Rhabdomyolysis in a multiple myeloma patient secondary to concurrent treatment with lenalidomide and pravastatin and to lenalidomide alone
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The use of novel agents such as immunomodulatory drugs (IMiDs) and proteasome inhibitors in the treatment of multiple myeloma (MM) has significantly improved the clinical course and prognosis of patients with this yet incurable disease. Lenalidomide has been successfully implemented in first-line induction and maintenance therapy, as well as in the therapy of relapsed and refractory disease [1, 2]. Synergistic effects of lenalidomide in combination with simvastatin on the promotion of apoptosis and the inhibition of proliferation in myeloma cells have been described, suggesting potential benefit of combined usage in the treatment of MM .
However, there is reason for increased caution. In 2010, one patient receiving lenalidomide in combination with fludarabine and rituximab was reported to have developed an increase in creatine kinase (CK) , and Urata et al.  reported in the International Journal of Hematology on the development of rhabdomyolysis in a patient with MM following t ...
- Lacy MQ. New immunomodulatory drugs in myeloma. Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2011;6(2):120–5. CrossRef
- Cives M, Simone V, Brunetti O, Longo V, Silvestris F. Novel lenalidomide-based combinations for treatment of multiple myeloma. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2012 Jul 16 [Epub ahead of print].
- van der Spek E, Bloem AC, Lokhorst HM, van Kessel B, Bogers-Boer L, van de Donk NW. Inhibition of the mevalonate pathway potentiates the effects of lenalidomide in myeloma. Leuk Res. 2009;3(1):100–8 [Epub 2008 Jul 14].
- Brown JR, Abramson J, Hochberg E, Mikler E, Dalton V, Werner L, et al. A phase I study of lenalidomide in combination with fludarabine and rituximab in previously untreated CLL/SLL. Leukemia. 2010;24(11):1972–5 [Epub 2010 Sep 16].
- Urata C, Yoshimura M, Itamura H, Hisatomi T, Kubota Y, Fukushima N, et al. Lenalidomide in combination with dexamethasone induced rhabdomyolysis in a multiple myeloma patient treated with pravastatin. Int J Hematol. 2011;94(2):216–7 [Epub 2011 Aug 3].
- Boga C, Ozdogu H, Yeral M, Kizilkilic E, Tamer L. Thalidomide in combination with dexamethasone-induced rhabdomyolysis in a patient with refractory myeloma. J Support Oncol. 2007;5(6):256.
- Chen N, Kasserra C, Reyes J, Liu L, Lau H. Single-dose pharmacokinetics of lenalidomide in healthy volunteers: dose proportionality, food effect, and racial sensitivity. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2012 Sep 6 [Epub ahead of print].
- Chen N, Lau H, Kong L, Kumar G, Zeldis JB, Knight R, et al. Pharmacokinetics of lenalidomide in subjects with various degrees of renal impairment and in subjects on hemodialysis. J Clin Pharmacol. 2007;47(12):1466–75 [Epub 2007 Oct 22].
- Matsuoka A, Tochigi A, Kishimoto M, Nakahara T, Kondo T, Tsujioka T, et al. Lenalidomide induces cell death in an MDS-derived cell line with deletion of chromosome 5q by inhibition of cytokinesis. Leukemia. 2010;24(4):748–55 [Epub 2010 Feb 4].
- Rhabdomyolysis in a multiple myeloma patient secondary to concurrent treatment with lenalidomide and pravastatin and to lenalidomide alone
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 96, Issue 6 , pp 818-819
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors