Design optimization of piezoelectric energy harvester subject to tip excitation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This research proposes a new design for a cantilever-type piezoelectric energy harvester in which a free tip is excited by any rotary motion of mechanical devices. A coupled field finite element model for the harvester is constructed using ANSYS and verification study is performed. Design optimization on the shape of the harvester is done to maximize output power. The design optimization result shows excellent performance when compared to a simple rectangular cantilever or the well-known tapered cantilever. The design results are prototyped and their improved performances are experimentally attested.
- S. Roundy, P. K. Wright and J. M. Rabaey, Energy scavenging for wireless sensor networks with special focus on vibrations, Kluwer Academic Publishers (2004).
- J. Kymissis, C. Kendall, J. Paradiso and N. Gershenfeld, Parasitic power harvesting in shoes, Proc. 2nd IEEE Int. Conf. Wearable Computing, California, USA (1998) 132–139.
- N. S. Shenck and J. A. Paradiso, Energy scavenging with shoe-mounted piezoelectrics, IEEE Micro., 21 (2001) 30–42. CrossRef
- E. S. Leland, E. M. Lai and P. K. Wright, A self-powered wireless sensor for indoor environmental monitoring, WNCG Conference, Austin, Texas, USA (2004).
- J. Feenstra, J. Granstrom and H. Sodano, Energy harvesting through a backpack employing a mechanically amplified piezoelectric stack, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 22 (2008) 721–734. CrossRef
- N. Elvin, A. Elvin and D. H. Choi, A self-powered damage detection sensor, J. Strain Analysis, 38(2) (2003) 115–124. CrossRef
- P. Glynne-Jones, S. P. Beeby and N. M. White, Towards a piezoelectric vibration powered microgenerator, IEE Proc.-Sci. Meas. Technol., 148 (2001) 68–72. CrossRef
- S. Roundy, E. S. Leland, J. Baker, E. Carleton, E. Reilly, E. Lai, B. Otis, J. M. Rabaey, P. K. Wright and V. Sundararajan, Improving power output for vibration-based energy scavengers, IEEE Pervasive Comput., 4 (2005) 28–36. CrossRef
- F. Goldschmidtboeing and P. Woias, Characterization of different beam shapes for piezoelectric energy harvesting, J. Micromech. Microeng., 18(10) (2008) 104013. CrossRef
- P. Simon and S. Yves, Improving the performance of a piezoelectric energy harvester using a variable thickness beam, Smart materials & structures, 19(10) (2010) 105020. CrossRef
- B. Zheng, C. J. Chang and H. C. Gea, Topology optimization for piezoelectric energy harvesting devices, 7th World Congress on Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Seoul, Korea (2007) 1677–1685.
- F. Khameneifar, M. Moallem and S. Arzanpour, Modeling and analysis of a piezoelectric energy scavenger for rotary motion applications, Journal of vibration and acoustics, 133(1) (2011) 011005. CrossRef
- Y. Hashimoto, O. Takahashi, H. Miyazaki, T. Funasaka and M. Furuhata, Power generation method and power generator using a piezoelectric element, and electronic device using the power, United States Patent No. 5835996 (1998).
- C. B. Carroll, Piezoelectric rotary electrical energy generator, United States Patent No. US 6194815 B1 (2001).
- C. Chen, R. A. Islam and S. Priya, Electric energy generator, ieee transactions on ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, 53(3) (2006) 656–661. CrossRef
- A. Erturk and D. J. Inman, An experimentally validated bimorph cantilever model for piezoelectric energy harvesting from base excitations, Smart Materials and Structures, 18 (2009) 025009. CrossRef
- Measurement Specialties Inc., Piezo Film Sensors Technical Manual, (cited 19 October 2010) Available from: http://www.media.mit.edu/resenv/classes/MAS836/Readings/MSI-techman.pdf.
- MatWeb, (cited 11 March 2011) Available from: http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=a696bdcdff6f41dd98f8eec3599eaa20.
- M. L. James, G. M. Smith, J. C. Wolfold and P. W. Whaley, Vibration of Mechanical and Structural Systems, Harper Collins College Publishers, New York, USA (1994).
- A. D. Belegundu and T. R. Chandrupatla, Optimization Concepts and Applications in Engineering, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA (1999).
- Design optimization of piezoelectric energy harvester subject to tip excitation
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 137-143
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Additional Links
- Energy harvesting
- Rotary motion
- Tip excitation
- Shape optimization
- Industry Sectors