Measurements of the characteristics of spray droplets using in-line digital particle holography
In-line digital particle holography is applied to measure the characteristics of spray droplets. Common reconstruction methods were considered and the best one was selected. Several important parameters at the time of hologram recording, such as the object distance and the region of laser beam used, are discussed. The feasibility of the correlation coefficient (CC) method for focal plane determination of 3-D droplets was verified. A double exposure hologram recording system with synchronization system for time control was established, and two digital spray holograms were obtained in a short time interval. For post-processing of reconstruction images, the two-threshold and the image segmentation methods were used in binary image transformation. Using the CC method and some image processing techniques applied to droplets in each double exposure image, the spatial positions of droplets used to evaluate the three dimensional droplet velocities were easily located, which proved the feasibility of in-line digital particle holographic technology as a good measurement tool for spray droplets.
- U. Schnars and W. Jueptner, Digital Holography, Springer, Berlin, Germany, (2005).
- M. Jaquot, P. Sandoz and G. Tribilon, High resolution digital holography, Optics Communications. 190(1) (2001) 87–94. CrossRef
- S. Lai, B. Kemper and G. V. Bally, Off-axis reconstruction of in-line holograms for twin-image elimination. Optics Communications. 169(1) (1999) 37–43. CrossRef
- H. Wang, D. Wang, J. Xie and S. Tao, Recording conditions of digital holography, Proc. of International Congress on High-Speed Photography and Photonics, SPIE, Bellingham, WA, USA. (2007) 62791J-1∼10.
- J. Kim, J. Chu and S. Lee, Improvement of pattern recognition algorithm for drop size measurement, Atomization and Sprays. 9(3) (1999) 313–329.
- K. J. Hay, Z. C. Liu and T. J. Hanratty, A backlighted imaging technique for particle size measurement in two-phase flows, Experiments in Fluids. 25(3) (1998) 226–232. CrossRef
- L. Yu and L. Cai, Iterative algorithm with a constraint condition for numerical reconstruction of three-dimensional object from its hologram, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A. 18(5) (2001) 1033–1045. CrossRef
- F. Dubois, C. Schockaert, N. Callens and C. Yourassowsky, Focus plane detection criteria in digital holography microscopy by amplitude analysis, Opt. Express. 14(13) (2006) 5895–5980. CrossRef
- C. B. Lefebvre, S. Coetmellec, D. Lebrun and C. Ozkul, Application of wavelet transform to hologram analysis: three-dimensional location of particles, Opt. Laser Eng. 33(6) (2000) 409–421. CrossRef
- Y. Zhang, D. X. Zheng, J. L. Shen and C. L. Zhang, 3D locations of the object directly from inline holograms using the Gabor transform, Proc. of Holography, Diffractive Optics, and Applications II, SPIE, Bellingham, WA, USA. (5636) (2005) 116–120.
- Y. Yang, B. S. Kang and Y. J. Choo, Application of the correlation coefficient method for determination of the focal plane to digital particle holography, Applied Optics. 47(6) (2008) 817–824. CrossRef
- Y. J. Choo and B. S. Kang, The characteristics of the particle position along an optical axis in particle holography, Meas. Sci. Technol. 17(4) (2006) 761–770. CrossRef
- A. Macovsk, Spatial and temporal analysis of scanned systems, Applied Optics. 9(8) (1970) 1906–1910.
- S. J. Baek and S. J. Lee, A new two-frame particle tracking algorithm using match probability, Experiments in Fluids. 22(1) (1996) 23–30. CrossRef
- The Expression of Uncertainty and Confidence in Measurement, United Kingdom Accreditation Service, M 3003, Edition 2, (2007) 16–36.
- Measurements of the characteristics of spray droplets using in-line digital particle holography
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 23, Issue 6 , pp 1670-1679
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Additional Links
- Digital particle
- Spray droplets
- Correlation coefficient method
- Industry Sectors