RETRACTED ARTICLE: Penetrator strength effect in long-rod critical ricochet angle
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
3D numerical simulations were performed in order to further investigate the role of penetrator strength in the interaction of long-rods and oblique targets. Three distinctive regimes resulting from oblique impact depending on the obliquity, namely simple ricochet, critical ricochet and target perforation, were investigated in detail. Critical ricochet angles were calculated with a full 3D explicit finite element method for various impact velocities and strength of target plates and projectiles.
Numerical predictions were compared with existing two-dimensional analytical models and test results. It was predicted that critical ricochet angle increases with decreasing impact velocity and that higher ricochet angles were expected if higher strength target materials are employed. But there are differences between analytical models and 3D numerical simulation results or test results. The causes for these discrepancies are established by numerical simulations which explore the validity of the penetrator strength parameter in the analytical model as a physical entity.
As a matter of fact, in this paper we first investigate the role of penetrator dynamic strength using two-dimensional simulation which resulted in different penetrator strengths out of different impact velocities. Next, by applying these amounts for penetrator strength in Rosenberg analytical model the critical ricochet angle is calculated. Finally, a comparison between the present analytical method with the 3D simulation and test results shows that the new analytical approach leads to modified results with respect to Rosenberg ones.
- Zukas, J. A. (1990) High Velocity Impact Dynamics. Wiley, (New York)
- Ogorkiewicz, R. M. (1991) Technology of Tanks. Janes’s Information Group, Coulsdon
- Goldsmith, W., Cunningham, P. M. (1956) Kinematic Phenomena Observed During the Oblique Impact of a Sphere on a Beam. J. Appl. Mech. 78: pp. 612
- Recht, R. F., Ipson, T. W. (1962) The dynamics of terminal ballistics. Denver Research Institute, Denver
- S. A. Finnegan, L. F. Dimaranan, D. E. R. Heimdahl and J. K. Pringle, A study of obliquity effects on perforation and ricochet processes in thin plates impacted by compact fragments, Proc. 14th Int. Symp. Ballistics, (1993) p 661.
- Tate, A. (1979) A simple estimate of the minimum target obliquity required for the ricochet of a high speed long rod projectile. J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 12: pp. 1825 CrossRef
- Z. Rosenberg, Y. Yeshurun and M. Mayseless, On the. Ricochet of long rod projectiles, Proc. 11th Int. Symp. Ballistics, (1989) p. 501.
- H. Senf, H. Rothenhausler, F. Scharpf, A. Both and W. Pfang, Experimental and numerical investigation of the ricocheting of projectiles from metallic surfaces, Proc. 6th Int. Symp. Ballistics, (1981) p. 510.
- Zukas, J. A., Gaskill, B. (1996) Ricochet of deforming projectiles from deforming plates. Int. J. Impact Eng. 18: pp. 601 CrossRef
- Johnson, W., Sengupta, A. K., Ghosh, (1981) High velocity oblique impact and ricochet mainly of long rod projectile: an overview. Int. J. Mech. Sci. 24: pp. 425 CrossRef
- Johnson, W., Sengupta, A. K., Ghosh, (1981) Plasticine modeled high velocity oblique impact and ricochet of long-rods. Int. J. Mech. Sci. 24: pp. 437-455 CrossRef
- Reid, S. R., Edmonds, A. J., Johnson, W. (1981) Bending of long steel and aluminum rods during end impact with a rigid target. J. Mech. Eng. Sci. 23: pp. 85 CrossRef
- Jonas, G. H., Zukas, J. A. (1978) Mechanics of penetration: analysis and experiment. Int. J. Eng. Sei. 16: pp. 879 CrossRef
- Tate, A. (1967) A theory for the deceleration of long rods after impact. J. Mech. Phys. Solids. 15: pp. 387 CrossRef
- Tate, A. (1969) Further results in the theory of long rod penetration. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 17: pp. 141-150 CrossRef
- Tate, A. (1977) A simple estimate of the minimum target obliquity required for the ricochet of a high speed long rod projectile. Int. J. Mech. Sci. 19: pp. 661-671 CrossRef
- Goldsmith, W., Finnegan, S. A. (1986) Normal and oblique impact of cylindro-conical and cylindrical projectiles on metallic plates. Int. J. Impact Eng. 4: pp. 83 CrossRef
- Roecker, E., Grabarek, C. (1986) The Effect of Yaw and Pitch on Long Rod Penetration into Rolled Homogeneous Armor at Various Obliquities. Proc. 9th Int. Symp. Ballistics 2: pp. 467-473
- J. Falcovitz, M. Mayseless, Z. Tauber, D. Keck, R. Kennedy, K. Ofstedhal and P. Sing, A Computer Model for Oblique Impact of a Rigid Projectile at Ductile Layered Targets, Proc. 11th Int. Symp. Ballistics, (1989) p. 311.
- G. R. Johnson, R. A. Stryk, T. J. Holmquist and O. A. Souka, Recent EPIC code developments for high velocity impact: 3D element arrangements and 2D fragment distributions, Int J Impact Eng, (1990), 281–294.
- Cullis, I. G., Lynch, N. J. (1995) Performance of model scale long rod projectiles against complex targets over the velocity range 1700–2200 m/s. Int. J. Impact Eng. 17: pp. 263-274 CrossRef
- G. Luttwak, Z. Rosenberg and Y. Kivity, Long rod penetration in oblique impact, AlP Conf Proc. (1996).
- Pierazzo, E., Melosh, H. J. (2000) Understanding oblique impacts from experiments, observations, and modeling. Ann. Rev. Earth Planet. Sei. 28: pp. 141-167 CrossRef
- V. Hohler and A. J. Stilp, Interferometric Investigation of Rod Deceleration During Impact Process, Proc. 6th Int. Symp. Ballistics, (1981) p. 333.
- G. F. Sislby, Penetration of semi-infinite steel targets by tungsten rods at 1.3 to 4.5 lcds, Proc. 8th Int. Symp. Ballistics, (1984) p. 31.
- Cagliostro, D. J., Mandell, D. A., Schwalbe, L. A., Adams, T. F., Chapyak, E. J. (1990) Armor penetration by projectile with combined obliquity and yaw. Int. J. Impact Eng. 10: pp. 81-92 CrossRef
- Bjerke, T. W., Silsby, G. F., Scheffler, D. R., Mudd, R. M. (1992) Yawed long-rod armor penetration. Int. J. Impact Eng. 12: pp. 281-292 CrossRef
- Bukharev, Y. I., Zhukov, V. I. (1995) Model of the penetration of a metal barrier by a rod projectile with an angle of attack, Combustion, Explosion and Shock Waves. Comb. Expl. Shock Waves (Fiz. Goren. Vzryva) 31: pp. 362 CrossRef
- Goldsmith, W., Tam, E., Tomer, D. (1995) Yawing impact on thin plates by blunt projectiles. Int. J. Impact Eng. 16: pp. 479-498 CrossRef
- C. E. Anderson, S. J. Bless, T. R. Sharron, S. Satapathy and M. J. Normandia, Investigation of yawed impact into a finite target, AlP Conf Proc., (1998) p. 925.
- M. Lee and S. J. Bless, Cavity models for solid and hollow projectiles, AlP Conf Proc., (1998) 925–928.
- Zienkiewicz, C., Taylor, R. L. (1991) The Finite Element Method. McGraw-Hill, (New York)
- Belytschko, T., Liu, W. K., Morgan, B. (2000) Nonlinear Finite Elements for Continua and Structures. Wiley, (New York)
- Goldsmith, W. (1999) Non-ideal projectile impact on targets. Int. J. Impact Eng 22: pp. 95-395 CrossRef
- US DoD Armour Plate, Steel, Wrought, Homogeneous Military Specification MIL-A-12560H (Amendment 3), (2000).
- G. R. Johnson and W. H. Cook, A constitutive model and data for metals subjected to large strains, high strain rates and high temperatures. Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Ballistics, (1983) p. 541.
- Meyers, M. A. (1994) Dynamic Behavior of Materials. Wiley, (New York) CrossRef
- LsDyna User’s Manual version 970, (Livermore Software Technology Corporation), (2007).
- Rosenberg, Z., Dekel, E. (1998) A computational study of the relations between material properties of long-rod penetrators and their ballistic performance. Int. J. Impact Eng 21: pp. 283-296 CrossRef
- Anderson, C. E., Walker, J. D., Bless, S. J., Partom, Y. (1996) On the L/D effect for long-rod penetrators. Int. J. Impact Eng 18: pp. 247-264 CrossRef
- Anderson, C. E., Walker, J. D. (1991) An examination of long-rod penetration. Int. J. Impact Eng 11: pp. 481 CrossRef
- Anderson, C. E., Walker, J. D., Hauver, G. E. (1992) Target resistance for long-rod penetration into semi-infinite targets. Nucl. Eng 138: pp. 93-104 CrossRef
- L. Woong, J. L. Heon and S. Hyunho, Ricochet of a tungsten heavy alloy long-rod projectile from deformable steel plates, Int. J. Appl,Phys, (2002) 35.
- RETRACTED ARTICLE: Penetrator strength effect in long-rod critical ricochet angle
Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology
Volume 22, Issue 11 , pp 2076-2089
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Additional Links
- Critical ricochet angle
- Penetrator strength
- Numerical solution
- Industry Sectors