Fludarabine and cytarabine in patients with relapsed acute myeloid leukemia refractory to initial salvage therapy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The most effective regimen for relapsed acute myeloid leukemia (AML) patients who do not achieve complete remission (CR) after a course of salvage therapy has not been established. We evaluated the efficacy and toxicity of fludarabine and cytarabine in patients with AML in first relapse who did not respond to a course of salvage chemotherapy with mitoxantrone and etoposide. CR was achieved in 39 % of treated patients, and in 47 % of patients with a favorable/intermediate-risk karyotype. The median overall survival was 4.75 months. The median survival for patients achieving CR with fludarabine–cytarabine was significantly higher than for those who did not respond to therapy (9.6 vs. 4.5 months, P = 0.04). Our data suggest that the fludarabine–cytarabine regimen merits further investigation in relapsed AML patients with favorable or intermediate-risk karyotype with persistent leukemia after a course of salvage therapy.
- Rowe JM, Tallman MS. How I treat acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2010;116:3147–56. CrossRef
- Burnett A, Wetzler M, Lowenberg B. Therapeutic advances in acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29:487–94. CrossRef
- Gupta V, Tallman MS, Weisdorf DJ. Allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation for adults with acute myeloid leukemia: myths, controversies, and unknowns. Blood. 2011;117:2307–18. CrossRef
- Dohner H, Estey EH, Amadori S, et al. Diagnosis and management of acute myeloid leukemia in adults: recommendations from an international expert panel, on behalf of the European LeukemiaNet. Blood. 2010;115:453–74. CrossRef
- Bishop JF, Matthews JP, Young GA, et al. A randomized study of high-dose cytarabine in induction in acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 1996;87:1710–7.
- Capizzi RL. Curative chemotherapy for acute myeloid leukemia: the development of high-dose ara-C from the laboratory to bedside. Invest New Drugs. 1996;14:249–56. CrossRef
- Mayer RJ, Davis RB, Schiffer CA, et al. Intensive postremission chemotherapy in adults with acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer and Leukemia Group B. N Engl J Med. 1994;331:896–903. CrossRef
- Gandhi V, Estey E, Keating MJ, et al. Fludarabine potentiates metabolism of cytarabine in patients with acute myelogenous leukemia during therapy. J Clin Oncol. 1993;11:116–24.
- Estey E, Plunkett W, Gandhi V, et al. Fludarabine and arabinosylcytosine therapy of refractory and relapsed acute myelogenous leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 1993;9:343–50. CrossRef
- Estey E, Thall P, Andreeff M, et al. Use of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor before, during, and after fludarabine plus cytarabine induction therapy of newly diagnosed acute myelogenous leukemia or myelodysplastic syndromes: comparison with fludarabine plus cytarabine without granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. J Clin Oncol. 1994;12:671–8.
- Vidarsson B, Abonour R, Williams EC, et al. Fludarabine and cytarabine as a sequential infusion regimen for treatment of adults with recurrent, refractory or poor prognosis acute leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2001;41:321–31. CrossRef
- Mehta DR, Foon KA, Redner RL, et al. Fludarabine and cytarabine in patients with acute myeloid leukemia refractory to two different courses of front-line chemotherapy. Leuk Res. 2011;35:885–8. CrossRef
- Byrd JC, Mrozek K, Dodge RK, et al. Pretreatment cytogenetic abnormalities are predictive of induction success, cumulative incidence of relapse, and overall survival in adult patients with de novo acute myeloid leukemia: results from Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB 8461). Blood. 2002;100:4325–36. CrossRef
- Slovak ML, Kopecky KJ, Cassileth PA, et al. Karyotypic analysis predicts outcome of preremission and postremission therapy in adult acute myeloid leukemia: a Southwest Oncology Group/Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study. Blood. 2000;96:4075–83.
- Cheson BD, Bennett JM, Kopecky KJ, et al. Revised recommendations of the International Working Group for Diagnosis, Standardization of Response Criteria, Treatment Outcomes, and Reporting Standards for Therapeutic Trials in Acute Myeloid Leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:4642–9. CrossRef
- Breems DA, Van Putten WL, Huijgens PC, et al. Prognostic index for adult patients with acute myeloid leukemia in first relapse. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:1969–78. CrossRef
- Giles F, O’Brien S, Cortes J, et al. Outcome of patients with acute myelogenous leukemia after second salvage therapy. Cancer. 2005;104:547–54. CrossRef
- Leopold LH, Willemze R. The treatment of acute myeloid leukemia in first relapse: a comprehensive review of the literature. Leuk Lymphoma. 2002;43:1715–27. CrossRef
- Fludarabine and cytarabine in patients with relapsed acute myeloid leukemia refractory to initial salvage therapy
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 96, Issue 6 , pp 743-747
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Acute myeloid leukemia
- Relapse leukemia
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Hematology and Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 5150 Center Ave, Suite 572, Pittsburgh, PA, 15232, USA