Shinji Takahashi, M.D. (1912–1985): pioneer in early development toward CT and IMRT
Professor Shinji Takahashi (Fig. 1) was born in January 1912 in Nihonmatsu town (currently Nihonmatsu City), Fukushima Prefecture, Japan. He became the First Honorary Citizen of Nihonmatsu City in 1985. He graduated from the Tohoku Imperial University Faculty of Medicine, in Sendai, with an M.D. degree in March 1938 and immediately entered the Radiology Department of the same university for training. He was appointed as a lecturer in the same department in 1942, and in 1947, at the age of only 35, he moved from Sendai to Hirosaki to take up a post as professor at the Aomori Medical School, which became the Hirosaki University School of Medicine in 1949.Fig. 1
Professor Takahashi had a number of unique accomplishments during his lifetime. His first world-class accomplishment was the development of what was then called “rotation radiography” [1–3, 5], the precursor of present-day computed tomography (CT). The term “rotation radiography” was used because th ...
- Takahashi S, Imaoka M, Shinozaki T. Rotating crossgraphy (study on the rotatography 13th report). Nippon Acta Radiologica. 1950;10:1–8.
- Takahashi S. Rotation radiography. Tokyo: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science; 1957. p. 1–164. http://www.jsrt.or.jp/web_data/historicalrecord/rpt_takahashi_simple.pdf
- Takahashi S, Shinozaki T. Solidography—multisection rotation radiography of the heart and the model of the heart imaged on the serial rotation radiograms (study on the solidography 1st report) (study on the rotatography 22nd report). Nippon Acta Radiologica. 1958;13:479–84.
- Takahashi S. A new device of Co-60 rotation therapy. Clin Radiol (Tokyo). 1960;5:653–8.
- Takahashi S. Conformation radiotherapy rotation techniques as applied to radiography and radiotherapy of cancer. Acta Radiol Suppl. 1965;242:1–142.
- Takahashi S, Koga S, Kato HT. Der Rotatograph für transversale Schichtaufnahmen am liegenden Patienten. Der Radiologe. 1969;9:49–53.
- Takahashi S, Sakuma S. Magnification radiography. Berlin: Springer; 1975. CrossRef
- Takahashi S. Spirit of ICRP (lecture at Hamamatsu Medical University on November 23rd, 1979). Takahashi Shinji Memorial Lectures Series 1. The Medical Radiation Protection Association; 1999. p. 11–7.
- Shinji Takahashi, M.D. (1912–1985): pioneer in early development toward CT and IMRT
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Radiological Physics and Technology
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 1-4
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Emeritus Professor, Department of Radiology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
- 5. Gunma Prefectural College of Health Sciences, Maebashi, Japan
- 2. Aichi Cancer Center Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
- 3. Emeritus Professor, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
- 4. Director, Nagoya Clinical Center, Nagoya, Japan