Application of conservative surrogate to reliability based vehicle design for crashworthiness
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Surrogate models are commonly used for approximation of large computationally expensive vehicle crash simulation to facilitate rapid design space exploration and optimization. Unfortunately, the optimum design based on surrogates may turn out to be infeasible after running finite element crash simulation due to the surrogate errors. To meet this challenge, conservative strategy of surrogate modeling through compensating fitting errors was used for reliability based design optimization of vehicle structures for crashworthiness and weight reduction. The critical crash responses were constructed by unbiased kriging models, and conservative surrogates were obtained via adding safety margin to estimate the crash responses conservatively. The benefits of using conservative surrogates for reliability based design optimization were investigated in the context of constraint feasibility of the optimum designs through a mathematical example and a case study on vehicle crashworthiness design. The results demonstrate that optimization based on conservative surrogate helps to achieve the feasible optimum design, showing more attractive for reliability based design optimization in engineering applications.
- Yang R J, Wang N, Tho C H, et al. Metamodeling development for vehicle frontal impact simulation [J]. Journal of Mechanical Design, 2005, 127(9): 1014–1020. CrossRef
- Gao Yun-kai, Sun Fang, Yu Hai-yan. Crashworthiness optimization of car body based on kriging surrogate model [J]. Automotive Engineering, 2010, 32(1): 17–21 (in Chinese).
- Luo M, Zhou Q. A vehicle seat design concept for reducing whiplash injury risk in low-speed rear impact [J]. International Journal of Crashworthiness, 2010, 15(3): 293–311. CrossRef
- Qi C, Ma Z D, Kikuchi N, et al. A magic cube approach for crashworthiness design [C]//SAE World Congress and Exhibition. Detroit, Michigan, USA: Society of Automotive Engineers, 2006: 2006-01-0671.
- Sinha K. Reliability-based multiobjective optimization for automotive crashworthiness and occupant safety [J]. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 2007, 33(3): 255–268. CrossRef
- Pan F, Zhu P, Zhang Y. Metamodel-based lightweight design of B-pillar with TWB structure via support vector regression [J]. Computers and Structures, 2010, 88(1–2): 36–44. CrossRef
- Jiang Zhi-yu, Gu Min-tong, Zhao Yong-sheng. Design and optimization of an energy-absorbing thinwalled structure [J]. Journal of Vibration and Shock, 2010, 29(2): 111–116 (in Chinese).
- Chen W, Zhou X H, Wang H F, et al. Multiobjective optimal approach for injection molding based on surrogate model and particle swarm optimization algorithm [J]. Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University (Science), 2010, 15(1): 88–93. CrossRef
- Picheny V, Kim N H, Haftka R T. Conservative predictions using surrogate modeling [C]//Proceedings of 49th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference. Illinois, USA: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2008: 1716.
- Viana F A C, Picheny V, Haftka R T. Using cross validation to design conservative surrogates [J]. AIAA Journal, 2010, 48(10): 2286–2298. CrossRef
- Simpson T W, Mauery T M, Korte J J, et al. Kriging models for global approximation in simulationbased multidisciplinary design optimization [J]. AIAA Journal, 2001, 39(12): 2233–2241. CrossRef
- Viana F A C, Venter G, Balabanov V. An algorithm for fast optimal Latin hypercube design of experiments [J]. International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering, 2010, 82(2): 135–156.
- Zhu P, Zhang Y, Chen G L. Metamodel-based lightweight design of an automotive front-body structure using robust optimization [J]. Journal of Automobile Engineering, 2009, 223(9): 1133–1147. CrossRef
- Application of conservative surrogate to reliability based vehicle design for crashworthiness
Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University (Science)
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 159-165
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Shanghai Jiaotong University Press
- Additional Links
- crashworthiness design
- reliability based design optimization
- conservative surrogate
- kriging model
- weight reduction
- U 463.82
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 11240. State Key Laboratory of Digital Autobody Engineering, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, 200240, China
- 21240. State Key Laboratory of Mechanical System and Vibration, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, 200240, China
- 31240. Department of Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 60208-3111, USA