A Tribute to Professor Van C. Mow: A Wonderful Scholar and Leader in Bioengineering
- Shu Chien
- … show all 1 hide
It was a most joyous occasion to celebrate Professor Van Mow’s 70th Birthday on January 10, 2009 at the International Symposium on the Frontiers of Biomedical Engineering held at the Doral Arrowwood Conference Center, Rye Brook, NY. Van has had a most outstanding career in bioengineering as a scholar and leader that spanned over four decades. Indeed, he has fully utilized his superb intellectual capabilities by working with total dedication, constant innovation, and outstanding leadership, culminating in his truly remarkable career as a great scholar and leader in Bioengineering.
Van was born on January 10, 1939, in Chengdu, Sichuan, China and his birthday in the Chinese lunar calendar was November 24 in the Year of Tiger. According to Chinese Astrology, there are 12 animals representing a cycle of 12 years, with each animal having its unique characteristics that are applicable to people born in that year. Tiger is courageous, creative, dynamic, generous, hard working, kind, noble, tens
- Fung, Y. C. Biomechanics: Mechanical Properties of Living Tissues, 2nd edn, Chap. 12. Springer, 1993.
- Lai, W. M., J. S. Hou, and V. C. Mow. A triphasic theory for the swelling properties of hydrated charfe soft biological tissues. In: Biomechanics of Diarthrodial Joints, Vol. I, edited by V. C. Mow, A. Ratcliffe, and S. L.-Y. Woo. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1990, pp. 283–312.
- Mow, V. C. A personal journey from the abyss to day light. In: Presentation at the International Chinese Hard Tissue Society Meeting, Washington, D.C., February 20, 2005.
- Mow, V. C., S. C. Kuei, W. M. Lai, and C. G. Armstrong. Biphasic creep and stress relaxation of articular cartilage in compression: theory and experiments. ASME J. Biomech. Eng. 102:73–84, 1980. CrossRef
- Mow, V. C., W. M. Lai, and J. S. Hou. A triphasic theory for the swelling properties of hydrated charged soft biological tissues. Appl. Mech. Rev. 43(Part 2):134–141, 1990. CrossRef
- A Tribute to Professor Van C. Mow: A Wonderful Scholar and Leader in Bioengineering
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 282-284
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Shu Chien (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departments of Bioengineering and Medicine, and Institute of Engineering in Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA, 92093-0427, USA