrados en los sistemas convencionales de surco simple. El objetivo de este estudio fue el de evaluar el efecto que el sistema de plantación tiene en la respuesta en el rendimiento de papa “Russet Norkotah” respecto al riego y al nitrógeno. Los sistemas de plantación fueron: (1) surco simple convencional con cortina de contención; (2) cama de 3.7 m de ancho con cinco hileras de papa espaciadas a 66 cm entre líneas adyacentes centradas en la cama, y (3) cama de 3.7 m de ancho con siete líneas de papa espaciadas a 46 cm entre líneas. A los tres sistemas de plantación se les aplicaron seis cantidades de riego, 50, 70, 85, 100, 115, y 130% de evapotranspiración después del inicio de la tuberización, y cuatro niveles de nitrógeno, <20, 50, 100, y 150% de las recomendaciones convencionales. Las interacciones entre las cantidades de riego y el nivel de nitrógeno fueron significativas para rendimiento total y U.S. No. 1, eficiencia de uso del agua de riego, y recuperación de la inversión en uno o en ambos años de estudio. Las interacciones entre el nivel de nitrógeno y el sistema de plantación fueron significativas para rendimiento total y U.S. No. 1, eficiencia en el uso del agua de riego, y recuperación de la inversión en el primer año del estudio. Las interacciones entre la cantidad de riego y el sistema de plantación no fueron significativas. En el primer año de estudio, los rendimientos totales y U.S. No. 1 aumentaron significativamente 12 y 19%, respectivamente, bajo el sistema de plantación de siete hileras por cama comparado con el del surco simple. La comparación del sistema de surco con el de la cama de cinco hileras en 31 campos comerciales de papa en el este de Idaho, que representa un área combinada de 2,800 ha, durante cuatro años, dio por resultado un mayor rendimiento total significativo y de uso eficiente del agua de riego con el sistema de plantación en camas. El sistema de cinco hileras por cama promedió 6% más de rendimiento total, 5% menos de aplicación de agua, y un aumento del 11% en la eficiencia del uso del agua de riego. Los resultados de este estudio demuestran que bajo un nivel de alta intensidad de riego por aspersión en el suelo y bajo las condiciones climatológicas prevalecientes en el este de Idaho, los sistemas de plantación en cama ofrecen alternativas viables de producción para la producción de papa bajo riego, que pudiera aumentar el rendimiento total, la recuperación de la inversión, y la eficiencia en el uso del agua de riego.

Copyright information

© Potato Association of America 2010

Authors and Affiliations

  • Bradley A. King
    • 1
  • David D. Tarkalson
    • 1
  • David L. Bjorneberg
    • 1
  • John P. TabernaJr.
    • 2
  1. 1.Northwest Irrigation and Soils Research LaboratoryUSDA Agricultural Research ServiceKimberlyUSA
  2. 2.Western Ag ResearchBlackfootUSA

Personalised recommendations