Design optimization of piezoelectric energy harvester subject to tip excitation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This research proposes a new design for a cantilever-type piezoelectric energy harvester in which a free tip is excited by any rotary motion of mechanical devices. A coupled field finite element model for the harvester is constructed using ANSYS and verification study is performed. Design optimization on the shape of the harvester is done to maximize output power. The design optimization result shows excellent performance when compared to a simple rectangular cantilever or the well-known tapered cantilever. The design results are prototyped and their improved performances are experimentally attested.
- S. Roundy, P. K. Wright and J. M. Rabaey, Energy scavenging for wireless sensor networks with special focus on vibrations, Kluwer Academic Publishers (2004).
- J. Kymissis, C. Kendall, J. Paradiso and N. Gershenfeld, Parasitic power harvesting in shoes, Proc. 2nd IEEE Int. Conf. Wearable Computing, California, USA (1998) 132–139.
- Shenck, N. S., Paradiso, J. A. (2001) Energy scavenging with shoe-mounted piezoelectrics. IEEE Micro. 21: pp. 30-42 CrossRef
- E. S. Leland, E. M. Lai and P. K. Wright, A self-powered wireless sensor for indoor environmental monitoring, WNCG Conference, Austin, Texas, USA (2004).
- Feenstra, J., Granstrom, J., Sodano, H. (2008) Energy harvesting through a backpack employing a mechanically amplified piezoelectric stack. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 22: pp. 721-734 CrossRef
- Elvin, N., Elvin, A., Choi, D. H. (2003) A self-powered damage detection sensor. J. Strain Analysis 38: pp. 115-124 CrossRef
- Glynne-Jones, P., Beeby, S. P., White, N. M. (2001) Towards a piezoelectric vibration powered microgenerator. IEE Proc.-Sci. Meas. Technol 148: pp. 68-72 CrossRef
- Roundy, S., Leland, E. S., Baker, J., Carleton, E., Reilly, E., Lai, E., Otis, B., Rabaey, J. M., Wright, P. K., Sundararajan, V. (2005) Improving power output for vibration-based energy scavengers. IEEE Pervasive Comput 4: pp. 28-36 CrossRef
- Goldschmidtboeing, F., Woias, P. (2008) Characterization of different beam shapes for piezoelectric energy harvesting. J. Micromech. Microeng 18: pp. 104013 CrossRef
- Simon, P., Yves, S. (2010) Improving the performance of a piezoelectric energy harvester using a variable thickness beam. Smart materials & structures 19: pp. 105020 CrossRef
- B. Zheng, C. J. Chang and H. C. Gea, Topology optimization for piezoelectric energy harvesting devices, 7th World Congress on Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Seoul, Korea (2007) 1677–1685.
- Khameneifar, F., Moallem, M., Arzanpour, S. (2011) Modeling and analysis of a piezoelectric energy scavenger for rotary motion applications. Journal of vibration and acoustics 133: pp. 011005 CrossRef
- Y. Hashimoto, O. Takahashi, H. Miyazaki, T. Funasaka and M. Furuhata, Power generation method and power generator using a piezoelectric element, and electronic device using the power, United States Patent No. 5835996 (1998).
- C. B. Carroll, Piezoelectric rotary electrical energy generator, United States Patent No. US 6194815 B1 (2001).
- Chen, C., Islam, R. A., Priya, S. (2006) Electric energy generator, ieee transactions on ultrasonics. Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control 53: pp. 656-661 CrossRef
- Erturk, A., Inman, D. J. (2009) An experimentally validated bimorph cantilever model for piezoelectric energy harvesting from base excitations. Smart Materials and Structures 18: pp. 025009 CrossRef
- Measurement Specialties Inc., Piezo Film Sensors Technical Manual, (cited 19 October 2010) Available from: http://www.media.mit.edu/resenv/classes/MAS836/Readings/MSI-techman.pdf.
- MatWeb, (cited 11 March 2011) Available from: http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=a696bdcdff6f41dd98f8eec3599eaa20.
- James, M. L., Smith, G. M., Wolfold, J. C., Whaley, P. W. (1994) Vibration of Mechanical and Structural Systems. Harper Collins College Publishers, New York, USA
- Belegundu, A. D., Chandrupatla, T. R. (1999) Optimization Concepts and Applications in Engineering. Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA
- Design optimization of piezoelectric energy harvester subject to tip excitation
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 137-143
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Additional Links
- Energy harvesting
- Rotary motion
- Tip excitation
- Shape optimization
- Industry Sectors