Synthesis and properties of symmetrically substituted 4,4′-bis(1,3,5-triazinyl)-diamino stilbene-2,2′-disulfonic acid derivatives as UV absorbing and fluorescent whitening agents
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The fluorescence properties of textiles dyed with optical brighteners have been widely reported in literature. However, little sufficient study has investigated the UV protection properties of textiles dyed with fluorescent whitening agents (FWAs). This study reports the synthesis of a series of stilbene-triazine compounds and their performance on cotton fiber as UV absorbing and FWAs. Triazinyldiaminostilbene compounds were synthesized by reacting 4,4′-diaminostilbene-2,2′-disulfonic acid with 2,4,6-trichloro-1,3,5-triazine to give 4,4′-bis(4,6-dichloro-1,3,5-triazin-2-yl)aminostilbene-2,2′-disulphonic acid. This intermediate was further condensed in two steps with amines by nucleophilic substituents on their triazine moiety. The structure of synthesized compounds were characterized by spectroscopic techniques i.e. IR, UV, elemental analysis and conformed by proton NMR Spectroscopy. These compounds were applied to cotton fiber as fluorescent whitening and UV absorbing agents. Their performances were evaluated with regards to whitening effects, ultraviolet protection factor (UPF), degree of exhaustion and fastness test.
- P. Krais, Melliand Textber., 10, 468 (1929).
- H. Zollinger, “Color Chemistry: Syntheses, Properties, and Applications of Organic Dyes and Pigments”, pp.56–89, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2003.
- J. K. Lee, S. I. Um, Y. Kang, and D. J. Baek, Dyes Pigm., 64, 93 (2005). CrossRef
- R. L. Baker, U. S. Patent, 6165973 (2000).
- X. Wang, W. Li, X. H. Zhang, D. Z. Liu, and X. Q. Zhou, Dyes Pigm., 64, 141 (2005). CrossRef
- J. Shore, “Colorants and Auxiliaries: Organic Chemistry and Application Properties”, pp.23–36, Society of Dyers and Colourists, West Yorshire, 1990.
- A. M. Grancaric and T. Pusic, Proc. AIC 2004 Color and Paints, Brazil, pp.125–128 (2004).
- D. Saravanan, AUTEX Res. J., 7, 53 (2007).
- C. Eckhardt, D. Reinehr, G. Metzger, and H. Sauter, U.S. Patent, 5939379 (1999).
- K. Lu, G. Larson, H. Q. Tran, and W. A. Houle, U.S. Patent, 20060246383 (2006).
- A. C. Jackson, U.S. Patent, 7198731 (2005).
- “AATCC Technical Manual”, pp.54–58, AATCC, Raleigh, 2000.
- Synthesis and properties of symmetrically substituted 4,4′-bis(1,3,5-triazinyl)-diamino stilbene-2,2′-disulfonic acid derivatives as UV absorbing and fluorescent whitening agents
Fibers and Polymers
Volume 10, Issue 4 , pp 407-412
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- The Korean Fiber Society
- Additional Links
- Fluorescent whitening agent
- UV absorbing agent
- Ultraviolet protection factor
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Department of Applied Chemistry, University of Karachi, Karachi, 75270, Pakistan
- 1. H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi, 75270, Pakistan
- 2. Textile Engineering, Chemistry & Science Department, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 27695-8301, USA