Responses of Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) to Green Manure Cover Crops and Nitrogen Fertilization Rates
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study compared the effects of common vetch (Vicia sativa L.), faba bean (Vicia faba L.), and winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.; control) cover crop green manures in combination with four rates of nitrogen (N) on tuber yield and quality of three potato varieties (Marfona, Hermes and Agria) during 2-years (2004–2005). Results over years were combined for final analysis. Above-ground dry matter for common vetch and faba bean green manure crops were 2,300 and 2,587 kg ha−1, respectively. Mean root dry matter yield of faba bean (285 kg ha−1) was higher than common vetch (120 kg ha−1). Nitrogen (N) yields of common vetch and faba bean green manure crops were 49 and 58 kg N ha−1 for above-ground and 2.0 and 5.0 kg N ha−1 for root dry matter, respectively. Averaged over all nitrogen fertilizer rates, potato plants grown in plots following common vetch and faba bean green manure cover crops produced 12.7% and 15.0% more tuber yield ha−1, respectively, compared with plants in the winter wheat plots. Potatoes following green manure legume cover crops produced approximately 36% to 38% higher tuber yields compared with potatoes grown following winter wheat when no nitrogen fertilizer was applied. Differences between tubers yields following cover crops decreased as N rates increased. Results over combined 2-years indicated that the economically optimum N rate (EONR) was an average of 30 kg N ha−1 lower for potato following green manure legume cover crops compared with potato following winter wheat cover crop.
- Acikgoz, E. 2001. Yembitkileri. Uludag Universitesi Güclendirme Vakfı Yayın No:182, Bursa, 584 s.
- Agustin, E.O., C.I. Ortal, S.R. Pascua Jr., P.C. Santa Cruz, A.T. Padre, W.B. Ventura, S.R. Obien, and J.K., Ladha. 1999. Role of indigo in improving the productivity of rainfed lowland rice-based cropping systems. Experimental Agriculture 35: 201–210. CrossRef
- Bath, B. 2000. Matching the availability of N mineralized from crops with the N-demand of field vegetables. Doctoral Thesis. Swedish University of Agricultural Science. Uppsala. Sweden.
- Bẽlanger, G., J.R. Walsh, J.E., Richards, P.H. Milburn, and N. Ziadi. 2000. Comparison of three statistical models describing potato yield response to nitrogen fertilizer. Agronomy Journal 92: 902–908.
- Biederbeck, V.O., O.T. Bouman, J. Loomon, A.E. Slinkard, L.D. Bailey, W.A. Rice, and H.H. Jansen. 1993. Productivity of four annual legumes as green manure in dryland cropping systems. Agronomy Journal 85: 1035–1043.
- Black, W.N., and R.P., White. 1973. Effects of N, phosphorus, potassium, and manure factorally applied to potatoes in a long-term study. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 53: 205–211. CrossRef
- Gasser, M.O. 2000. Transformation et transfert de l’azote dans les sols sableux cultivés en pommes de terre (Solanum tuberosum L.). Ph.D. thesis. Univ. Laval, Sainte-Foy, QC, Canada.
- Griffin, T.S., and O.B., Hesterman. 1991. Potato response to legume and fertilizer nitrogen sources. Agronomy Journal 83: 1004–1012.
- Griffin, T., M., Liebman, and J., Jemison Jr. 2000. Cover crops for sweet corn production in a short-season environment. Agronomy Journal 92: 144–151.
- Honeycutt, C.W., W.M., Clapham, and S.S., Leach. 1996. Crop rotation and nitrogen fertilization effects on growth, yield and disease incidence in potato. America Potato Journal 73: 45–61. CrossRef
- Hopkins, B.G., and J.C. Stark, 2003. Humic acid effects on potato response to phosphorus. In Proceedings of the Winter Commodity Schools – 2003. Vol. 35, ed. L.D. Robertson et al, 87–92. Moscow, Idaho: University of Idaho-Cooperative Extension System.
- Isık Y ve C Alpturk. 1986. Konya yöresinde patatesin azotlu gübre istegi. Konya Köy Hizmetleri Arastırma Enstitüsü Müdürlügü Yayınları. Genel Yayın No: 122. Raporlar Serisi No: 96. Konya.
- Kleinkopf, G.E., D.T., Westermann, and R.B., Dwelle. 1981. Dry matter production and N utilization by six potato cultivars. Agronomy Journal 73: 799–802.
- Kusman, N., F. Eraslan, M Eraslan ve N Çiçek 1988. Patates Tarımı. Ege Tarımsal Arastırma Enstitüsü Müdürlügü Yayınları, Yayın No:82, Menemen, Izmir.
- Lauer D.A. 1986. Russet Burbank yield response to sprinkler-applied nitrogen fertilizer. American Potato Journal 63: 61–69. CrossRef
- Li, W., K.A. Zarka, D. Douches, J. Coombs, W. Pett, and J. Grafius. 1999. Coexpression of potato PVYo coat protein and cry-Bt genes in potato. Journal of the American Society of Horticultural Science 124: 218–223.
- Malpassi, R.N., T.C. Kaspar, T.B. Parkin, C.A. Cambardella, and N.A. Nubel. 2000. Oat and rye root decomposition effects on nitrogen mineralization. Soil Science Society of America Journal 64: 208–215.
- McGuire, A.M., D.C., Bryant, and R.F., Denison. 1998. Wheat yields, nitrogen uptake, and soil moisture following winter legume cover crop vs. fallow. Agronomy Journal 90: 404–410.
- Meyer, R.D., and D.B., Marcum. 1998. Potato yield, petiole nitrogen and soil nitrogen response to water and nitrogen. Agronomy Journal 90: 420–429.
- Millard, P., and B., Marshall. 1986. Growth, nitrogen uptake and partitioning within the potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) crop, in relation to nitrogen application. Journal of Agricultural Science Cambridge 107: 421–429. CrossRef
- Millburn, P., J.E. Richards, C. Gartley, T. Pollock, H. O’Neill, and H. Bailey. 1990. Nitrate leaching from systematically tiled potato fields in New Brunswick, Canada. Journal of Environmental Quality 19: 448–454. CrossRef
- Mitchell, W.H., and M.R., Teel. 1977. Winter-annual cover crops for no-tillage corn production. Agronomy Journal 69: 569–573.
- Mortvedt, J.J., P.N. Soltanpour, R.T. Zink, and R.D. Davidson. 2001. Fertilizing potatoes. Colorado State University. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/crops/00541.html
- Munoz, F., R.S., Mylavarapu, and C.M., Hutchinson. 2005. Environmentally responsible potato production systems: a review. Journal of Plant Nutrition 28: 1287–1309. CrossRef
- Ozyurt, E. 1982. Sivas ve Yıldızeli yöresinde patatesin azotlu ve fosforlu gübre istegi. Tokat Bölge Topraksu Arastırma Enstitüsü Yayınları.
- Pang, X.P., and J., Letey. 2000. Organic farming: Challenge of timing nitrogen availability to crop nitrogen requirements. Soil Science Society of America Journal 64: 247–253.
- Plotkin, J.M.B. 2000. The Effects of Green Manure Rotation Crops on Soils and Potato Yield and Quality. Master’s Thesis, University of Maine, Dept. of Plant, Soil and Environmental Science, Orono, USA. pp.117.
- Porter, G.A., and I.A., Sisson. 1991. Response of Russet Burbank and Shepody Potatoes to Nitrogen Fertilizer in Two Cropping Systems. American Potato Journal 68: 425–443. CrossRef
- Riley, H. 2000. Level and timing of nitrogen fertilizer application to early and semi-early potatoes (Solanum tuberosum L.) grown with irrigation on light soils in Norway. Acta agriculturæ Scandinavica. Section B, Soil and plant science 50: 122–134. CrossRef
- Robert S., W.H., Weaver, and J., Phelps. 1982. Effect of rate and time of fertilization on nitrogen and yield of Russet Burbank potatoes under center pivot irrigation. American Potato Journal 59: 77–86. CrossRef
- Rykbost, KA and B.A. Charlton. 2001. Nutrient loading of surface waters in the Upper Klamath Basin: agricultural and natural sources. Special report 1023. Agricultural Experiment Station, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
- Simard, R.R., and A., N’dayegamiye. 1993. Nitrogen mineralization of meadow soils. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 73: 27–38.
- Sims, J.R., and A.E. Slinkard. 1991. Development and evaluation of germplasm and cultivars of cover crops. p. 121–129. In W.L. Hargrove (ed.) Cover crops for clean water. Proc. Int. Conf., West Tennesse Exp. Stn., Jackson. 9–11 Apr. 1991. Soil and Water Conserv. Soc., Ankeny, IA.
- Steel, R.D., and J.H., Torrie. 1980. Principles and Procedures of Statistics: A Biometrical Approach. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Stute, J.K., and J.L., Posner. 1995. Synchrony between legume nitrogen release and corn demand in the upper Midwest. Agronomy Journal 87: 1063–1069.
- Thorup-Kristensen K., and N.E., Nielsen. 1998. Modelling and measuring the effect of nitrogen catch crops on the nitrogen supply for succeeding crops. Plant and Soil 203: 79–89. CrossRef
- Turgut, I., U. Bilgili, A. Duman, and E. Acikgoz. 2005. Effect of green manuring on the yield of sweet corn. Agronomy for Sustainable Development 25: 433–438. CrossRef
- Van Delden, A. 2001. Yield and growth components of potato and wheat under organic nitrogen management. Agronomy Journal 93: 1370–1385.
- Waddell, J.T., S.C. Gupta, J.F. Moncrief, C.J. Rosen, and D.D. Steele. 2000. Irrigation and nitrogen management impacts on nitrate leaching under potato. Agronomy Journal 91: 991–997.
- Westermann, D.T., and G.E., Kleinkopf. 1985. Nitrogen requirements of potatoes. Agronomy Journal 77: 616–621.
- Wivstad, M. l997. Nitrogen mineralization and yield of spring wheat as influenced by a Source of Nitrogen in Cropping Systems, Agraria 34. SLU, Uppsala. Sweden.
- Responses of Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) to Green Manure Cover Crops and Nitrogen Fertilization Rates
American Journal of Potato Research
Volume 85, Issue 2 , pp 150-158
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Nitrogen rate
- Green manure plants
- Tuber yield
- Potato varieties
- Tuber dry matter yield
- Common vetch
- Faba bean
- Industry Sectors